Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model a Ford power unit "Finished"

mchook

I'm going to try to build this type of power unit. When I was a kid my father had a couple of these that he used when he was a kid to cut firewood. They were belt driven to an old buzz saw. He used the Model T one for an engine stand for years too. The Model A was mounted on the back of an old 37 Chevy running Chassis. I'm not sure if we have any pictures of them, I'll have to check. I don't have much done yet, but here's what I have so far.

DSCN2401.jpg

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

Wow , thanks for all the great comments. I didn't think anyone would be interested in this type of build, it's not a cool hot rod or muscle car. 

On 12/25/2017 at 5:00 AM, Mattblack said:

Very cool and different project! I have a 'thing' for stationary engines, was that set up a factory produced thing, a kit or home brewed?

I' know that Montgomery Ward & Sears had these types of conversions. The Model A we had as a kid was a cut off car chassis with a cowl & the part for the transmission. The Model T was a cart conversion like this.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:11 PM, waynehulsey said:

Interesting project. Have photographed several at various tractor and engine shows. Here's a couple of shots of a Model A engine converted to an air compressor by Gordon Smith.

Gordon Smith 1932-35 air compressor side rt detail.JPG

Gordon Smith 1932-35 air compressor side rt.JPG

That's funny, we had one of these too that my father used for sand blasting. His was a B model cut off with the Gordon Head. I'll see if I can find some pics of it.

So I got the cart about finished, I need to make a battery box, a few more brackets and get some paint on it. It's still a little cold ( about 6 degrees) so I don't see any paint getting on it today. 

mafpu 004.JPG

mafpu 013.JPG

mafpu 014.JPG

mafpu 015.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2017 at 11:03 AM, bbowser said:

Those wheels are cool.  Scratch built or?

Thanks! Kind of? I found them in my Model A parts box. They're from different kits & just the outer part of the wheel with some styrene around the outside.

• mchook changed the title to 1929 Model a Ford power unit "Finished"