[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Status   07/20/2018

Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
curt raitz

Curtis Turners First Win in NASCAR

Hello, I'm gonna post this search in Randy Ayers Nascar Web Page after it's update is complete.

But, I'd thought about giving you dudes and dudettes a shot.

I'm on a quest to build models of the cars Curtis Turner raced through out his career.

When completed they will be donated to the Curtis Turner Display in the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke, VA.

The only car I cannot find a photograph of is his first win in NASCAR...1949 Oldsmobile at Langhorne Speedway.

The car was sponsored and or owned by Hubert Westmoreland, whoever he was.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer. B)

Awesome endeavor! 

Sorry, that I am no help to your quest, but I wish you much luck! And I think your idea is fantastic and a vital part of racing history!   Kevin

Curtis,

I've looked threw every nascar history book, old programs, and  yet  to find a picture,   tried Hubert West moreland,  record speed of 69. mph , Looked up Langhome Pa. speedway. No luck what so ever,,,  Still looking, you go me wondering,,,

P.S.   Racers Reunion. com  oct16 1949,  There is a picture of turners #41 olds,  white ,   racing the #71

Edited by rel14

1 minute ago, curt raitz said:

It was 41

thanks, looks like car owner Westmoreland was a known "bootlegger and whiskey mechanic" - a couple of references in the Noel Thompson's book Driving with the Devil about Raymond Parks and the birth of NASCAR.  Unfortunately, no Curtis Turner pics in the book...  Westmoreland's car finished first in the first NASACAR race of 1949 but was disqualified after inspection when an unapproved modification was found in the rear suspension. 

On 12/11/2017 at 5:44 AM, oldnslow said:

maybe this ?

CurtisTurnerOlds53.jpg?timestamp=1391226

Close, but not his winning car in '49...this is one of his cars he raced in '50, thanx

13 hours ago, davysmodels said:

Thanx, I have most of these photos, but a couple I did not have. No '49 winner, yet...

Here is a small picture of the #41 Curtis Turner car from a book called "The NASCAR VAULT"...........hope it helps.

IMG_20171212_0002.thumb.jpg.20972c77aceda99380b91c5736ece732.jpg

13 hours ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

Here is a small picture of the #41 Curtis Turner car from a book called "The NASCAR VAULT"...........hope it helps.

IMG_20171212_0002.thumb.jpg.20972c77aceda99380b91c5736ece732.jpg

Is the #27 car a Kiaser Frazer ??