Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about '67 Daytona 24 hrs FORD GT 40 no.2

Hi all,

I'm planning on building No. 2 Shelby Ford GT40 mk II that raced at the 1967 Daytona 24 hrs using a Fujimi kit. From the ref. pictures I found below, the inside of the rear spoiler was painted an off-white/yellow? color. Does anyone know what this color actually was? Thanks!

kSBQIqT.jpg

i4fN6Af.jpg

yUbRAaP.jpg

It appears that the third (last picture) shows the car at check-in, tech inspection.  The other two pics are either race day or very close to that in practice, and the rear spoiler is CLEARLY yellow.  Such detail changes were, and still are, quite common, during the time frame from when a race car arrives for a major racing event,  going through practice, and finally on race day.  As for the "shade" of yellow, who knows now just exactly that was, looking at photo's taken 50 some years ago?   If it were my model, I'd be very comfortable using Testors 1114 Gloss Yellow--I can't imagine anyone arguing against that, with any credibility whatsoever.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

17 minutes ago, Art Anderson said:

It appears that the third (last picture) shows the car at check-in, tech inspection.  The other two pics are either race day or very close to that in practice, and the rear spoiler is CLEARLY yellow.  Such detail changes were, and still are, quite common, during the time frame from when a race car arrives for a major racing event,  going through practice, and finally on race day.  As for the "shade" of yellow, who knows now just exactly that was, looking at photo's taken 50 some years ago?   If it were my model, I'd be very comfortable using Testors 1114 Gloss Yellow--I can't imagine anyone arguing against that, with any credibility whatsoever.

Art

Thanks Art. Per your advice I’ll probably go with whatever generic yellow close to testors 1114 I’ve got in the spare box.

Edited by FabbricaP

My guess is that they decided that they needed more downforce and had the yellow with black stripes one leftover from another car and just pop riveted it to the one already on the car. Maybe from the 1966 LeMans #8 car?

GT40.PNG

Edited by oldcarfan

On 12/9/2017 at 2:43 PM, vamach1 said:

I noticed the "suitcases" in the third picture.  Did they have to race with them at Sebring or Daytona?

Sebring & Daytona were part of the FIA world Championship in '67.  Therefore the FIA rules applied which required the suit case boxes and a spare tire/wheel be carried.

The box art shows the yellow spoiler extension:

b15e1d0a5be26a4074499f8ba591ae96.jpg

Since the yellow #1 car was raced with the older style rear clip from the 'J' car that weekend,
they might have nicked the spoiler extension from it's regular rear deck and pop riveted it to the #2 car.

Edited by Junkman

Thanks for the info everybody. I'm going to be building with the '66 Sebring 12hr Fujimi kit. It looks like it is packaged pretty much the same as the Fujimi '67 Daytona ver. with the extra sprue with rear fender extensions. Looking forward to starting in on this build this weekend.

Edited by FabbricaP