Model Cars Magazine Forum

76 Buick Century Project

DoctorLarry

My latest two projects are Collonade Buicks: 73 Gran Sport and a 76 Century Indy pace Car.  The 73 just needs final touches: grille, marker lights, locks and bumpers and it is pretty well done .  The 76 is a work in progress.  The Pace Car version had the formal roof with the V shaped rear window so I started with a glue bomb 75 JoHan Cutlass for the correct body scale and the roof of a 77 Revell Monte Carlo that I had chopped up for something else. Strip styrene to get the correct shape as well as grinding off the "pontoons" on the side of the Cutlass.  Glued on the front end of a 77 Cutlass resin Nascar body and got out the Dremel and Squadron and Tamiya putty.  Just like bodywork on a car to get the lines right.

76 century pace car passenger.jpg

76 century pace car rear.jpg

76 pace car driver side.jpg

driver side century primer.jpg

passenger side century filler.jpg

76 century pace car front.jpg

century front primer.jpg

I'm definitely following this! These were sharp cars in their day IMO, and you just don't see 'em anymore. Unfortunately, GM had indifferent build quality back in those days, and many of them succumbed to the dreaded tinworm.

One project I have on my radar is the '76-'77 Olds Cutlass Supreme, doing something somewhat similar that you're doing with your Monte Carlo roof and the Johan '75 Olds Cutlass. I've got all the bits and pieces (with spare Monte bodies) to start it, but other projects will take priority.

One of these days though............... :D

Keep up the good work!

Cool, My cousin Ron had a '76 Free Spirit Century back about '86 or '87. I drove it a couple times. Man, what I great car!

The paint and decals were pretty faded but it went like snot and handles like it was on rails. 

I do have one pic of the car I could post but be forewarned, in the pic Ron's standing in front of the car in just cutoff jeans. IIRC, a bunch of us went to the water park that day. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love Christmas vacation. No meetings, no student problems, time to rest.  Got a little more done on my pace car.  I still don't think the front end is right and I have to fit things, fix all of the body lines, put on marker lights and create bumpers and spoilers.  I hope to have this done shortly. I modeled the car used at Pikes Peak-it had the bulged hood and T-tops.

pace car driver side resin.jpg

pace car front resin.jpg

pace car rear resin.jpg

pace car side resin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...