Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chinese six rat rod!

retired chopper pilot

Going to be doing a chinese 6 rat rod!...
2d2ew6a.jpg

Anyone not familiar with a chinese 6 layout? it is two steer axles and (usually) one drive axle.
34orgqu.jpg

So I have to make a new chassis - on it's way,and use two identical front axles - - got two kits so one can be robbed.Both kits have a choice of straight or dropped axle,the engine well I have a choice - a diesel or a 1500 ci V12...methinks it will be the 12!!!
2e4ytr8.jpg

She is having a mild roof chop.
23lxzrq.jpg

With the fabric centre removed.
more soon.
ea2ukx.jpg

Thanks Gerand.

Going through the decals I discovered two sheets.(stuck together but mint!)
2usczye.jpg

Opened the roof last night,got some salt on the primer today.
2w2ppxg.jpg

You can see by this how much the roof has been chopped by.
2drhxs2.jpg

Then some flat green - US or IJN not sure now....
f3ie7s.jpg

24yy6uh.jpg

Followed by more salt..
m7ylif.jpg

qqwtvp.jpg

Followed by another colour,will do that in a few hours.

It snowed overnight so perhaps the slicks are a bad idea!!
1zr14sw.jpg

This is the transmission that will be used.
23wtq15.jpg

Dressed up what if style with water pump,starter etc,plus valve covers.
oi6lh4.jpg

A comparison with the Bugatti straight 8.
2hft8c1.jpg

The aprox position I want..
e0065w.jpg

And primed.
b5qvtg.jpg

Got the engine sprayed gold,the pipe are being cut down a bit.
2i0nrc.jpg

The plastruct has arrived,it is 4.5x5mm and just right for sleeving the original chassis.Also the orig floor is being cut out.
smys1s.jpg

Just to give you an idea on the lengthening.
6fpmoh.jpg

What I am aiming for.....
e6axzp.jpg

Stripping some of the chrome with bleach,but if poss want to keep the reflector portion.

2dl8wzp.jpg

Was thinking about the turbo situation and think it would be better if all the ports feed the turbine..
sfdm5g.jpg

2a8mf5c.jpg

Fitting the toeboard/floorboards to the tub.
2u8xz6q.jpg

Here it is after 3 coats of rust treatment........
w18zdh.jpg

359mxid.jpg

2mxpp5h.jpg

1251755.jpg

What she looks like now.
23vj7t0.jpg

5 hours ago, retired chopper pilot said:

Thanks,compared the last two comments I did not consider posting here anymore.But might do so now,guess they would like another 32 etc............

I am open to many styles of builds. I like seeing ingenuity and art take many shapes. There are a LOT of people on this forum that look, but do not post. A recent project of mine has over 250 views, and only one reply. I cont's automatically take that to mean that folks do not like it, they just don't have anything to say about it. Sometimes people are interested, sometimes note. Sometimes when they are, they comment, sometimes they do not. I am guilty of not always posting, even when I like something, but I try to. I try to offer encouragement, tips when/where I can, learn when/where I can, etc. Built on, post away.

21 hours ago, retired chopper pilot said:

Fair enough gents,will continue as and when.

Glad to see you are proceeding with your build. I have been a watcher with little to offer since I'm still trying to fully understand what all you have designed here. Very creative especially the steering. A thought on the transmission. Is there another option for a transmission that might be better equipped for this engines torque. The differential would also need to be heavy duty and maybe even duel rear tires to aid in traction. This is an adventurous build for sure and I will continue watching to see what all you have in mind.    

I LOVE IT. I admire modelers who explore boldly. Why? Because I'm not talented that way but wish I was. It's about the idea, and the ideas inspire me. There's lots of room in modeling for creative exploration, let the engineers sweat the details. I see things you're doing and it gets my mind whirling about how I could interpret something you've done into a project of my own. I'd like to see what else you've done.

Here's a link to a site I've bookmarked because this guy does wacky and unapologetic creating. It inspires me and I refer to it from time to time.

http://www.markrodill.com/models.html

2 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I LOVE IT. I admire modelers who explore boldly. Why? Because I'm not talented that way but wish I was. It's about the idea, and the ideas inspire me. There's lots of room in modeling for creative exploration, let the engineers sweat the details. I see things you're doing and it gets my mind whirling about how I could interpret something you've done into a project of my own. I'd like to see what else you've done.

Here's a link to a site I've bookmarked because this guy does wacky and unapologetic creating. It inspires me and I refer to it from time to time.

http://www.markrodill.com/models.html

Cheers Mike.:D

6 hours ago, espo said:

Glad to see you are proceeding with your build. I have been a watcher with little to offer since I'm still trying to fully understand what all you have designed here. Very creative especially the steering. A thought on the transmission. Is there another option for a transmission that might be better equipped for this engines torque. The differential would also need to be heavy duty and maybe even duel rear tires to aid in traction. This is an adventurous build for sure and I will continue watching to see what all you have in mind.    

Thanks David,re the tranny one guy built a car with a merlin and used a bus tranny.I am going to be doin a dualy rear end,just have to finish off what I am doing at the mo...A teaser......

First of all the cab- it went well and there no severe gap.I did this repair for the sake of it.

9sbbr6.jpg

Got the engines sprayed silver.

2a7buz9.jpg

The bronco interior is done in light yeller!

c8dn9.jpg

2v0zf4m.jpg

I decided that I needed another recovery vehicle a TRACTOR  my old local track had a couple of tractors...

2hp3e36.jpg

The engine/transmisssion.

or5wxt.jpg

Pretty much the entire kit!

2s7hp8x.jpg

2m2wal1.jpg

Was trying to make some sense of the original build, then suddenly you begin two more builds in the same thread.  Now I am completely lost as to what you are doing or trying to accomplish.  If I am not mistaken those two new builds are also included in another post titled "Ford Banger" or something to that affect.  Please return to the original build in this thread.  I have an Allison V-12 build in the planning stage and would like to see how some others attack this much horsepower.