Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 352 - Finished

Yes this time It was bit tricky. Some said It is a Fiat 1200 Cabriolet, some said a Fiat 1500 Cabriolet. What is the correct answer? It is  a 1961 Fiat 1500 S Cabriolet. This car was build from 1958 to 1961. The Main differences between the 1200 and the 1500 are:

Displacement

Tire size

Bigger hood scoop 

Grill mesh 

Autoquiz 352.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

In fairness Skip, your pictures do clearly show the differences in wheel and scoop size and the grill design that distinguish the two models, as Michael says.

The difference in engine displacement is not so evident!

Cheers,

-Don.

That hood scoop derailed me for some time... I was sure it was some kind of Datsun Fairlady SR311 variant/precursor:

1024px-SR311_DATSUN-FAIRLADY_001.JPG

As it is, if you look at the Fiat 1500 and the follow-up 124 Spider, you can see what the Datsun designers ran through the blender to get the SR311... Fortunately I then followed the California Spider look through to my enormous Pininfarina book, and there it was...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

If I remember correctly, the hood scoops on the non-S models, besides being somewhat smaller, were non-functional, with an ornamental stuffer in the opening. The S versions fitted with the twincam twin-Weber OSCA engines actually drew air from the scoop.

In all fairness to Skip, it can be hard to distinguish photos of "S" cars from non-S, especially these days, where the hood or scoop trim may have been replaced, or the photos simply incorrectly labeled.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I doubt someone went to the trouble to change bonnet, wheels and grill, and even if they did, you can only go on what the image shows you.

The point of the game is in the details, to my mind - but it is only a game!

Keep it up Michael.

-Don.