Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge Polara 500 GB

59 Impala

I was gettin ready to spray the Plum Crazy on when I found these sink marks on the trunk. Bummer big time. So, I had to go and try and fix them. I think I got them fixed and then I just got done paintin the Plum Crazy a few minutes ago. There is a little dust speckles on the roof but, I think I can just rub them out when this is dry. Now, what I need to know is what color undercoat did they use for the chassis. Was it Red Oxide or a gray primer. If ya know, please let me know. Thanks.

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

As a long time MoPar owner I can tell you the primer is gray but most of the underside is body colored over spray. (My T&C minivan doesn't have much over spray beyond the rocker panels, but thats's a much newer and different vehicle).Also most have been undercoated black.

Cars of your model's era use a low gloss black for the frame rails, suspension, steering, rear axle & drive shaft.

Even though these components all use this same approximate color, you may want to use different blacks on the various components to add a little detail interest. The black on 1:1 cars isn't a perfect match from part to part since they are made of different materials and painted at different times at different locations with different paint lots, and possibly different paint formulas/suppliers/manufacturers, (but you probably already know that :) )

Edited by #1 model citizen

Thanks Ted.  One thing is, I'm not looking forward to the chrome on this car cause, there is a lot of it.  This will have to set for a few days so the paint will cure.  It is still a little tacky today.  When it's ready, I'll put on the chrome with BMF and maybe some with the chrome pen from molotow.  Dan

• 1 month later...

Well, I sprayed the clear coat on and had to sand it and do it all over again.  I used Testors one coat clear decanted and sprayed thru my air brush.  I don't know if there was something wrong with the brush or the clear.  Anyway, I sprayed the clear again and had the same result.  Sanded it again and then I polished it and it turned out just fine.  I got all the tiny blobs of clear sanded out and it looks Ok now.  Next is the BMF and I'm not looking forward to this cause there's a lot of it on this car.  Dan

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

On 12/11/2017 at 8:19 PM, 59 Impala said:

I used finger nail resin that I got at Sally's Beauty supply.  What I used for the mold is Amazing Mold Putty made by Alumilite.  I got that at Micheal's craft shop.  It's a two part putty that you mix in equal parts and while it's still playable place it over what ever you want to make a mold of.  After it cures (about ten to fifteen) minutes you can remove it and place it where you want to fix the broken part.  I did tape the mold in place just to hold it tight and then sprinkled the powder in the mold.  Next, I just placed drops of the Bonding Acrylic Liquid on the powder and let it set and harden.  This stuff is hard and works great for repairing missing parts.  I have had great results using it to repair a few car bodies that were broken or were short shot from the factory.  Now, you do need another part to make your mold from.  The Acrylic Bonding material is made by Aspire and this is the stuff that I use.  The liquid does have a strong smell to it and should be used in a well ventilated area.  I LOVE using this stuff and I've saved a few cars from the trash because of it.  I can post pics of the different cars that I've used this on if anyone is interested.   Dan

That A pillar recovery looks great"

I'd love to see a tutorial (with pictures) of the how-to process. This could save a lot of us model builders a lot of work and end up with great results!

• Like 1

Ok, I'll try my best here with these pictures and my words.  LOL

Here you can see what I started with.

IMG_4558.JPG.702f457fcfd9c17f0d5fc2f9323f3b33.JPG

This is another Dodge that I used for the mold.

IMG_4559.JPG.71c7e05978b7dd107d0ee480d7e271df.JPG

What I used is Amazing Mold Putty that I got at Micheal's craft store.  It's a two part putty that you mix 50 50 and place it over what you want to make a mold of.

IMG_4560.JPG.cacb6c8fd5637a4c28d8a4f3b2aa1dd3.JPG

Here you can see the results of making the mold.  It only takes a few minutes for this to harden up so you can use it.

IMG_4561.JPG.9080d97029b65179268959d0f5f24339.JPG

Now, here I taped the mold to the broken body.

IMG_4562.JPG.a2246942f33ae8296516026faddeaae4.JPG

Here you can see the fingernail resin that I use to fill in the mold.  The resin I got at Sally's Beauty Supply store.  It's a powder and liquid that you mix together to make the part.  This liquid has a real strong smell and should be used in a well ventilated area.  This cures pretty quick.  I made a few passes with the powder and liquid until it filled up the mold. 

IMG_4563.JPG.8540cfbab59ffb7942bd3b08f89a5a6c.JPG

Here is the results after the resin sets up.  There is some clean up to do and it is pretty easy to do.  This resin is hard but is easy to work with.  At least for me it is.

IMG_4564.JPG.81379fa03e9500883960c9a0143c1988.JPG

Here it is after clean up.  Looks like the original.

IMG_4567.JPG.f13af7185cc0f7d5c6f4a5dfe1257b62.JPG

After priming, you can't tell it from the original.  That's about it fellas.  I hope this helps someone in restoring missing parts.

IMG_4571.JPG.37d0ab215a400ff38ff4a81c7cdc95e5.JPG

Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

Edited by 59 Impala
  • Like 2

Thanks for the kind words guys.  I'll try to use the image Christopher and thanks.  Ricky, you don't have to worry about me and a dehydrator, cause I don't have one, and I won't ask ya how you know.  I think it happened to you already.  LOL, sorry bout that, and thanks for the information cause I'll let others in our club know about this.

Dan

I got a little more done on the Dodge last night.  I installed the engine and had to make the front exhaust pipes.  I also installed some BMF on it and had to take a brake after I got this much on it cause my eyes were starting to cross.  LOL.  It's gettin closer to being finished.  More work today.  Thanks fer lookin.

Dan

IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG