[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Well, can't say I've seen one of these posted here before.

This is Aoshima's Chevrolet Astro.

Minivan.

Loser Cruiser.

What moms drove before SUVs exploded in popularity.

I wanted a build I could crack out quickly and get out of a bit of a build slump. Mission accomplished.

I went box stock, in a colour suitable for a minivan. Tamiya's TS75 Champagne Gold.

It turned out okay. I can tell it was a little rushed, but it looks pretty good on the shelf. 

I'm just happy I finished something!

:)

IMG_20171001_1513491.jpg.af76f9ef74d262da9438ca51495ab455.jpg

IMG_20171209_1509498.jpg.58d7a5bbc18cb2ee2fbddd85dc1797a4.jpg

IMG_20171209_1510173.jpg.2ddf473097a2151f1a9db407d46f9d18.jpg

IMG_20171209_1511036.jpg.937481f16bcc77f83aa836e89b84aafb.jpg

With all the van people here I'm surprised I can't remember seeing one of these, unless it's my wavering memory!

Very nice job

Think this is the first one I've seen built,the pic of the front grill for a second looked real and not a model.

14 hours ago, kelson said:

Think this is the first one I've seen built,the pic of the front grill for a second looked real and not a model.

WIth each build, my grilles get better. They've aalways been a weakness, tyring to get the depth and the details to show.

This kit is an easy build. Typical Japanese quality, ie, it goes together perfectly, everything fits perfectly, no flash, very little prep needed on the body in the way of mold lines. You can't see much of the interior when done, and it is curbside.

The kit doesn't come with extra parts, but the parts can be configured to build at stock height like I did, or to build it lowered. I almost did that, but wanted to stick with a soccer mom vibe. I might buy another to customize. Lowered, maybe new wheels. Build it in Dajiban style maybe!

It's also meant to depict an export model, hence the rear bumper with cutouts for the rear foglight/reverse light.

Look at all those cup holders!  Really well done model of a seldom seen subject.  These vans used to be everywhere.

I ordered up another one, going to build it as a custom. Thought about ordering a couple, as turning one into a base cargo van could be interesting.

:)

That looks pretty good all the way around. A wonderful factory stock subject. Reminds of when I drove one of these summer of '98 as a courtesy driver for the local GM dealer. Good times.

Nice! I have one of these about 95% finished, but when I had it mocked up and painted I sort of lost interest. Yours is giving me second thoughts... :)

Outstanding model. We have owned four real Astros over the years and use  them to set up at you shows so imagine one of these crammed full of vintage model kits unloading at your house. Thanks for sharing.

Mighty fine looking build.  That color was quite popular and in some sense still is in the SUV crowd.  The only thing I see missing are a couple of french fries in the floor board.:rolleyes:  Looking forward to your custom version.

Really nice to see one of these built. I wish I had bought some of these kits when I could. Looks like they are more difficult to get hold of now.

I sold a lot of Chevy Astro Vans when I was in the business. They were built not too far from me at the Baltimore plant. I bought this kit when it first came out, and noticed that is indeed a non U.S. spec van, as it is a cross between an LS and LT trim level. I only wish that they did a cargo version  of this kit. It would have sold well.

The build is very nicely done.

This is cool, I need to get one now. I certainly haven’t seen one on the shelves anywhere, ever.