Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crazy Weekend...

KWT

Friday, Dec 8 2017...

Started like any other friday. Up for work early. Hour long commute. Training a 19 yr old to assist me.. with a pizz poor attitude and lazy streak a mile wide... after they took away my capable help. As the day went on, I text my brother happy birthday. The day got busier and busier... A posting went up about overtime starting the following week. "10 hr days, 7 days a week, for the remainder of the year"... The dock became over crowded. My trainee and his laziness putting me further and further behind. Considered volunteering to stay over, but decided to go on home at quitting time since overtime was about to become abundant...

Hour long commute home... decided to swing by my parents.

As get out of the car I went down to the dog, which I don't gel with... we have a mutual dislike of each other... but today he was being affectionate??

I enter the house, and find the basement door open, which isn't unusual as somebody is always downstairs doing laundry. I take my coat off, and pitch my phone on the couch. Start down the hall to use the bathroom and yell down to my mom that I was there. As I walk by the door I notice something in the floor beside the steps. It was my mom.. I raced down the steps fearing the worse. She spoke to me... "I fell. Can you get me up?" There was blood everywhere... and coming from everywhere too. I told her lay still and ran back up stairs, called for help, and back down to comfort her...

The ambulance arrived. As they were tending to her and remodeled their basement enough that you could land a small plane in it. They life-flighted her to Nashville, and me and the family headed out in pursuit. Arriving at the hospital, we had to be searched for weapons as I guess its in a bad part of town... which was evident as sat with an over abundance of crack heads and gun shot victims.

Finally getting to go back and see her, I was in the room only for a moment when she said she felt nauseous and vomited. I was afraid she'd choke, so I screamed for help only to have a orderly  walk by me like I wasn't even there and 2 nurses across the hall on their cellphones... finally another nurse walked up to my 17 yr old and asked what my problem was, then jumped into action after seeing what was up.

We then found out that when they had gotten there, they had rolled her into a staging area and left her, and they had "misplaced" all her belongings also. When my dad was telling us all this, I flipped my lid and a nurse that works there, that just happens to work with my mom at the local hospital did also...

Eventually the next morning, they moved her up stairs to the trauma unit. The tests started coming back... She has a separated ac joint/collar joint, hair line fractures in her spine, broken bones in her face, and a brain bleed... and all of it inoperable... But they said the bleeding was all they was worried about, and it was appearing to shrink... They said that she had sustained the best possible injuries she could have.

The next day, she was alert and talking. They had her sitting in a chair and up walking...and they moved her out of the trauma unit. When they got her in her new room, all her "misplaced" stuff was laying on the bed...

It's now 3 days since it happened and they are talking about transfering her to the local hospital for rehabilitation, and that they believe the only worry is blood clots... And her only worries is, She missed my brothers birthday, going to miss my son's final christmas concert tonight, and who's feeding the dog..lol. She told me that she had fell after my sister had left for work... at 12:30pm... She couldn't find her cellphone as it had landed on the opposite side of the steps. She couldn't crawl to get up because she was in too much pain, and had decided to just lay and wait til I got in... at 4:30pm.

I am so glad I decided to not stay over... and I am so very thankful for what is happening at this moment... prayer is amazing... and GOD is great...

We have always talked about having the washer and dryer moved one day, because they were getting older. Didn't expect to ever have this happen... but it looks as if my mom is finally going to get her sun room. And there's going to be a washer and dryer in the back corner of it. Hug your families and let 'em know you love 'em.

Sorry for the long winded story... and for whatever rules, if any, this may break... but dangit, I gotta vent..lol.

And BTW... to the punk that walked by me friday night, when I needed help... I know your face... we will crossed paths again one day... you will not be as happy to see me, as I will you...

Funny how things work out- you deciding to not work overtime might have saved your Mom's life! Take care of her and make sure she gets that new laundry room, I would hate for you to have to re-live that experience again.

Best wishes for a speedy, full recovery and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, mikemodeler said:

Funny how things work out- you deciding to not work overtime might have saved your Mom's life! Take care of her and make sure she gets that new laundry room, I would hate for you to have to re-live that experience again.

Best wishes for a speedy, full recovery and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

x2

Thanks for the kind words, all of you... Between the advise and the support (not just model related), this place does a heart good.

I have an update as well... it looks as if she may be getting transferred to the local hospital by the weekend. That is also where she works... they are like family to her, and ready to take care of her.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:03 PM, PorkChopPaws said:

Man you are a hero.I hope you and your mom get better real soon. 

Thank you most definitely, but no... the heroes are those two ambulance guys that were there in less than 10 mins and sprung into action.

Folks, my mom got transferred yesterday to the local hospital where she works. There were a lot of crying nurses when they wheeled her into the hospital.

Today starts the rehab process. It's gonna be a long road, but she's pretty excited to be back.

Wow!  Life can go on uneventful and things can go very wrong in a second!   I had chills as I read your story.  I'm happy to hear your mom is okay and will get celebrity treatment in her own hospital!   Hope the holidays are good for your family, you have something to be grateful for!

Folks, we are 2 weeks from the fall... And tonight, they discharged her. She is home in her recliner just in time for Christmas.

Gonna continue her physical therapy as an outpatient. And back and forth for check ups.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers and all the good juju you guys shared. We all appreciate it, Tremendously!

• 1 month later...

Well folks, my mom has been doing rehab 3 days a week for the last month. Steadily improving along the way. Still along way to go. 

One of her Drs gave her a small setback, by telling her he didn't see her being able to perform her job like she did before... But my mom won't have it... "I'll prove you wrong, you son of a *gun*...  I'll prove you all wrong!" 

Last week they discarded her neck brace and cleared her to drive. We still got a long way to go, but have come miles from where we were.