Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth Aerodyne has been spotted on shelves

DrKerry

He probably saw the new Revell KW Aerodyne, I believe the only AMT done lately was the Papa truck version. I sure wish the Papa trucks would've shown up in Hobby Lobby like the Super Bosses did.

Speaking of Aerodyne COEs, I saw a beautiful blue one pulling a livestock trailer today. I was a later model with rectangular headlights. Seeing any cabovers around here is rare, and seeing an Aerodyne was a real rarity.

8 hours ago, Mike77 said:

He probably saw the new Revell KW Aerodyne, I believe the only AMT done lately was the Papa truck version. I sure wish the Papa trucks would've shown up in Hobby Lobby like the Super Bosses did.

Speaking of Aerodyne COEs, I saw a beautiful blue one pulling a livestock trailer today. I was a later model with rectangular headlights. Seeing any cabovers around here is rare, and seeing an Aerodyne was a real rarity.

AMT, well Round 2.... was to re pop this in the third quarter and is supposed to be out around now, I know I read that awhile back unless it got tanked.... Not sure now!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

While it may be the Aerodyne version that is basically the same as this flattop from Revell,

20170714_231809.thumb.jpg.3a83ffde9b783e54f773dc4cfdbee3b2.jpg

in a way, whether the AMT Aerodyne has been reissued or not, it is still on the shelves. 

The reason I say that the old AMT Aerodyne is basically on the shelves now is that the Papa Truck is the same kit, just with a slightly longer frame for the hauler bed. The painted frame in the pic is from the AMT Aerodyne, and the white frame rail beside it is from the Papa Truck.

HPIM4785.thumb.JPG.4a7f2185922010bf1260f998f8cb14c9.JPG

The advantage of the AMT is if you like the longer frame look like I do, either the regular Aerodyne or the Papa Truck (though you have to get a parts box fifth wheel) does give that. The frist pic is a Moebius 53 on the older AMT Aerodyne and the second is with the Papa Truck frame. 

HPIM47761_zpsxpwiol2t.jpg.5de699d90c9c1fd303eeefaafbb1a7d9.jpg

20160927_231351.thumb.jpg.4932573d7b5dd1d34e06140958d1062c.jpg

5 hours ago, highway said:

While it may be the Aerodyne version that is basically the same as this flattop from Revell,

20170714_231809.thumb.jpg.3a83ffde9b783e54f773dc4cfdbee3b2.jpg

in a way, whether the AMT Aerodyne has been reissued or not, it is still on the shelves. 

The reason I say that the old AMT Aerodyne is basically on the shelves now is that the Papa Truck is the same kit, just with a slightly longer frame for the hauler bed. The painted frame in the pic is from the AMT Aerodyne, and the white frame rail beside it is from the Papa Truck.

HPIM4785.thumb.JPG.4a7f2185922010bf1260f998f8cb14c9.JPG

The advantage of the AMT is if you like the longer frame look like I do, either the regular Aerodyne or the Papa Truck (though you have to get a parts box fifth wheel) does give that. The frist pic is a Moebius 53 on the older AMT Aerodyne and the second is with the Papa Truck frame. 

HPIM47761_zpsxpwiol2t.jpg.5de699d90c9c1fd303eeefaafbb1a7d9.jpg

20160927_231351.thumb.jpg.4932573d7b5dd1d34e06140958d1062c.jpg

That’s what I want to build!!! The BJ and the Bear rig!!! I have the Papa truck and deciding if I want to do a close to the BJ truck or so a kustom like you did here!! Either way gotta find a trailer and order the decal set!! 

What is the difference in length between the two? Only looks like an inch!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

6 hours ago, highway said:

Thanks for the info on the frames. I'll probably be using two of the Papa frames for the project I have warming up in the bullpen after I get my double-bunk Cruiseliner done.

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

That’s what I want to build!!! The BJ and the Bear rig!!! I have the Papa truck and deciding if I want to do a close to the BJ truck or so a kustom like you did here!! Either way gotta find a trailer and order the decal set!! 

What is the difference in length between the two? Only looks like an inch!!!!

If you would want to do a closer version of the BJ and the Bear rig like the original here owned by Paul Sagehorn, the Revell Aerodyne would save you a lot of cutting and modifying to the Papa Truck frame. 

100_0552.thumb.JPG.96063cc995d85988b0e11ee48a4a3688.JPG

If you want a close to correct trailer, the AMT Freuhauf beaded van trailer is close to the trailer, which was a Brown if I remember correctly. The rig in the picture is a real BJ and the Bear truck and trailer that has been restored. The owner Paul also has a restored "Movin On" Kenworth and actually used it to pick this one up from where it was hiding in the woods of Georgia. 

SANY0077.thumb.jpg.500fc2eb5dc7b2d13f333e85cd0800b4.jpg

As for the length, just going by my pic and not digging the shorter frame out of the parts box, it looks like the two frames are maybe only about a 1/2 inch different. 

By the way, the frame length isn't the only thing custom for my BJ and the Bear inspired rig! :lol: These are the stacks it will have along with a rough mock up of the intake stacks

HPIM4871.thumb.JPG.ed153211b532128be963320c8fa2d4e6.JPG

to let this big beast that will be hiding under the cab breathe!! 

20160909_010118.thumb.jpg.70c0787baab8b1e68e59a0ec75ae96f2.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike77 said:

Thanks for the info on the frames. I'll probably be using two of the Papa frames for the project I have warming up in the bullpen after I get my double-bunk Cruiseliner done.

You're welcome, and that is going to be a long beast! 

13 hours ago, DrKerry said:

AMT, well Round 2.... was to re pop this in the third quarter and is supposed to be out around now, I know I read that awhile back unless it got tanked.... Not sure now!!!!

I don't specifically remember that, but if so they cancelled it, because the only 4 KWs currently in distribution are the K123 COE - which did just get reissued on a limited run, the Papa Drag Truck, the Papa Hauler, and the recent reissue of the W-925.

10 hours ago, highway said:

If you would want to do a closer version of the BJ and the Bear rig like the original here owned by Paul Sagehorn, the Revell Aerodyne would save you a lot of cutting and modifying to the Papa Truck frame. 

100_0552.thumb.JPG.96063cc995d85988b0e11ee48a4a3688.JPG

If you want a close to correct trailer, the AMT Freuhauf beaded van trailer is close to the trailer, which was a Brown if I remember correctly. The rig in the picture is a real BJ and the Bear truck and trailer that has been restored. The owner Paul also has a restored "Movin On" Kenworth and actually used it to pick this one up from where it was hiding in the woods of Georgia. 

SANY0077.thumb.jpg.500fc2eb5dc7b2d13f333e85cd0800b4.jpg

As for the length, just going by my pic and not digging the shorter frame out of the parts box, it looks like the two frames are maybe only about a 1/2 inch different. 

By the way, the frame length isn't the only thing custom for my BJ and the Bear inspired rig! :lol: These are the stacks it will have along with a rough mock up of the intake stacks

HPIM4871.thumb.JPG.ed153211b532128be963320c8fa2d4e6.JPG

to let this big beast that will be hiding under the cab breathe!! 

20160909_010118.thumb.jpg.70c0787baab8b1e68e59a0ec75ae96f2.jpg

You're welcome, and that is going to be a long beast! 

Man that is a beaut!!!!!!!!!! Love the stacks!!!!

As for frame my friend has offered to trade me my stretched frame for the shorter stock one if I go that route. Which I probably will as I want to build the BJ truck in original form!!!! I may pick up another Papa truck and follow up with a kustom stretched cab over... I saw the pics of the original rig being picked up and that's kool that Paul has them both!!!!!! Great stuff!!!!

Now I have another trailer to find!!! How hard are the AMT Freuhauf beaded van trailers to find?? I haven't looked for one so I'm not sure!!

Thanks for the info and pics of your truck!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

The BJ trailer was a Brown and has a curbside door and a Thermo King reefer unit wich the AMT Fruehauf trailer doesn't have.
I have seen some use the Ertl Great Dane Reefer instead as it has both a curbside door and the right style reefer unit, just add some Evergreen half round .040 strips to even out the ribbing on the sides and it will look quite close, the curbside door is not exactly at the correct place but it's better than no door at all.
As for the truck chassis if you want to do the original BJ truck from the Papa Truck, the Papa Truck frame is 250 inch wheelbase and the BJ truck had a standard 180 inch (wich the Revell truck has), the difference is 70 inches, divide that with 25 to get it to scale...just over 71 millimeters.

Edited by Force

50 minutes ago, Force said:

The BJ trailer was a Brown and has a curbside door and a Thermo King reefer unit wich the AMT Fruehauf trailer doesn't have.
I have seen some use the Ertl Great Dane Reefer instead as it has both a curbside door and the right style reefer unit, just add some Evergreen half round .040 strips to even out the ribbing on the sides and it will look quite close, the curbside door is not exactly at the correct place but it's better than no door at all.
As for the truck chassis if you want to do the original BJ truck from the Papa Truck, the Papa Truck frame is 250 inch wheelbase and the BJ truck had a standard 180 inch (wich the Revell truck has), the difference is 70 inches, divide that with 25 to get it to scale...just over 71 millimeters.

With that trailer it doesn't show the curbside door on the box. Are there two different panels for the right side?? I just looked up the Ertl trailer and saw that...

OOps, edit!!!!!!! My blind self should of looked at better photos!!!!! I saw in another photo it does have the curbside door!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

On 12/12/2017 at 9:05 AM, DrKerry said:

Maybe this is what you were thinking of/had read?:

15 hours ago, DrKerry said:

With that trailer it doesn't show the curbside door on the box. Are there two different panels for the right side?? I just looked up the Ertl trailer and saw that...

OOps, edit!!!!!!! My blind self should of looked at better photos!!!!! I saw in another photo it does have the curbside door!!!!

Well I have a couple of them Ertl trailers so I knew what I was talking about. ;)
The Great Dane Reefer and Dry Goods trailer are basically the same except for the reefer unit, fuel tank and front panel.

27 minutes ago, Force said:

Well I have a couple of them Ertl trailers so I knew what I was talking about. ;)
The Great Dane Reefer and Dry Goods trailer are basically the same except for the reefer unit, fuel tank and front panel.

Figured ya knew more than I did anyway!!!!!! LOL I need to recheck my double checker!!!!!!!!!

Chatted with Paul on Facebook and he’s invited me up to see the trucks!!!! Really thinking about doing it!!!!! Would be kool to see in person and take pics of an American Icon in trucks!!!!!! Paul’s only three hours North of me and would be an easy drive!!!! Think I might head up there after the first of the year!!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

Chatted with Paul on Facebook and he’s invited me up to see the trucks!!!! Really thinking about doing it!!!!! Would be kool to see in person and take pics of an American Icon in trucks!!!!!! Paul’s only three hours North of me and would be an easy drive!!!! Think I might head up there after the first of the year!!!!!!!

TAKE MANY PICS!!!