Model Cars Magazine Forum

King Tiger Tank ("Anneliese") in progress

This is Dragon's kit #6312. The Zimmerit anti-magnetic coating was done with Milliput Superfine White epoxy putty. The pattern was made by rolling a lid from a Tamiya paint jar onto the putty. I didn't want it to be stark white. The weathering would be representative of the snow first starting to melt. Most of these techniques are new to me. The last time I built a model tank was about 20 years ago.

Here are a few pics from start to where I am now.

2v2uCDpfnxeZA4.jpg

2v2uFWpguxeZA4.jpg

2v2udifULxeZA4.jpg

2v2uyoDznxeZA4.jpg

2v2uNKEuNxeZA4.jpg

It's 1/35. The numbers and Balkan cross are hand painted. One pic has a test piece for Zimmerit and painting on the markings. I cheated a little bit. I used wide Tamiya tape to make a rectangle mask the had lines representing the borders for the numbers. I continued the lines onto the Zimmerit with a sharp pencil, then filled in the lines...mostly. The 3 and the diagonal line in the 4 were freehand, but having the vertical lines done plus limits marked out really helped. The faded 3-color camo under the numbers was done with dry brushing oil paint. I'm really liking the oils. That's new to me. The idea came from a book by Tony Greenland. That dude is a tank model guru. The carbon stain around the coax machinegun muzzle is also dry brushed oil. It's a cool technique. It looks like airbrushing.

Thanks. Lee