Model Cars Magazine Forum

Factory Stock '26-7 Fords

Eric Macleod

These models definately dominated my build time for 2017 though I did sqeeze completing a 66 Lincoln Convertible in there.  My 2017 resolution is to do the final details on the T's.  

I am very proud to announce that the collection is going to be featured in a major article in the Model T Times, the publication of the Model T Ford Club International. This is the reason behind my very tight deadline.  I am pretty excited about this. I've seen the proofs and the models really look excellent.

First off, congrats on getting ink in the Model T Times! It's a fitting reward.

The "improved T's" - I hadn't realized that internally this was Ford's approach to these, But from my readings I know it was a matter of great discussion and commercial pressure at the time with, supposedly, Henry fighting his executives all the way to make the updates. This last bit, about Ford's conservatism, I have always taken with a grain of salt. I have always wondered how "pure" he was about the whole "people's car" as appliance thing. In any case this era turned out to be a watershed that got the ball rolling and formed the basis for Forf's "comeback" and cemented their dominance in American automotive culture until the mid-50's.

This cultural dominance is manifest in the fact that virtually all hot rods with pre-WWII and early postwar roots are Fords, such was the scale of sales of Ford products to Americans until the 50's. For so many of us car modelers building these hot rod Fords constitutes an entire subculture in its own right. I am one of them. Like so many of us, I have built countless  Deuces, and several examples of most of the iconic pre-war models, including a couple of 27-T roadsters.

But all of them were hot rods. So it's always with the utmost in admiration and respect that I pay homage to the skill and discipline of the showroom stock modeler. Showroom stock embodies the nexus of the rigor of the replica build, the historical knowledge a replica demands, and the technical ability to create a model quite often from parts which are imperfect, incomplete and inaccurate at best. Thank you for giving us this fine set of authentic representations. A fine way to finish off 2017! All the best in 2018 and hoping for more of your replicas in the new year.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:25 PM, Bernard Kron said:

First off, congrats on getting ink in the Model T Times! It's a fitting reward.

The "improved T's" - I hadn't realized that internally this was Ford's approach to these, But from my readings I know it was a matter of great discussion and commercial pressure at the time with, supposedly, Henry fighting his executives all the way to make the updates. This last bit, about Ford's conservatism, I have always taken with a grain of salt. I have always wondered how "pure" he was about the whole "people's car" as appliance thing. In any case this era turned out to be a watershed that got the ball rolling and formed the basis for Forf's "comeback" and cemented their dominance in American automotive culture until the mid-50's.

This cultural dominance is manifest in the fact that virtually all hot rods with pre-WWII and early postwar roots are Fords, such was the scale of sales of Ford products to Americans until the 50's. For so many of us car modelers building these hot rod Fords constitutes an entire subculture in its own right. I am one of them. Like so many of us, I have built countless  Deuces, and several examples of most of the iconic pre-war models, including a couple of 27-T roadsters.

But all of them were hot rods. So it's always with the utmost in admiration and respect that I pay homage to the skill and discipline of the showroom stock modeler. Showroom stock embodies the nexus of the rigor of the replica build, the historical knowledge a replica demands, and the technical ability to create a model quite often from parts which are imperfect, incomplete and inaccurate at best. Thank you for giving us this fine set of authentic representations. A fine way to finish off 2017! All the best in 2018 and hoping for more of your replicas in the new year.

This has to be one of the most eloquent and insightful compliments I have ever read about any modeling subject ever. I am deeply humbledto be the recipient of such a tribute.  Many thanks and I hope my next complete set does not disappoint.

Happy New Year to all of my forum friends.

On behalf of all factory / showroom stock modelers like myself,  THANK YOU!
I appreciate and understand the effort and dedication that goes into something like this.  I've always thought if I ever do a model of an antique road car, it would be a factory stock Model T.  But I need to learn more about them first.

Thanks!

On 12/18/2017 at 9:00 AM, Eric Macleod said:

I like it. It is a LOT nicer looking car than my dad's first car, though I love the car tremendously...and I own it. You can see where I got the inspiration for the Fordor in the collection. This is a photo of how the car looks today. I have had thoughts of restoring the car but there is a certain amount of charm to a car that is a bit rough and rugged.

Also, it is only original once.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...