Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack Cruiseliner Question

Well I've started my next project. Back in the 80's, the company that my dad worked for rented a Cruiseliner from Ryder for a couple of weeks. It was painted just like the box art. I'm planning to build a replica from memory of course. In my research, though, I found some differences that I didn't realize. I knew that the grill was completely changed in the later models, but my subject had the old grill. I'm pretty sure that it didn't have the emblem in the grill though. Every picture of a 75 or 76 model that I find has the emblem. It appears that in 77 the headlight buckets were changed slightly. I could probably modify the kit to the later buckets if I need to. So here's my question. Does anyone know for sure if all 75 and 76 Cruisliners had the emblem in the grill? Also, did any of the later models (77 and newer) have headlight buckets like the kit? I planned this to be a simple relaxing build. I may just go with the emblem in the grill and be done. Any input would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, towman1271 said:

Not sure about the headlights, but K.J. at Double Take Replicas has a 3D printed grill without the emblem!!

Thanks Dave! That's what got this started. I planned to use one, but I'm not sure if I want to change the headlights. I plan to use one of his grills.

Thanks for the help guys! For those who were wondering the difference.

Here is the 75/76 style like the AMT kit. Every one that I find has the emblem in the grill

15136819028_c9bacde824.jpg1976 Mack cruiseliner by Ken Gilkeson, on Flickr

This is the 77 style. Notice the difference around the headlights.  Also notice that the turn signal are in the front of the cab.

15320032572_1fec409470_z.jpg1979 Mack Cruiseliner by Ken Gilkeson, on Flickr

I have also seen this second style with turn signals mounted high on the side of the cab.

On 12/14/2017 at 2:07 PM, Modeltruckbuilder said:

Post deleted because the OP obviously doesn't give a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH

I apologize for not responding sooner Anthony. Thank you for your input. I've actually been trying to research and find some solid evidence regarding a recall and the year differences. I actually looked through I think every article at Hank's that mentioned a Cruiseliner.

After researching truck brochures, trucks for sale, old magazines including overdrive, truck websites, etc, here is what I've discovered for sure:

75-76 Have recessed lights like the kit with low mount turn signals. Every subject that I found had the emblem in the grill.

77-79 have filler panels beside the headlights with turn signals mounted in the front of the cab. It appears that the later versions lost the grill emblem.

80-81 have the filler panel with high mounted outboard turn signals. I did not find an example with an emblem in the grill.

82 was the year of the grill change as well a a slight change in the dash. Trucks with the filler panels have headlights that are not as recessed as the 75-76 versions.

There may have been a D.O.T. recall, but if I can pull it off, I'm going to try to make an 80 model. Since the truck I'm trying to replicate was rented in 83-84 it was probably around an 80 model, because I'm pretty sure that it didn't have an emblem in the grill and it did have outboard turn signals on it.

Thanks to everyone who commented! I think I'm heading in the right direction now.

here's picture that i found... at least you have a base... this one do not have the dog in the grill.

remember Ryder trucks are cheap rentals so you must use bud wheels no mags were on those trucks. 

show us some pics of your project when you start building it!

MackBulldogMagazine19782ndQ01-vi.jpg

45 minutes ago, baloney said:

here's picture that i found... at least you have a base... this one do not have the dog in the grill.

remember Ryder trucks are cheap rentals so you must use bud wheels no mags were on those trucks. 

show us some pics of your project when you start building it!

MackBulldogMagazine19782ndQ01-vi.jpg

Thanks for the picture Greg! I've got some old Clint Freeman 2 hole Budds for this project. I personally have never been a big fan of the AMT 10 hole split rims anyway.

I understand the red emblem was remover because it looked like a red flasher life emergency vehicle would use from the rear view mirror of a car.sort of the reasoning behind red bug shields being illegal. Apparently the cab was too wide so the turn signals had to recessed some what,but that caused too much wind turbulence and the side windows wouldn't stay clean, hence the new and improved head light bucket and flush turn signal.mack lobbied and was allowed to have turn signals mounted in the traditional coe position later in the run

3 hours ago, mistermodel said:

I understand the red emblem was remover because it looked like a red flasher life emergency vehicle would use from the rear view mirror of a car.sort of the reasoning behind red bug shields being illegal. Apparently the cab was too wide so the turn signals had to recessed some what,but that caused too much wind turbulence and the side windows wouldn't stay clean, hence the new and improved head light bucket and flush turn signal.mack lobbied and was allowed to have turn signals mounted in the traditional coe position later in the run

Thanks Kevin! I'm going with the later run with the high mount turn signals. For some reason I just like the grill without the emblem better, then I saw that KJ was offering one without the emblem. That's what started this ball rolling. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the truck I'm replicating was a later model.