Model Cars Magazine Forum

My dad's Mercedes 170V Roadster

89AKurt

I'm back......
My dad restored a real one about 50 years ago, when I was a brat.  I sort of recall a drive from Flagstaff to our home at Grand Canyon (he was a park Ranger), riding in the rumble seat.  I'm giving this to my mom for Christmas, but I'm sure she will let me enter it in contests.
It started as a Heller 170V Berline 1:24 scale kit, that I got by mail prior to 1995, when I sketched what I needed to do.  I chopped off the roof and used Corian (kitchen countertop) to fabricate the rear part, including the rumble seat.  The windshield is also scratch-built, and folds down.  The back seat was modified into the front seat.  The steering wheel was incorrect 3 spokes.  I turned the spare tire cover out of Corian, using a drill press and wood chisel.  I cut up about 80% of the interior door panels for various body parts.  The engine and chassis are almost box stock, *had to* use real coil springs on the rear suspension.  I used Alclad "chrome" paint, and aluminum tape; Testors custom mix of metallic blue, and 'aluminum' (looks much better than so-called 'German Silver' which looked like steel).  I made body mounts and grill mount, to screw together.  I even carved his hat that I have, that's older than me.

The diorama is another story.

IMG_6335_Fotor.jpg

IMG_6305_Fotor.jpg

IMG_6327_Fotor.jpg

5530091845_5d1e17ccfd_o.jpg

IMG_6313_Fotor.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing looking build. You got the colors perfectly. At first I thought the rear wheel opening for the rear tire looked like the wheel base was off and the opening its self was  shaped wrong. Then looking at the 1:1 picture I realized that the factory made it that way. Your Mother should enjoy this model.