Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about the AMT Autocars

Good morning, everyone. I've been doing a bit of casual browsing, and despite what's probably too much money these days, I'm looking at picking up an Autocar dump truck. I have one that my dad built back in the day, but I'd really like to take on my own. One thing I noticed is that some of the sellers photos on eBay and the like show the rear suspension as the correct Rockwell heavy duty with toploader rear ends, and others show the more common Hendrickson walking beam with frontloader rears. This got me to thinking, does the dump truck contain both? Or did certain issues have one and not the other? For what these kits seem to be bringing, I'm not comfortable dropping that kind of coin for what might not have what I'm after. Thanks for the help!

I had both the original Autocar dump and the A64B tractor.  IIRC, they are quite different.  The spacing between the rear axles was different, I was converting the glue-bomb tractor kit into a mixer with large tires and I recall taking measurements of both and discovering the tractor kit had a shorter distance.  I don't recall suspension types off hand, though I could probably dig them out.  Not sure if the later A-car dumps changed, I' only had the original.

I just looked at mine. It only has the top loader rear ends. The directions only show one set of rear ends too. I saw the two on Ebay that show Hendrickson style suspension. They seem to be later releases than mine. I do have a copy of the directions from the Construction version and it only shows the old style too. You may contact the seller for some better photos to see if the other set up is in the box.

Casey:

I did see the news on the A64B tractor. I missed that last time around and will be getting one of those regardless. The big ticket here is I want the HD rear suspension and axles for a project I have in mind, which leads me to my next comment.

Warren, Brian:

I did a little more investigating and what I was able to find outlined the numerous differences in the A64B Tractor and DC9964B Dump Truck. It's far more than just the fenders and a dump box. Hearing from the both of you that have/had the kits in front of you is an interesting development.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I never did a formal comparison, but the frame lenght is different, too.  My dump has the top loaders as well.  As I said, early issue, can't speak to any re-pops.

Rockwells:  http://www.b-n-lresins.com/shoppingopencart/Aftermarket-resin-cast-1-24-1-25-scale-model-model-Rockwell-Axles-Num1

Edited by Warren D

If you'd like just the HD Rockwell rears from the dump dave over in egg harbor casts them ..aitm will easily hook ya up, just be sure to order those awesome huge tires autocar's need while your there . The  suspension is 20 bucks 

Glad to hear the acar tractor is coming back...I swapped mine  away to a lucky fella, been having hankering for another Acar