Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Lincoln Continental Customizing Kit

Casey

10 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Nostalgia, real or imagined, means  big bucks. Using "retro" and/or "vintage" as selling points usually translates to a whole lot of ka-chings coming from the seller's register. 

Yup. I can think of at least three kits I've bought yet another one of (even though I already had one or more) just because of the retro box art (and maybe decals or a few other new goodies inside). 

On 12/13/2017 at 12:52 PM, RAT-T said:

I THOUGHT I SAW A HARDTOP IN A BUILD THREAD SOMEWHERE, WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN A PROMO?

Maybe mine? '64 roof and rear package shelf transplanted to '65 convertible body and interior. Missing Link did a '65 sedan body a while back; when I asked if it would be reissued the answer was "no". And I would love to see a photoetch set for it, maybe with extra "Continental" scripts in the larger size for the '61-'63 kits.5a39c77e01f0b_65continentalnewroof.JPG.bdf33bab212be276feec1079829779a2.JPG

On 12/19/2017 at 10:28 PM, Snake45 said:

Hasn't Ron Hamilton done one or more? 

Yes I am working on a '64 Lincoln Sedan, and it was from an original annual 3 in 1 kit from back in the day. I also have an original '65 Sedan, which is unbuilt, and the building plans have been made for it, as well as every '60's Lincoln Continental kit, save the '68. which I sold off. Unfortunately, I am a member of Photobucket. Need I say more?

Edited by Ron Hamilton

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2017 at 8:21 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Maybe mine? '64 roof and rear package shelf transplanted to '65 convertible body and interior. Missing Link did a '65 sedan body a while back; when I asked if it would be reissued the answer was "no". And I would love to see a photoetch set for it, maybe with extra "Continental" scripts in the larger size for the '61-'63 kits.5a39c77e01f0b_65continentalnewroof.JPG.bdf33bab212be276feec1079829779a2.JPG

That's where I got my hardtop body from, Missing Link and I had sold it 'bout a year and half ago.

On 2/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, Jantrix said:

If it wasn't for the terrible engine/chassis, this kit would be a favorite. I had a good time with mine. This kit has a lot of possibilities.

2014-05-01 19.06.17_zpszdpcosix.JPG

Not sure where you could get a better detailed 430, but the Lincoln's shared the the underbody with the 61-66 Thunderbird so the new tool 62 Bird might be your ticket for a better 'chassis. (They're unibodies).

On 12/19/2017 at 10:39 PM, RAT-T said:

LOOKS GOOD CHRIS

NOT SURE WHO RON HAMILTON IS

He is lurking for now, as his photos are in Photobucket, and their fee to post them is too stiff for his pocketbook. Maybe one day, he will get back to work on his Lincoln Sedan. All it needs is primer, paint, and final assembly.

3 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

He is lurking for now, as his photos are in Photobucket, and their fee to post them is too stiff for his pocketbook. Maybe one day, he will get back to work on his Lincoln Sedan. All it needs is primer, paint, and final assembly.

:) SORRY ABOUT THAT RON, I'VE SEEN YOU POST ALL THE TIME, BUT FOR SOME REASON I NEVER LOOKED AT YOUR NAME, JUST THE RED CAR IN YOUR SIGNATURE :)

5 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

He is lurking for now, as his photos are in Photobucket, and their fee to post them is too stiff for his pocketbook. 

You can save each image, then upload it here as an attachment. I don't even bother with using the PB image link here anymore since there's plenty of storage space. :)

Some inspiration for those who want to use the station wagon option. I posted elsewhere about the custom-built Cadillac station wagons used  by the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs. The cars hauled guests and their luggage in from the airport.  These wagons were called "Broadmoor Skyviews" for the Plexiglas panels in the roof. 

Here's a Hemmings article about the 1959 Broadmoor Skyview. It was built on a Sayers & Scovill hearse body, with further mods by Hess & Eisenhardt. Now if I can just find enough luggage in my Gimcrack Stash...

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/03/07/a-room-with-a-view-1959-cadillac-broadmoor-skyview/

1959-Cad-wagon.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 7:03 PM, Chuck Most said:

Anybody know what those three-piece (outer, inner, knock-off) custom wheels are supposed to be? Are they based on a real aftermarket wheel from that era or are they just flight of fancy by some AMT designer? 

Good question. Usually the instruction sheet makes reference to the manufacturer, but no luck on this one. It doesn't seem like it would be based on a real wheel, based on how is assembles, but they might be similar to those 8-lug Pontiac wheels? These are the wheels in question, correct?:

65linccustwheels.jpg.b7544dca98c03def9fc33f19fa057cd5.jpg

Edited by Casey