Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Lincoln Continental Customizing Kit

Casey

On 2/9/2018 at 7:11 PM, Dave Darby said:

Not sure where you could get a better detailed 430, but the Lincoln's shared the the underbody with the 61-66 Thunderbird so the new tool 62 Bird might be your ticket for a better 'chassis. (They're unibodies).

Not even close on the AMT 62 Thunderbird.  I checked.  The details the Lincoln DOES have are accurate, but the 62 Tbird chassis looks nothing like it.  Now I have a useles Tbird kit as I don't build anything after 1945 without a hardtop.

36 minutes ago, fomocomav said:

Not even close on the AMT 62 Thunderbird.  I checked.  The details the Lincoln DOES have are accurate, but the 62 Tbird chassis looks nothing like it.  Now I have a useles Tbird kit as I don't build anything after 1945 without a hardtop.

TBird platform was shorter, but the center pan is where the difference was, pretty much.  Both were unibody cars, and the deal made between the designers and then-Ford President, Robert McNamara (who wanted to ax Lincoln completely) agreed at last to authorize the '61 Lincoln, provided it could be done using as much of the TBird structure as possible.

Art

On 3/25/2018 at 10:52 AM, alexis said:

Odd the GM Truck Wheels fit that Lincoln.

On 3/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, Joe Handley said:

Was thinking the same thing.

5 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

5 on 5 bolt pattern. I once had a 1975 Thunderbird that had them on it when I bought it off the back lot of a Ford Dealer!

Back when they were still common daily drivers, I used to occasionally see the big mid-seventies Ford LTDs running Buick Road Wheels from the big Buicks, which always seemed really "wrong" to me, even as a kid.

(To be honest, even now it kinda bothers me to see them on anything besides a Buick, even other GM brands.)

Think there were quite a few different FoMoCo cars that used 5 on 5, probably for the same reason GM did on all their 71-76 GM full-sized: cars were just getting so huge at that time.

4 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Back when they were still common daily drivers, I used to occasionally see the big mid-seventies Ford LTDs running Buick Road Wheels from the big Buicks, which always seemed really "wrong" to me, even as a kid.

(To be honest, even now it kinda bothers me to see them on anything besides a Buick, even other GM brands.)

Think there were quite a few different FoMoCo cars that used 5 on 5, probably for the same reason GM did on all their 71-76 GM full-sized: cars were just getting so huge at that time.

I've seen those same rims in the GM '77-'96 B-Bodies and they even fit the Astro and Safari vans before those went to 6 lug that last year or two they were in production.  Recently I saw a mid-90's Express conversion van that was wearing the '94-'96 Impala SS  5 spokers, kinda made me want to put a set from the Revell kit onto one of the Revell 70's Shorty G-Vans they brought back out a few years back too......

On 3/26/2018 at 6:37 PM, fomocomav said:

Now I have a useless Tbird kit as I don't build anything after 1945 without a hardtop.

Problem solved:

s-l1600.jpg

Completed listing, but they should be relisting it soon:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-HARDTOP-BODY-1-25-SCALE-RESIN-/382416096740?hash=item5909c68de4%3Ag%3AucwAAOSw~gRVla3W&nma=true&si=toZlm1ZWcfOhNUE1yc78Lcxo8yk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• 2 months later...

Can anyone that has purchased this kit and opened it please answer this question- does this kit have a clear distributor on the clear parts sprue?

I built a Lincoln custom kit when I was about 10-11 years old, and I distinctly remember the kit having a clear distributor. Never saw another one, still haven't, 45 years later.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

17 minutes ago, StyreneDestinations said:

Can anyone that has purchased this kit and opened it please answer this question- does this kit have a clear distributor on the clear parts sprue?

I built a Lincoln custom kit when I was about 10-11 years old, and I distinctly remember the kit having a clear distributor. Never saw another one, still haven't, 45 years later.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You should be able to pull up the instruction sheet on the Round 2 website, that should confirm yes/no...

On 3/26/2018 at 12:35 PM, Can-Con said:

You guys sure those arn't Chrysler wheels?

Image result for 75 chrysler road wheel

I might be confused by actual facts, BUT the chevy truck wheels I have like that on our Silverado are 16" wheels. I don't believe 16's were EVER offered on the Continental, OR any Chryslers of that time period. And I can't remember seeing any GM truck wheels in 15's in that style.

On 6/28/2018 at 4:46 AM, horsepower said:

I might be confused by actual facts, BUT the chevy truck wheels I have like that on our Silverado are 16" wheels. I don't believe 16's were EVER offered on the Continental, OR any Chryslers of that time period. And I can't remember seeing any GM truck wheels in 15's in that style.

Really? all the '70s GM pickup rally wheels I've seen in that style were 15". I've never seen them in 16. Chevy even put them on the '74 "Spirit of America" Impalas. 

Image result for '74 "Spirit of America" Impalas

Related image

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:46 AM, horsepower said:

32 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Really? all the '70s GM pickup rally wheels I've seen in that style were 15". I've never seen them in 16. Chevy even put them on the '74 "Spirit of America" Impalas. 

Image result for '74 "Spirit of America" Impalas

Related image

There used to be a company called Motor Rim or something like that. They were an O.E.M. Supplier of wheels to many of the Big Three years ago. We also sold them when I was working for Good Year in the early '70's. They usually were 15 by 7 wheels and they later offered 15 by 8.5 when they started putting them on the GM pickups. The centers differed depending on the bolt pattern, but they were basically the same looking wheel.  

17 hours ago, espo said:

There used to be a company called Motor Rim or something like that. They were an O.E.M. Supplier of wheels to many of the Big Three years ago. We also sold them when I was working for Good Year in the early '70's. They usually were 15 by 7 wheels and they later offered 15 by 8.5 when they started putting them on the GM pickups. The centers differed depending on the bolt pattern, but they were basically the same looking wheel.  

Hope that post I made didn't sound too "snotty", it was meant to sound more "matter of fact" than it does when I read it back now ,, sorry about that. :unsure:

ANYWAY, Yup, Motor Wheel Corporation. The same company that made the Magnum 500.

They sold the 500s as aftermarket as well as to the manufacturers. 

114 1454

On 6/29/2018 at 2:11 PM, espo said:

Our Silverado is a 1992 4x4, should have put the year down when I answered the thread. Sorry 'bout that.

3 hours ago, horsepower said:

Our Silverado is a 1992 4x4, should have put the year down when I answered the thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Very good chance that your wheels are or were developed by the Motor Wheel Corp.