Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Lincoln Continental Customizing Kit

Casey

11 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Why couldn't an optional hardtop have been included? I need one to construct a replica of a Zigmobile, owned by a guy in my neighborhood.

I don't think a separate hardtop exists, so it would need to be an all-new part...which would be a good idea. :) Not sure how much the Lincoln Continental Hardtop's top changed over the years, but Round2 seems to have no qualms reissuing the '70 Challenger with a separate (semi-crude) hardtop.

46 minutes ago, RAT-T said:

I THOUGHT I SAW A HARDTOP IN A BUILD THREAD SOMEWHERE, WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN A PROMO?

I don't think there's ever been a separate hardtop offered in any of the AMT Lincoln Continental kits, only full hardtop body shells, which I recall a few people stating no longer exist-- this AMT '65 Convertible is believed to be the last of the line, so to speak. I'm not sure if there was ever a separate Continental hardtop piece offered in any other AMT kits as a custom part (similar to the separate Thunderbird hardtop included in the original 1/24 Monogram '55 Chevy kit), though I doubt it.

Here's the original(?) '65 Lincoln Continental Hardtop kit box, which appears to be a heavy influence on the sales sheet's main wagon artwork:

AMT%206425-150%2065Conti.JPG

I believe this was the last reissue under the "Nostalgic Series" label during the RC2 era:

AMT65ContNostalgicSeries.jpg

Edited by Casey

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Would a modified roof from the '65 Galaxie 500 XL work?

Related image

1965-lincoln-continental.jpg

Not really.  Other than the manufacturer of the real cars, Ford Motor Company,  Lincolns never shared any sheetmetal or structure with any full-sized Ford back in those days.  They did share a lot of structure, even the same basic platform (albeit in a much longer wheelbase) with Thunderbird from 1958 onward though.

27 minutes ago, Art Anderson said:

Not really.  Other than the manufacturer of the real cars, Ford Motor Company,  Lincolns never shared any sheetmetal or structure with any full-sized Ford back in those days.  They did share a lot of structure, even the same basic platform (albeit in a much longer wheelbase) with Thunderbird from 1958 onward though.

How about a modified top from the AMT 61 Ford Galaxie Styline kit?

Edited by TarheelRick

On 12/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, Casey said:

Looks like the 1/25 AMT '65 Lincoln Convertible kit is being pushed as a Wagon more than a Convertible, but that's probably a more accurate description of this kit as it exists today:

AMT1081LincolnContinental65.jpg

The box art alone may get me to buy this one. I really like it. That plus the fact I'm not 100% happy with the paint job on the last one I built about 20 years ago.