Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 shelby

If it is molded in high gloss finish, there are no major dimples to fill and I like the color I will remove the mold lines,  polish it & call it good. Sadly almost all models have flaws to be fixed.

Even worse is cutting down the high gloss finish so paint will stick if you do decide to paint it. If it is molded in red, orange or yellow, you may have bleed through issues as well. I had a Dodge Caravan molded in red that I attempted multiple times to paint white with all different primers, colors, multiple coats, & even silver & gold as suggested by the knowledgeable & helpful folk on this site without success. The red would always bleed through.

Bottom line is finish it to your liking; its your model!

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I always paint. Plastic looks like, well, plastic.

It usually does, but I've done a few where it looks DARN good. The trick is deciding if you can make it look good before spending a buttload of time polishing the plastic.

I actually enjoy polishing plastic in the rare cases where it will work. It all depends on how solid/opaque the pigment in the plastic is.

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It usually does, but I've done a few where it looks DARN good. The trick is deciding if you can make it look good before spending a buttload of time polishing the plastic.

I actually enjoy polishing plastic in the rare cases where it will work. It all depends on how solid/opaque the pigment in the plastic is.

I've seen a couple too, but by and large no.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:42 PM, bubbaman said:

OK I DO WANT TO CHANGE THE COLOR  BUT YOU`LL MAKE IT SOUND DIFFICULT

I don't think you would have any difficulty painting this model. You are not working with a color that is hard to conceal & it doesn't appear to have a high gloss. I would sand the bare plastic with 400 or 600 grit sand paper and primer it. You might even be able to paint it without primer if your'e painting it a green, black, or another dark opaque color. I would use 600 grit sand paper if painting without the primer.

7 hours ago, bubbaman said:

ok do i just go right over the green the shelby comes in  and how hard do i rub her ?? and what grit

When I polish plastic I 1st carefully remove the mold lines with various grits of sand paper. I will start with 600-800 grit and carefully smooth away the mold lines taking care not to go too far beyond the mold lines. I then continue to go over the offending areas wet sanding with 800 then 1000, 1500 & 2000 grits. (You may then want to continue with a polishing kit on just the areas you have been working or the whole body. I usually don't) I then polish the whole thing with Novus 2, though others use all sorts of different polishing agents such as automotive polishes and Snake has already suggested silver polish. So use whatever you have at hand. I rub firmly, supporting the backside of the area I'm working. It can take some time, but as you work you see just what it will take to achieve the results you want.  Be careful to not to rub to hard on delicate areas like roof pillars, etc. If you find a good polish, pass it along to the rest of us! good luck no matter which way you go & keep us updated on the progress. :)