[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      Board Status   07/20/2018

      Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
Sign in to follow this  
disabled modeler

68 Corvette promo resto project help...

Recommended Posts

I have an old MPC 68 Corvette roadster promo from my dads collection I need to find a few parts for....

glass and post frame.  Appreciate any help..if You have parts from a MPC or AMT model they should work ok.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think theoretically the windshield frame and glass from the commonly available '75 roadster kit should fit. Not sure that AMT parts would be as readily adaptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MPC parts would be the way to go.  MPC did the '68 promotional model.  AMT didn't know what a '68 'Vette looked like until they saw the car in the showroom like everyone else.  A quick look at the AMT '68 Corvette kit would bear this out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, Mark said:

The MPC parts would be the way to go.  MPC did the '68 promotional model.  AMT didn't know what a '68 'Vette looked like until they saw the car in the showroom like everyone else.  A quick look at the AMT '68 Corvette kit would bear this out...

Yup. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also possible that the frame and windshield from the Revell '68 roadster could be adapted to fit. Maybe you can find someone who's cut the frame off to use a cut-down windshield for a road racer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's also possible that the frame and windshield from the Revell '68 roadster could be adapted to fit. Maybe you can find someone who's cut the frame off to use a cut-down windshield for a road racer. 

Good idea Snake...but I wonder if it would fit and look right..?  Being this is one from my dad sold collection I am trying to restore I want it to look right too.  I have many from his collection I need to find parts for so i can restore them.  Some others from his collection are ok and will stay as he built them but I have a long way to go on the others...must be around 100 of them that need something I cant find yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As one who's been collecting old C2 and C2 Vettes for a while now, I can tell you that with the roadsters, the windshield frame is the first thing to go. It's going to be difficult and expensive to find a vintage MPC body with a pristine windshield frame. I still think your best bet might be using the frame from the current issue '75 roadster, an ex-MPC kit. The frame from a Revell or AMT will probably require some adaptation of some kind, somewhere, but should theoretically be do-able. 

Sometimes you can't go to the workbench with the parts you want or need, you go with the parts you have or can get, to paraphrase a famous former secretary of defense....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

As one who's been collecting old C2 and C2 Vettes for a while now, I can tell you that with the roadsters, the windshield frame is the first thing to go. It's going to be difficult and expensive to find a vintage MPC body with a pristine windshield frame. I still think your best bet might be using the frame from the current issue '75 roadster, an ex-MPC kit. The frame from a Revell or AMT will probably require some adaptation of some kind, somewhere, but should theoretically be do-able. 

Sometimes you can't go to the workbench with the parts you want or need, you go with the parts you have or can get, to paraphrase a famous former secretary of defense....

LOL..yep.  Id think any of the MPC or AMT kit parts should fit it good enough.   if it were not for the missing glass and post frame the 68 promo would be almost mint...too cool not to want to restore it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before tearing into the project, I'd try to get a look at another MPC '68 Corvette convertible.  A kit body would be more likely to turn up.  That way, you could get a good look at what the correct, original windshield frame should look like.  The reissue '75 convertible piece ought to work, as its body is very likely produced from the same tool as the '68.  With a well-done repair, the '68 promo should hold a pretty good value...with a lesser quality repair, not so much.  Take your time, do it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mark said:

Before tearing into the project, I'd try to get a look at another MPC '68 Corvette convertible.  A kit body would be more likely to turn up.  That way, you could get a good look at what the correct, original windshield frame should look like.  The reissue '75 convertible piece ought to work, as its body is very likely produced from the same tool as the '68.  With a well-done repair, the '68 promo should hold a pretty good value...with a lesser quality repair, not so much.  Take your time, do it right.

Mark... Thanks for the information.   This is one from my dads old collection it will be with me till I am gone like the others I need to restore. To me my dads old ones are priceless....must be over 100 of them that need something I cant find for them yet but want them to be as good and correct as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this