Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid Is the New Smart

Ace-Garageguy

Now here's a great automotive alibi! From the local newspaper, an incident that happened here Friday night...

"Bright told police she noticed that the truck was not operating correctly after turning...(she) stopped the truck and discovered that her husband was under the vehicle..."

"Discovered" her husband?  She had dragged him under the truck for more than a quarter-mile.  Mrs. Not-So-Bright, 22, and her husband, 25, had been in an argument so loud and long that it got neighbors out of their houses.  Some of those neighbors saw her run over him and called 911.

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Now here's a great automotive alibi! From the local newspaper, an incident that happened here Friday night...

"Bright told police she noticed that the truck was not operating correctly after turning...(she) stopped the truck and discovered that her husband was under the vehicle..."

"Discovered" her husband?  She had dragged him under the truck for more than a quarter-mile.  Mrs. Not-So-Bright, 22, and her husband, 25, had been in an argument so loud and long that it got neighbors out of their houses.  Some of those neighbors saw her run over him and called 911.

Was alcohol involved ? We just had some guy in KCMO thought his girlfriend was a poor mother to their child. He told the police he thought the best way to deal with it was to cut her throat and set her on fire. And they walk among us.

While some of these examples of off-the-charts stupidity are entertaining, it's the creeping dumb among AVERAGE Americans that's the REAL problem:

Automobile technicians who don't have a basic understanding of how an internal-combustion engine operates.

Licensed electricians who have passed the licensing exam, but can't read and understand installation instructions.

Millions of people, maybe tens of millions, who can't do simple arithmetic with a pencil and paper.

Office workers and managers who are incapable of writing a coherent business letter.

High school graduates who can NOT read at first-year college level, and have to go to remedial reading classes.

Voters who have no knowledge of the history of this country, or the rest of the world.

These are typical of what we need to be focusing on.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

While some of these examples of off-the-charts stupidity are entertaining, it's the creeping dumb among AVERAGE Americans that's the REAL problem:

Automobile technicians who don't have a basic understanding of how an internal-combustion engine operates.

Licensed electricians who have passed the licensing exam, but can't read and understand installation instructions.

Millions of people, maybe tens of millions, who can't do simple arithmetic with a pencil and paper.

Office workers and managers who are incapable of writing a coherent business letter.

High school graduates who can NOT read at first-year college level, and have to go to remedial reading classes.

Voters who have no knowledge of the history of this country, or the rest of the world.

These are typical of what we need to be focusing on.

I've spent somewhere around 20-25% of my time at work this month fixing the work of people who either don't know how to do their job, or simply refused to do it correctly. There's always a case or two of this each month, but I've never seen it as bad as this month. I've even seen cases where I did the job correctly the first time a few months ago, and then somebody came along behind me and screwed it up or undid my work completely.  

All this of course means completely wasted time/effort on my part. I SHOULD be spending 100% of my time solving NEW problems, not cleaning up after others' dog-dirt mistakes or incompetence. 

Unbe-freakin'-lievable. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I am a refrigeration mechanic for supermarkets and I run in to this problem ALL the time, we had a transition period awhile back where the electrical Union was throwing a fit about us doing minor electrical work(changing breakers, contactors, and such) on refrigeration equipment to the point that the state changed the law to where only a licensed electrician could touch anything electrical that didn't just plug in, so for awhile I got the pleasure (sarcastic) of standing over someone's shoulder and telling them how to do their job!! The whole time it's right there in black and white one line drawings.

Even have had to tell more than one how to balance multiple single phase loads over 3 phase power.

It just seems to get worse daily.

20 minutes ago, cowboy rich said:

I am a refrigeration mechanic for supermarkets and I run in to this problem ALL the time, we had a transition period awhile back where the electrical Union was throwing a fit about us doing minor electrical work(changing breakers, contactors, and such) on refrigeration equipment to the point that the state changed the law to where only a licensed electrician could touch anything electrical that didn't just plug in,

Many years ago my wife's brother came upon me as I was changing an outlet. He immediately shouted, "Stop you can't do that! You aren't an electrician!"  I explained to him that I knew how to change an outlet, and I had flipped the breaker so there was no danger.  He replied, "But what about the electricity that's still in the line?"  So I replied, "It's okay, I drained the line with that lamp over there."  That satisfied him.

43 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

"It's okay, I drained the line with that lamp over there."  That satisfied him.

That's funny! I had an electrical inspector walk up on me one time while I was changing a capacitor on a machine and I hadn't discharged it yet, he tried to inform me I wasn't qualified to do it so I tossed it to him and said you do it then, mister smart guy caught it and got good little shock(our stuff is irritating not harmful on that level). Continued to tell me I'm not qualified, handed him my electrical license while saying at least I'm smart enough not to grab a charged capacitor! Bad thing is he walked up while I was taking it out and SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS CHARGED.

A neighborhood pizza place has invented the Pied Pod:
Vinnie’s Pizzeria has solved the Tide Pod problem 

Image result for vinnie's brooklyn tide pod pizza

Vinnie's is the second oldest pizzeria around these parts, serving slices since 1960. If any of youse are in the area, try Vinnie's Supreme slice. When you're done, walk up to Bedford and N. 11th St. and swing into the Turkey's Nest Tavern, a dive bar of the first order, and order a couple ice cold draft beers served in quart sized styrofoam containers. They're just the thing when loitering in scenic McCarren Park, conveniently located across the street. Margaritas are available @ 7 bucks for a 16 oz. cup. Hic.

Edited by SfanGoch

I've read several places that breakfast cereal is something millennials don't buy because "it's too hard to clean up" afterwards. Really. Running a little water in a bowl and wiping it dry. Damm...just the thought of it is exhausting.

Perhaps the fascination with eating Tide stems from a simple lack of knowledge of what it's actually for. The entire concept of "washing clothes" may be alien to a mind-set that views rinsing out a cereal bowl as a stressful activity.

The colorful swirls, seen out of context (read labels? READ??) surely look as appetizing to semi-adult morons as they would to mindless babies.

39 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Perhaps the fascination with eating Tide stems from a simple lack of knowledge of what it's actually for. The entire concept of "washing clothes" may be alien to a mind-set that views rinsing out a cereal bowl as a stressful activity. 

Doing laundry, washing dishes, heating food etc will (perhaps)  be easier now that wi-fi connected 'smart' appliances are coming out....one will be able to monitor and control their washer, dryer, dish washer, microwave, refrigerator, toilet, coffee maker, etc from their mobile device..some of these have been around for a while, but more and more are coming out--lots were announced at CES recently.   I like the idea of being able to flush my toilet from anywhere via my phone. ;)     

As far as smart homes and smart appliances go, I'm getting into it..I control my thermostat, alarm system, and security cameras from my phone, smart lighting will probably be the next investment for my current house. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Well, there is an app for that.. 'Find my iPhone' --can use the app from my iPad or MacBook to find my phone (similar apps exist I think for Android phones).    The times I misplace my phone it's usually in the sofa between the cushions, in the car, in a bathroom. etc..

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've read several places that breakfast cereal is something millennials don't buy because "it's too hard to clean up" afterwards.

I can tell you, from personal observations at the supermarket downstairs from me, that isn't true. I've made jokes about pogo stick physiqued fauxhemians living on Fruit Loops and ramen. They do. After blowing the monthly stipend their parents deposit on the first of every month by the fifteenth on overpriced Whole Foods fare, $26 lobster rolls and $20 shots of boutique vodka, they're broke. They head to the supermarket and load up on sugary cereals like the aforementioned Fruit Loops, Trix, Pop Tarts and ramen noodles @ 3 packs/$1.00. For the next two weeks, you won't find any of these specific items on the shelves. To further augment their dietary requirements, they will scavenge nightly through the supermarket trash bags in search of recently expired food, making raccoons look like rank amateurs. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Doing laundry, washing dishes, heating food etc will (perhaps)  be easier now that wi-fi connected 'smart' appliances are coming out....one will be able to monitor and control their washer, dryer, dish washer, microwave, refrigerator, toilet, coffee maker, etc from their mobile device..some of these have been around for a while, but more and more are coming out--lots were announced at CES recently.   I like the idea of being able to flush my toilet from anywhere via my phone. ;)     

How is it any easier to perform any of those tasks with an app? One still needs to physically load clothes into a washer. Same with dishes into a dishwasher, food into a microwave, coffee grounds and water into a coffee maker (coffee makers have brew timers and can be set to brew at a specific time without an app) and so on. Why would one want to control a refrigerator? It does two things well without any help from you - keep food cold and freezing it. Do you actually wait until you've left your house before flushing the toilet via smart app? If there is a major blackout, which has occurred in and around NY three times in my lifetime, those apps ain't worth shite when your phone isn't working because the cell towers are dead.  Try getting into your apartment or house with the fancy keyless entry system when the juice is gone. ;) 

I appreciate technology as much as the next guy. However, I will not become a slave to it and allow it to control every aspect of my life.

Edited by SfanGoch

20 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I can tell you, from personal observations at the supermarket downstairs from me, that isn't true. I've made jokes about pogo stick physiqued fauxhemians living on Fruit Loops and ramen. They do. After blowing the monthly stipend their parents deposit on the first of every month by the fifteenth on overpriced Whole Foods fare, $26 lobster rolls and $20 shots of boutique vodka, they're broke. They head to the supermarket and load up on sugary cereals like the aforementioned Fruit Loops, Trix, Pop Tarts and ramen noodles @ 3 packs/$1.00. For the next two weeks, you won't find any of these specific items on the shelves. To further augment their dietary requirements, they will scavenge nightly through the supermarket trash bags in search of recently expired food, making raccoons look like rank amateurs. 

How is it any easier to perform any of those tasks with an app? One still needs to physically load clothes into a washer. Same with dishes into a dishwasher, food into a microwave, coffee grounds and water into a coffee maker (coffee makers have brew timers and can be set to brew at a specific time without an app) and so on. Why would one want to control a refrigerator? It does two things well without any help from you - keep food cold and freezing it. Do you actually wait until you've left your house before flushing the toilet via smart app? If there is a major blackout, which has occurred in and around NY three times in my lifetime, those apps ain't worth shite when your phone isn't working because the cell towers are dead.  Try getting into your apartment or house with the fancy keyless entry system when the juice is gone. ;) 

I appreciate technology as much as the next guy. However, I will not become a slave to it and allow it to control every aspect of my life.

Modern technology is destroying our simple quality of life. Back in the 50's & 60's we had to do everything by ourselves and it really wasn't that hard to do. 

56 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Boy oh boy. You can be sitting on the can across town and flush the one at home.

Multi-tasking at its finest.

Or 10 time zones away from home.  Pretty cool.  Some of the smart toilets have seats that can be heated so they are warm on cold mornings, recognize the user so the lid raises as you approach, etc.  pretty slick.  

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

How is it any easier to perform any of those tasks with an app? One still needs to physically load clothes into a washer. Same with dishes into a dishwasher, food into a microwave, coffee grounds and water into a coffee maker (coffee makers have brew timers and can be set to brew at a specific time without an app) and so on. Why would one want to control a refrigerator? 

Technology can also make it more complicated, which is what I like. Being a tech guy, I thrive on complexity.  Smart appliances (part of the Internet of Things) is one of the big growth areas in software and hardware.  Smart fridges that reorder foods before you run out have been talked about for years are becoming a reality.  Smart washers, dryers and ovens can notify your phone when they are done, etc.  

23 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Technology can also make it more complicated, which is what I like. Being a tech guy, I thrive on complexity.  Smart appliances (part of the Internet of Things) is one of the big growth areas in software and hardware.  Smart fridges that reorder foods before you run out have been talked about for years are becoming a reality.  Smart washers, dryers and ovens can notify your phone when they are done, etc.  

I'm not having any of it. 

Last water heater I bought, I had to get the cheap one. I wanted the next size up because it had a better warranty, but (aside from the higher price) it had a touchscreen. What dahell does a water heater need a touchscreen for? It doesn't, that's what. I refused to buy it. 

Better than a touchscreen would be wifi and and an app. So you can see the temperature and diagnostics of the water heater remotely.  And adjust the temperature, though I've never had a reason to adjust a water heater. They are just sort of there until they fail...

Since my culinary tastes vary, I don't eat the same food every single week; therefore, a "smart" fridge can't anticipate my grocery shopping patterns. I can also determine, by looking inside the fridge, if I need to pick up another gallon of milk or a couple bottles of soda. I can remember things like that. :D Likewise, appliances have timers which, as in the case of washers/dryers/dishwashers, have preset settings for wash and dry cycles. If I'm going to be out of the house for an undetermined period of time, I know that my laundry and dishes will have been cleaned/dried before I return. If I stick something in the oven which requires 2 1/2 hours to cook, I set the oven timer for the bake/cook duration, hit "Start" and it will automatically turn off at the end of that time. In none of these circumstances do I require a phone app to inform me of such mundane activities. Only tech-dependent losers worry about useless minutiae like that.