Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid Is the New Smart

Ace-Garageguy

6 hours ago, peteski said:

How about people like me?  I came to U.S. as a 16-year-old kid and had to learn a new language...

That's very interesting. You communicate in written English far better than the majority of native English speakers.

I wonder what the difference is in the way your brain is wired that makes you WANT to use the language well and fluently, and all the people born here who just don't give a damm, and think that communicating clearly is an unnecessary skill.

35 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Or, as Calvin once famously said to Hobbs, "Verbing weirds language." :lol:

And of course, a large part of the problem is that a lot of people are mindless, following sheep.

If someone who's not a critical thinker, or just not interested in word usage and fluency, hears the phrase "I gifted him a model kit" enough times, rather than "I GAVE him a model kit", he's going to mindlessly repeat it...because that's the way "everybody else" talks...rather than thinking "hey, that sounds really stupid". I mean hell, if you can't be bothered to differentiate between to, too and two...

So language changes, and usually in a way that reflects the dumbing-down of a society.

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's very interesting. You communicate in written English far better than the majority of native English speakers.

I wonder what the difference is in the way your brain is wired that makes you WANT to use the language well and fluently, and all the people born here who just don't give a damm, and think that communicating clearly is an unnecessary skill.

That is a good question. I think laziness, as a personality trait, which also goes hand-in-hand with being sloppy and not paying attention to the "small stuff", likely results in sloppy communication skills.  I think the same traits also play role in whether someone is a good, average, or even mediocre modeler.  I suspect that people with personalities which "sweat the small stuff" usually do well building models  I'm also the guy who when using up the last paper towel in the kitchen puts on a fresh roll.  And how bends over to pick up a piece of trash left by someone else.  It must be the way my brain is wired. Well, at least partially - the other part is the way I was raised by my parents.

18 minutes ago, gbdolfans said:

I have a neighbor next door that has a loud riding mower on a 1/4 acre lot. He is mowing his lawn every 3 days in North Carolina in February.

He has no trees on his lot,but, will have to blow his yard after mowing.

HOW STUPID  !!! and irritating noise.

Sounds like he may be a malfunctioning robot.

1 hour ago, gbdolfans said:

I have a neighbor next door that has a loud riding mower on a 1/4 acre lot. He is mowing his lawn every 3 days in North Carolina in February.

He has no trees on his lot,but, will have to blow his yard after mowing.

HOW STUPID  !!! and irritating noise.

Is he married?  We have lived in our neighborhood for about 28 years and have witnessed some odd habits.  For some of the neighbors it was because he had to get away from the other half for a while.  For the other neighbors, they were just odd.

18 hours ago, gbdolfans said:

He is not married.Just living with his girlfriend. He moved here from NJ to take care of his sick mother.

He moved her out of her bedroom to a smaller one and took over the house which he got for free when she passed away from Cancer.

Sound like a nice devoted son don't you think. Hmm. We have a neighbor that mows his yard every 3 to 4 days during the summer months. He's retired and bored, but his yard is always looking like something out of Home & Garden TV.  

On 2/22/2018 at 4:44 PM, gbdolfans said:

Maybe he is trying to justify to himself the reasoning for purchasing a riding mower to start with, or maybe to justify to his wife why he needed it.  I have always felt some of those people up in the "high country" of NC were a bit effected by the cold air.  Personally,  I like to visit but will gladly reside in the Foothills. 

Recently, while sitting through a power point presentation regarding construction in the semiconductor industry, a slide came up that covered "electric wenches".

I told the instructor that a wench was not the same as a winch and she remarked that I was the first person to point that out, at which point I noted that this presentation was created about seven or eight years ago.

I should point out that the instructor was not the person that created the power point presentation but I do get an "eye roll" out of her every time I point out spelling mistakes, like... "by passing", as in defeating a safety feature. I told her that bypassing was actually one word.

I find the blase attitude of well paid industry professionals with regard to documentation and spelling/grammar to be irritating and contributory to the dumbing down of not just the USA, but the whole world.

2 hours ago, blunc said:

Recently, while sitting through a power point presentation regarding construction in the semiconductor industry, a slide came up that covered "electric wenches".

Electric wench...     Image result for robot from metropolis

Then of course, there's the eclectic wench...

Image result for annie hall

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

So over the weekend someone posts on Social Media that their going to shoot up a local High School today because of people being bullied or something. Well my hats off to the local PD since they let everyone know of their presences on Campus and I just got an update on my phone that they have tracked down the girl who posted the threat. Turns out she just didn't want to go to School today. You just can't fix stupid.      

On 2/24/2018 at 1:55 PM, cowboy rich said:

As much as I hate to say it....I see this even within my own family. I don't like it at all.

My wife and I have the Dysfunctional Family Olympics.  I've been married 20 years and it seems that when one of our families does something stupid, the other ones family somehow manages to out-stupid it!

Update on Stupid in the heartland. I mentioned the 14 year old girl that didn't want to go to school so she does the false "school threat" post and then someone else did it today for another area school. Makes me wonder what color of sky is in these kids world.  But yesterday we had our finest hour. Seems some guy steals someones PT Cruiser and goes for a joy ride and crashes. Then he somehow steals an ATV and ditches all of his clothes. He is next seen on the highway ( you might want to check You Tube on this) naked as a Jay Bird driving on the wrong side of the highway with MO. State Troopers, Sheriff, and city PD in hot pursuit. His does manage to finely crash and is arrested. The guy states he was "under the influence". Really, who would of thought. Now when you "Fly over"  the Heartland don't look down, nothing to see here. I love this place, you just can't make this stuff up.