Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid Is the New Smart

Ace-Garageguy

FAIR USE NOTICE: This thread may contain copyrighted material; the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available for the purposes of criticism, comment, review and news reporting which constitute the 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Not withstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work for purposes such as criticism, comment, review and news reporting is not an infringement of copyright.

From an article in the Intercollegiate Review:

August 28, 2014

"Stupid is the new smart.

Consider the nostrums of the digital era. “Video gaming is just a new form of literacy.” “Reality shows . . . challenge our emotional intelligence.” “Who cares if Johnny can’t read? The value of books is overstated.” “If you’re not on MySpace, you don’t exist.” Watching cartoons is “a kind of mental calisthenics” for small children. “The truth is, we need multitasking as much as we need air.”

Translation?

World of Warcraft is not altogether different from The Canterbury Tales. Vicarious existence through reality television contestants enables us to enjoy healthier interactions with real people. Ignorance is underrated. Living is interacting through online intermediaries. Let your television babysit your kids. Attention deficit disorder is strength, not malady.

Welcome to Idiotville, population seven billion...Intelligent people are using reason to rationalize intellectual laziness as progress and ridiculing time-tested methods of acquiring knowledge, wisdom, and understanding as outdated."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the entire article. Good for a laugh...and some serious thought. WARNING: REQUIRES READING

https://home.isi.org/stupid-new-smart

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There's no such thing as multitasking...you're just switching back and forth between tasks a lot.

You missed one..."talking about doing something is as good as doing something..."

It's been happening for a while now: changes to computer software to help the work-challenged.  It started with spellcheck.  Now I'm getting "corrections" on things that were correct to start with, causing me to have to go back and correct the "corrections".  So it would actually take less time in some instances to do something wrong, then trust the software to "correct" me.  Aggravating...

If not being on MySpace/Facebook/Twitter means not existing, I'm fine with that...

Thanks for posting the link, Bill. A very interesting and insightful piece. A dumbed down society is far easier to manipulate and control by those who pull the strings. Jerry Springer should have never been allowed to leave Forest Hills. :D 

If anyone is interested, Will and Ariel Durant's complete 11 volume series "The Story of Civilization" can be downloaded at Archive.org. Definitely worth reading.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

There's no such thing as multitasking...you're just switching back and forth between tasks a lot.

The inability to focus one's mental faculties for more than four seconds or prioritize their activities in an orderly manner is an indicator of a short attention span, a trait shared by cats and Millennials. At least, cats can be excused for this deficiency. They're cats.

28 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The inability to focus one's mental faculties for more than four seconds or prioritize their activities in an orderly manner is an indicator of a short attention span, a trait shared by cats and Millennials. At least, cats can be excused for this deficiency. They're cats.

You Some Folks Now Have a Shorter Attention Span Than a Goldfish

http://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hey I earn a living in the remediation of stupid!

I'm a consultant. I get called in when their stupid employees have screwed up a project so bad they have no way out.  I'm called when they are near or past deadline and the project budget has been spent.  With superman special powers, I pull off the impossible, usually with stupid employees trying to thwart me at every step.  Then before mentioned employee gets credit for the project on his / her review.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

10 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The future is now. 

The unfortunate fellow on the right probably doesn't have much in the way of intellectual options, but after doing an image search, it would seem he wasn't hittin' on all eight prior to the accident anyway.

The disturbing trend is ignorance-by-choice, especially when it's worn as some misguided badge of honor.

Ignorant and damm proud of it. There's a lot of it around.

This has been a concern of mine since I started to really watch what my sons were watching.

Recently even channels that should have educational shows like Discovery, History Channel, Animal Planet have terrible mindless dreck on them. 

My wife and I have recently moved into the country, away from people because living among them has become so onerous. 

That's funny,  I just ask my doctor last month if he could remove half my brain so I could blend in with the rest of the world.   I like the stupid people walking around Walmart texting, and run into you,,  or setting at a green light texting...  I call them

button heads,  cause without there buttons,  there is no world...  Duh,

On 12/14/2017 at 3:20 PM, Mike C said:

Plus there are flat earthers. Those people literally are too stupid to know they are stupid. AND they think they are smart. Like they know global earth is a conspiracy. LOL.

Ah, the very definition of stupid.   Stupid people don't know they are stupid.  That's why they are stupid.

Example:

Stupid says:  Kim Kardashian should be our president     Translation:  I am stupid

Smart Person responds:  Are you that stupid?

Stupid says:  It's MY opinion!   Translation:   Oh yes I am that stupid

Edited by Tom Geiger

Yeah, the first time I came across this flat earth nonsense was in YouTube under my "Recommended" stuff. I thought it was a joke. Anyway I can't help by leave comments making fun of them. If they reply beck then I will start ripping into them. I have absolutely no respect for these morons especially because they also claim the Moon landings were hoaxed too. And of course they are also riding on a number of other stupid conspiracy bandwagons. And they totally reject and deny science. They literally are irrational and too stupid to know that they are stupid. They all claim NASA images are faked but can't comprehend that mankind has known that the earth is a globe for centuries. It would be easier to explain math to a dog than to try to get these idiots to understand why the earth can't be flat, why all their flat earth "model" is total nonsense. I mean these morons also think everything revolves (orbits is really the correct word) around the earth because they think the earth is fixed in place. No point in trying to tell them about Solar time and Sidereal time, they're too stupid to understand it. These people couldn't find their butts with both hands. Sometimes when I rip into the morons I'll ask them a bunch of questions about the flat earth, stuff like "How do we is the earth covered in 50% day/night at the same time?" for example. Either I get no reply, or completely stupid nonsense. But most of them can't even give me the stupid flatard answers. One idiot told me my questions were childish. So then I really let him have it. And I also told him not to reply because there is nothing he could say that has any value. But they always reply. I just ignore them from that point. Otherwise I also tell them that they should think about why they can't answer my questions.