Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

4 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

This may be covered already, but does the inline engine have to be gas? Can it be an inline diesel? Just a possibility.

Well, the rules say, "Your build must feature an engine or engines with all cylinders in a row, of any variety." Rob makes the call, but it sounds favorable.

Plenty of trucks with big inline engines.
I thought about cutting one down into something that looked like a 1.5/1 scale Deuce Roadster but I don't have any truck kits and they are a bit pricey for me to buy to cut up.

Re Wankel engines.  If they were classed as "in-line" then using the same argument so would turbines and i'd be entering a Batmobile. B)

Here's my plan. Parts box special. I have the option of 34 ford 5 window coupe, or 29 Model A roadster or closed cab pickup for the body. Big prostreet tires from the USA 1 Corvette. Chrysler Slant Six from last year's Dodge 330 with a turbo pirated from a glue bomb Porsche. Everything is simply in the mockup stage right now. Not sure how I'm gonna design everything yet. Subject to change as usual.

1514059082264-314745943.jpg

15140591009551398322377.jpg

1514059114622380994425.jpg

1514059125401177418778.jpg

On 12/22/2017 at 7:35 PM, oldcarfan said:

This may be covered already, but does the inline engine have to be gas? Can it be an inline diesel? Just a possibility.

Diesel in-liners are fine. 6 days until we kick this off. I literally have everything all laid out on the bench top ready to go. On the second I'll start the roster, but I won't add you until I see the starter pic of your kit.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas if you celebrate such.

Edited by Jantrix

Just to head off a future "is this allowed" post I'm gonna throw this up. Look closely. This half V8 now has only four cylinders, all in-line. This is a Bonneville application, but with a good engineer and machinist, a road racing application is certainly possible. If this doesn't get your creative juices flowing nothing will. And for those of you without in-liners in your stash, options are now available. Please do some research. There is more to this modification than removing pistons and a cylinder head. 

Image result for half hemi

Im in. I cant post an actual pic of what I have atm, I've got my workbench broken down to move it around and I have some upgrades for it which I'm hoping to have up and ready to roll by the first. But I already know what I'm doing and posted parts previously but I do have most of what I want here already. So for me, I'll be doing the following, 

2v2uM6qP3xAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

Tamiya Nissan Skyline Ztune as a base. I'll be adding/modifying parts on the body and chassis. I'm still debating on staying with this or going back to an R32....but it's definitely going to be a Skyline.

2v2uM6qYJxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hobby Design Nissan RB26 Skyline engine kit.

2v2uM6qcoxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hobby Design 21" Monza wheels with some Bridgestone rubber. 

2v2uM6qD9xAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hobby Design Sparco racing seats, and some Eduard Seatbelts. 

I've got more parts as well. 

I'm still undecided on colour at this point. 

Looking forward to starting...and finishing this time.

Edited by Jhedir6

17 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Just to head off a future "is this allowed" post I'm gonna throw this up. Look closely. This half V8 now has only four cylinders, all in-line. This is a Bonneville application, but with a good engineer and machinist, a road racing application is certainly possible. If this doesn't get your creative juices flowing nothing will. And for those of you without in-liners in your stash, options are now available. Please do some research. There is more to this modification than removing pistons and a cylinder head. 

The Pontiac Tempest engine was like this. It's even available in kit form in as "Mickey Thompson's Pontiac Attempt 1"  2vrGYunMxaDRgL.jpg

I'm still not sure what I'll be building... I have a few options but I'd like to stay with a bit smaller size cars as I'd like to keep the engine naturally aspirated. Definitely no turbos for me as that would be too obvious. Supercharging a straight six would be fun and that's what I'll probably do if I end up with a bigger body style.

I have several choices, for example a '75 Dart Sport that would be my #1 choice if it wasn't missing the whole front end (No fenders or nose clip at all)... Then I could do a '63 Nova which would be very interesting, but I have only two of those Trumpeter HTs and those kits are not easy to find here in Finland... Then there's a '62 Bel Air which is an old builtup that has everything except the engine that was taken in for another project. But that's a heavy car that would need some supercharging!:P

I appreciate the offer Mike, I'll keep it in mind for sure. Right now I'm a bit short on money so I'll be building something I already have. But sometimes I come across a seller who doesn't want to ship outside USA and Canada, so with those cases a bit of help would be awesome. Thanks.