Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

Hope you feel better soon Rob

Put me down for the combined vette with a straight 8 with turbos... (picture on page 1)

Let the hacking and slashing begin, Hehehe....

NKrGQKt.jpg

Think I'm going to need all the minions back this time...

Cheers to All CannonBallers!

Edited by Belugawrx

6 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Put me down for the combined vette with a straight 8 with turbos... (picture on page 1)

Let the hacking and slashing begin, Hehehe....

NKrGQKt.jpg

Think I'm going to need all the minions back this time...

Cheers to All CannonBallers!

Nice Bruce, starting already. I've got a couple AMG's to wrap up this week, then I'm going to start on my Skyline. I AM GOING to finish this year. 

Good luck to everyone.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:47 PM, Belugawrx said:

Thanks Bruce. I'm back at work today. Got a little bench time.

Deleted the stock tranny for the slant six and replaced it with a modern 5 speed automatic from the AMT 5.7L hemi. Set up the stock motor mounts and added a cross member to support the whole shooting match. With only a wheel/tire change and an engine swap, I don't foresee any issues with this build. I'll be adding the bumpers from the Monogram '37 Ford to make it a little more street-able. I'm not a fan of the sans-bumpers look that most Willys coupes have. I'm still kicking around the paint. The big super glossy Willys is the norm for these cars so I'm thinking flat white. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Deleted the stock tranny for the slant six and replaced it with a modern 5 speed automatic from the AMT 5.7L hemi. Set up the stock motor mounts and added a cross member to support the whole shooting match. 

Watch out Rob, don't get seduced by the gremlin's sweet siren song of "just one more little thing," and its B-side hit, "Well, if I do this then I might as well just do this and this." And then, well, you know how it goes. :P

So, while waiting for a paint screw up to dry on my Rabbit...the guys at the shop started work on the Miata. 

We were discussing engine options when Otto, one of our mechanics from Germany, mentioned his father, who worked with Toyota Racing, had a crate in the garage with an engine.

”Really? What engine”

”Ich weiss nicht” 

Mystery crate:

E378D46C-F67E-4130-B069-5420810F742C.jpeg

Here’s what I’ve done.

I’ve shortened the frame, added 3 turbos and modified some other things here and there.  

After doing some math the engine I’m running at best gets 4mpg and the fuel tank on the model holds around 100 gallons a pice and lm running 4 tanks+an extra spare tank and the cannonball run is about 3300 miles and after all the math I will have to make one fuel stop.

due to some other more important projects I have going on right now I probably won’t get to much done until later in the year.

914E4BA9-E83C-4343-88C9-0C5D38DC3EAA.png

5E94F6B7-99A6-4C9C-8052-701237544507.png

OK, time for the 850 then....
26239658_1558879050865605_42164867044395
Proof that it is an unbuilt kit....though a mess in the box with lots of other stuff that may be usable....

26229809_1558879037532273_86400042253165

Since Tamiya was clever enough to cast the floor with all the reinforcements and such, I'll skip the floor mats that are just unnecessary weight.... I painted it the shade of cream I will give the body later.... I read somewhere that cream is the most discrete color for a car, that you have the highest risk of getting pulled over in a red car, the lowest risk in a cream one, so cream it is!

26195828_1558879047532272_52457290839902

Back seat is very unnecessary too....

I haven't started mine yet, but I did it down over the weekend and look at my box of parts to start mapping out the build.

unfortunately, plan A won't work the way I want it to.

My plan was to put the diesel inline-6 from a Peterbilt into my C1500 chassis. But it doesn't look like I'll be able to stuff that engine into the engine bay.

So I'm going to focus on plan B, and will get some pics up soon. I'll probably start a seperate thread for the build.

:)

On 12/14/2017 at 2:14 PM, Jantrix said:

image.png.bb432203b71e4ad2dc9975a0e3388bf3.png

The rules:

The theme is in-line engines. Your build must feature an engine or engines with all cylinders in a row, of any variety.

13 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Back seat is very unnecessary too....

Yes, but I do believe an actual engine in this is necessary, which this kit does not have. I'm not trying to start anything but the lack of an engine and not fitting the rules is why I'm still searching through my stash to find something to enter and my 850 is remaining on the shelf. 

OK, I did choose the 850 since it (the real car) has an inline 5 cylinder as its only available engine configuration, and it feels like a curbside build by default is supposed to have its stock engine, if that's a stretch of the rules Jantrix  could tell me now, and I'll choose something else.

Edited by Cpt Tuttle

8 hours ago, highway said:

The rules:

The theme is in-line engines. Your build must feature an engine or engines with all cylinders in a row, of any variety.

Having settled on using a V8, the mad mechanic had no choice but to warp space to put them in line. (That, or use a lot of mirrors.)

3 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

OK, I did choose the 850 since it (the real car) has an inline 5 cylinder as its only available engine configuration, and it feels like a curbside build by default is supposed to have its stock engine, if that's a stretch of the rules Jantrix  could tell me now, and I'll choose something else.

I think if we were doing pretty much any other theme, a curbside would likely be okay, although it's certainly not the norm for Cannonball racers. However as the theme specifically calls out a particular style engine, I do not believe a curbside is a good pick. Having said that, I am NOT going to disallow the model, as we have never had a rule against curbsides. I'm not inclined to make one now. If you want to build it as a curbside and call it an in-liner, so be it. But .................. on December 2, we race. It's hard to win a race without an engine.

I think you have some pretty good points there. I will think it over.... I can always save the 850 for a later run, because after all, as you say, if the engine type is the whole point of the build, a curbside goes a bit against it.... and I never thought about it since I was only thinking about what's there in the real car..... On the other hand, this is not a stocker buildoff so it's not as obvious. I may look in my stash for some other stuff, we'll see. I may have a good idea.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, 426 pack said:

Here’s what I’ve done.

I’ve shortened the frame, added 3 turbos and modified some other things here and there.  

After doing some math the engine I’m running at best gets 4mpg and the fuel tank on the model holds around 100 gallons a pice and lm running 4 tanks+an extra spare tank and the cannonball run is about 3300 miles and after all the math I will have to make one fuel stop.

due to some other more important projects I have going on right now I probably won’t get to much done until later in the year.

914E4BA9-E83C-4343-88C9-0C5D38DC3EAA.png

5E94F6B7-99A6-4C9C-8052-701237544507.png

What kit is that? Is it the kit engine?  More ideas. LOL

Tim

1 hour ago, Tim H said:

What kit is that? Is it the kit engine?  More ideas. LOL

Tim

It is the revell 359 peterbiult and aside form the 3 turbos it is the kit engine. I have shortened the frame and added a different back half because I messed up the original rear suspension, added extra fuel tanks, triple turboed it and cut the sleeper of. The reason I have 3 turbos, extra1/2 of a frame and extra fuel tanks is because I have of 3 Thea’s kits, 2 of them I took parts from for other projects and one was in opened. 

Alright guys, count me in with a '62 Chevy Bel Air Bubbletop.:P

The starting point is an old AMT '62 Bubbletop builtup that I've had laying around for years. It has most of the parts except for the engine that I robbed for Don Nicholson's '61 Impala Super Stock car. That said, it's the perfect choice for this build. And while some of the other Cannonballers seem to trust in modern powerplants and technology, I'll be hopping up a '50s Chevy Stovebolt Six for this thing. Because that engine is pretty weak as stock, it'll need some speed parts on it and most importantly somekind of a power adder. Of course, a turbocharger would be obvious choice, but because I like to go a bit different route, I'm going to install a supercharger setup from a '57 Ford on that Chevy engine.

Here are a couple of pics of the starting point...

P1111637-vi.jpg

P1111638-vi.jpg

P1111639-vi.jpg

P1111640-vi.jpg