Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

9 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Vintage Chevy - AMT 51 Chevys , AMT 37 Chevy, Monogram 53 Chevy, Galaxie 47 Chevy line of kits.

Vintage Mopar - 41 Plymouth - flat 6. Lindberg 330, AMT Deora and AMT XR6 - slant six 

Vintage Ford - Revell '31 Model A's

These are just off the top of my head. There are lots more, european, japanese, domestic. What sort of car are you into? Maybe someone can recommend something.

One of the AMT early Firebirds has a Pontiac straight six in it IIRC.

And then there is the Red Baron Show Rod.  That's also got an inline engine.

Mongoram did a Fox Mustang Cobra with a turbo'd Pinto four in it.

Fujimi do a tuning parts kit containing a pair of straight six Nissans.

Monogram BMW 535 has a straight six.

Clearly Scale (http://www.clearlyscale.com/category/engines) do 3 different 1.8 litre VW fours.

The Parts Box  (https://www.thepartsbox.com/store/index.php?page=browse&action=list&group=3&cat=17) do Resin Ford and Holden Sixes, a flathead six, an offy, a Nissan SR20 and a Toyota 2JZ.

And so on...

Edited by zenrat

I think one of the Moebius Ford trucks has a 300 Inline 6 in it. The 69 i think. I'd think there would be a few people chiming in with a Cummins diesel in something. I think there's one of them made by Trailer Trash customs? Don't quote me on that but i do remember seeing a resin cast 5.9 somewhere on this board before. I'm having a ball with my 34. Just need to take some pics to post up. I've not had this much fun with a model in quite some time. Probably because I've not built a complete parts box sourced hot rod in an eternity. I'll post some pics of my current progress when i get a chance to.

Edited by wrecker388

10 hours ago, zenrat said:

The Parts Box  (https://www.thepartsbox.com/store/index.php?page=browse&action=list&group=3&cat=17) do Resin Ford and Holden Sixes, a flathead six, an offy, a Nissan SR20 and a Toyota 2JZ.

I looked at those. I wish they'd do a better job at identifying the brand and model of the engine. Grey six cylinder isn't very descriptive.

I think I might be able to throw together an entry the plan is to strip back a revell 41 Willis and shove the running gear from a revell svo fox body in it I plAn to remove the fenders and bonnet and maybe the turbo for a blower

Off the top of my head.

Amt 50 Chevy Truck ( Bruce commented on ) , 1953 Corvette Blue Flame 6  

MPC Willys Jeep, Monogram 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe , Monogram Duesenberg  Has an Inline 6 or 8.

Now with some looking around. 

Lindberg 29 Mercedes Benz SSK has an inliner. The Olds Aerotech has a Quad 4,  newly  released Datson Pickup has a 4 cylinder, Amt Courier has a Turbo 2.3  4 , 1932 Chevy has a 6 roadster and the delivery also, Monogram 31 Rolls Royce has a 6. 

What does the 30's Packard Boat tail have in it? 

The one I have not seen mentioned yet is the Hudson kits.  With that being Said I am in with a Hudson. I think I have one here. 

On 26/01/2018 at 1:44 AM, Jantrix said:

I looked at those. I wish they'd do a better job at identifying the brand and model of the engine. Grey six cylinder isn't very descriptive.

Ah, yes.  That is for copyright reasons.  Holden six engines are named for the colour they were painted by the factory - Grey, Red, Blue, Black.

Pursuit six cylinder is a 200ci Ford.
Grey Six is a 133 or 138ci Holden.
Red Six is a 130 to 202ci Holden.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_straight-six_motor
Red Six X2 is a 179ci twin carb Holden.
Kew is a 250ci 50's Dodge flathead.
SR20DET is a 2 litre DOHC EFI Turbo Nissan four.
2JZ-GTE is a 3 litre DOHC Turbo Toyota six.

The Hogan's Heroes jeep has an inline engine.  A four cylinder Willys flathead which would be right at home where you are putting that slant six...

Hi guys, I would like to enter this year's cannonball run. This year I would like to enter Revell Alley Rat, powered by Trailer Trash Kustoms 5.9L Cummins which I plan to add a twin turbo to this engine. I will draw a lot of inspiration from the new Dodge Power Wagon, as it is something i'm thinking of purchasing in 1:1 . Here are some pics of the engine and kit before I start. 

20180130_222707.jpg

20180130_222912.jpg

Edited by bill_67

9 hours ago, bill_67 said:

Hi guys, I would like to enter this year's cannonball run. This year I would like to enter Revell Alley Rat, powered by Trailer Trash Kustoms 5.9L Cummins which I plan to add a twin turbo to this engine. I will draw a lot of inspiration from the new Dodge Power Wagon, as it is something i'm thinking of purchasing in 1:1 . Here are some pics of the engine and kit before I start. 

Bill, I think I speak for everyone when I say, you have our attention. A very unusual and very cool idea you have there and we'll be looking forward to seeing it come together.

I've added you to the roster. 

If anyone needs to be added to the roster, on the second post in this thread, please make sure we've seen photos of your unstarted project, and let me know.

I think I'm going to throw my hat in the ring on this one. I'm doing the AMT 77 Mustang II with donor parts from I think a Revell Mustang of similar vintage with the 240 straight six from the Moebius 69 F-100. The engine is going to get a turbo and modern electronics and I will scare up some tunery style wheels from somewhere.

20180131_103233.thumb.jpg.11661edba9fa09fd7fdf22c9f35d4309.jpg

On 1/24/2018 at 10:12 PM, zenrat said:

One of the AMT early Firebirds has a Pontiac straight six in it IIRC.

And then there is the Red Baron Show Rod.  That's also got an inline engine.

Mongoram did a Fox Mustang Cobra with a turbo'd Pinto four in it.

Fujimi do a tuning parts kit containing a pair of straight six Nissans.

Monogram BMW 535 has a straight six.

Clearly Scale (http://www.clearlyscale.com/category/engines) do 3 different 1.8 litre VW fours.

And so on...

The recently re-released AMT 280ZX has an inline 6 as well.

Get down with the (Slant) Sickness!

Introducing the start and rudimentary mockup of my turbo 225 Slant powered 34 Ford 5 window. Gonna go with a heavy patina on the body, and I'm sticking with the Roadkill inspired hater pipe exhaust. I originally planned to use a Mustang II IFS from a Monogram 37 Ford, but it refused to cooperate so we're going old school. Front frame rails aren't exactly straight but that simply is a result of all of the torque and horsepower the 225 is putting out. Lol

0204181626~2.jpg

0204181622~2.jpg

0204181623~2.jpg

0203182140c~2.jpg

12 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

If I may join late, I'd like to do so. I gave up on trying to convert a Chevy six into a Cummins 6BT and ordered the Cummins from Trailer Trash Customs. I also got the Dodge Ramcharger last night on clearance so I think the two will make a good combo.

Gary, happy to have you.

Just FYI for anyone considering joining us, there is NO official start date. You can join this CBP up to 48 hours before the end of the build off.