Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

And finally - paint. It's a pale green. This will be a patina rod so after a week or so of gassing out and hardening (Krylon enamel), I'll start to distress the paint. I was originally going for a black with dark green interior but because of the limited light in the interior bcause of the window size, the interior turned onto a black hole. I'll strip the black and go for a primer grey and dark green, with a little clear. More soon.

26312036857_04ee26d68e_z.jpg

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

And finally - paint. It's a pale green. This will be a patina rod so after a week or so of gassing out and hardening (Krylon enamel), I'll start to distress the paint. I was originally going for a black with dark green interior but because of the limited light in the interior bcause of the window size, the interior turned onto a black hole. I'll strip the black and go for a primer grey and dark green, with a little clear. More soon.

Looking good Rob,  I like the green !  Mine will be green too ,  all my Cannonball cars have been mostly a green color or partially green.

Classy ride there Rob, Nice interior Pat

The bots have been busy...

PnsGy87.jpg

ZIL82Lv.jpg

Had to let Jake go,..totally messed up the first bonnet, but Tom Billings (tbill), came thru with a new one, ...thnx Tom

OQ1FmN6.jpg

Cheers CannonBallers

Edited by Belugawrx

While I'm waiting on new wheels and tires to get here I decided to press forward with an engine mod I had debated since starting this project. Since I was previously trying to keep this build simple and within the realm of possibility I left the stock head and pushrod setup on the engine. Now that I have abandoned common sense I decided to go with an experimental dual overhead cam setup. Most early inline engines had the intake and exhaust ports on the same side of the head because the pushrods took up the other side of the head. Ford experimented with a crossflow head where the intake runners passed between the pushrods but the design wasn't any more efficient than the existing head due to the runners being so small. I took the concept one step further by converting the engine to a modern belt driven dual overhead cam design. I used valve covers from a 4.6 mod motor turned end to end and shortened a bit to make the cover for the straight 6.

20180405_182628.thumb.jpg.c159ee64bc2e6704b6eae340376dcb09.jpg

I bought a couple kits when Hobby Lobby had their sale, the old Dodge 70 Hemi Challenger, the new Dodge Challenger and the Dodge Ram. I  made a small amount of progress on my build, mostly just cleaning up the body and such. I also got the Cummins 6BT from Trailer Trash Kustomz, (thanks!). I was leaning towards a redneck rat-mobile, but then I remembered one of my favorite trends from a couple years ago. The Dajiban? Remember those? Japanese racers take old Dodge vans and lower them for road racing. So I've decided to build.... The DajiRam! I plan to go low and 2wd instead of the original idea of lifted and big tired. I was going to do a different chassis, but I am going to try modifying the box chasis first. I lowered the rear and am trying out the 70 Challenger front suspension. Here's a picture of a Dajiban and a pic of the mockup with the engine laid out.

dodgedajivan.PNG

DodgeRam.PNG

Edited by oldcarfan

12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Ugh. Still haven't started mine yet. Other than gathering parts.

Need the weather to turn, and finally have spring arrive so I can get in to the garage and spread out ideas on the bench!

I understand. No place to build indoors?

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I understand. No place to build indoors?

Kitchen table, but of course that means I get to pack up every night. If I'm fabbing stuff and mapping out something, I need the space of my workbench!

Garage is insulated, but not heated...yet. And everytime the weather gets nice, mother nature turns around, givers us the finger and snows again! lolz.

Supposed to be nice this weekend, fingers crossed spring is arriving!

:)

Everything is looking good guys.

I finally made a SMALL bit of progress on the Datsun... Everything I wanted to be flat black is. Just barely beat the rain. Lol... Some of my parts have some serious warpage... Gotta see if I can get that worked out.

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

would you like to explain how you achieved that look

I can try.

Fisrt paint the body flat black , gray primer, and then body color .  Thin layers and let dry.

Wet sand the body all over , in the places you want real rusty it's ok to go to the plastic. Then dullcote it. 

I use acrylic craft paint( Craftsmart ). Dab the bare areas with black. You can dry brush  graphite gray in areas you want primer spots.

Then dry brush graphite gray and vanilla in the direction water would streak down the body. 

Then I give the body a wash of Citadel miniatures chestnut or dark flesh wash. Blot excess of with a sponge , or add more streaks with a clean brush.

Dullcote again.

Go back to the areas you want rusty. Use black and brick red , bad both together with a old worn out brush till it looks the way you want it. You can use terra cotta got some brighter rust . Thin the terra cotta with a liner brush to add rusty streaks.

Use the vanilla and with a really dry brush the body in the direction of the streaks to dull it up more.

You can use a black wash in areas you want darker and body lines.

Just build up layer till you get the look you want.

Do your foiling on the trim and dullcote again . You can leave it like that , or go back over the rusty spots to give more texture.  

Hope you can figure that all out.

20180415_224648.thumb.jpg.6dfa2f562c916999a77a7e1bf2b36a31.jpg20180415_225012.thumb.jpg.e45706e2923534255104e8bc533e732d.jpg20180415_224930.thumb.jpg.3840c6f0cdadbfae0e345c10d3ec6395.jpg20180415_224939.thumb.jpg.560b076681a8ad2dbc66bc0ce9d1f0fe.jpg20180415_224939.thumb.jpg.560b076681a8ad2dbc66bc0ce9d1f0fe.jpg

20180415_224925.jpg

Edited by Pat Minarick