Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

image.png.a9eb8e3995b04900fd706eb94d34ea64.png

Welcome race fans, to the 11th annual running of the Model Car Cannonball Run. This year’s run is shaping up to be especially memorable as the racers will have to leave their beloved V8’s at home! That’s right, the only allowed power plants are in-liners of any variety. So expect some serious mad scientist engineering as our race teams are going to strive for every last possible horsepower. There is no shortage of in-line power plants available, both foreign and domestic. So which engine gets chosen and why will be of particular interest.

image.png.bb432203b71e4ad2dc9975a0e3388bf3.png

The rules:

The theme is in-line engines. Your build must feature an engine or engines with all cylinders in a row, of any variety.

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A rebuilder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run. I’ve decided to continue this rule from last year, as the goal of this CBP was always to get people building and finishing models.

2.       Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used. I have a feeling we’re gonna see some weird stuff this year.

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

4.       As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

-          You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

-          The car can be as eye catching or non-descript as you wish. Bright colors and/or racing livery will make you more noticeable to local law enforcement, but that’s your problem.

-          Build time begins on January 1st, 2018, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2018, local time. That’s 11 months’ folks.

-          After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

-          A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS! I cannot emphasize this enough, good photos are essential. No one has won this with crappy photos in poor lighting.

-          You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

-          You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

Edited by Jantrix

I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge last years Cannonball winner. Bruce Coy. Bruce has set the bar high, just like all our past winners have.

image.png.eeaecaecbe2db9381cc3ad92f1758e0f.png

Okay. Lets get creative. I started this thread early for planning purposes only, no building until Jan 1.

2018 Cannonball Roster

426 Pack - keeps changing - who knows what he'll build

Jantrix - '41 Willys

IAMSUPERDAN - Chevy Truck

Erik Smith - '92 Miata

BelugaWRX - Amalgam Corvette

KWT - Datsun 240Z

Zenrat - Bugatti Royale

Meatman - Ford-Opel  Cobra

TimJ - Toyota Supra

Wrecker388 - Ford Hot Rod

Cpt. Tuttle - Morris Mini Cooper

JHedir6 - Nismo R34 GT-R

LouO - Pinto Wagon

Grid 88 - Ford Focus SVT

Bill_67 - Revell Alley Rat pick-up

Fat Brian - 77 Mustang II

da_ashman- Nissan Silvia

larman - 69 Firebird

440 6BBL - '69 Charger

disconovaman - 65 Chevy pick up

landman - Lemans Packard 8

Pat Minarick - AMX

Oldmopars - ?

RickRoller LT1 - 98 Firebird

Edited by Jantrix

Here's the plan.

27284385969_ef4184657e_b.jpg

In order to ensure a completed build next December, I'm gonna use the KISS principle. Keep it Simple Stupid. No custom chassis, no major fabrication. I'm gonna build the Revell Goodguys kit with just a wheel/tire and engine change. The engine will be a single turbo slant six with EFI. I'll add a same side intercooler. Not sure about paint yet. I'm leaning towards something weathered or primered, but it's gotta stand out. A military paint job would be perfect for this, but I've done that recently. 

Edited by Jantrix

19 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Here's my 3 biulds they are just mocked up right.

1- tamiya Nissan skyline 2000 gtr

2- AMT dautsun 280zx turbo

3- revell 359 peterbilt

Cale, you'd be doing us a favor if you'd pick a build that will be your "main" build, the one you intend on completing no matter what, to be ready on race day. With fewer build options than normal, freeing up some build ideas and potential kits/ engine sources, would be appreciated. You can still build all three of course. No one wants to be up against three other Skylines on race day. Catch my drift?

Me? I'd build that Skyline.

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Cale, you'd be doing us a favor if you'd pick a build that will be your "main" build, the one you intend on completing no matter what, to be ready on race day. With fewer build options than normal, freeing up some build ideas and potential kits/ engine sources, would be appreciated. You can still build all three of course. No one wants to be up against three other Skylines on race day. Catch my drift?

Me? I'd build that Skyline.

Yeah I think the skyline will be my main build. The reason I have 3 builds planed is for backups incase I don't like the way the first one went or something happens to it. I probably will build 2 out of the three I just need to figure out what one will be the backup.

Hope this helps.  

Edited by 426 pack

Well well well ...I see the usual suspects are signing in for 11 months of fun and frivolity... 

This year I am taking these dust collectors out and trying to make a road warrior out of the mess..

Engines comes from the 1960 Chevrolet Apache and will be combined into an inline 8 with a couple of turbos...!

The '98 gave up its chassis to the SleeperBall, but it is nicer looking than that '96 Grand Sport<_<

6XWdY7E.jpg

Almost time to kick the tires and light the fires boys and girls !

Have Fun!!

Edited by Belugawrx

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be using the Revell BRE Datsun 240z as my main focus...

IMG_20171226_202341502.jpg.eb556b9df1900fe6258b078da6da10a2.jpg

That is unless I can come up with a engine that I've had on my mind lately... researching, researching, researching...

Edited by KWT

I love the entries so far, and that got the juices flowing.

Taking this curbside Nissan Mid-4 and adding the straight 6 from the Skyline I put the Vette motor in for the Sleeperball.

I'm thinking about loping off a couple of cylinders though and twin-charging it with a supercharger and turbocharger.

Word is you can get 300 horse from a streetable 4 cylinder that way, with the 40 MPG.

I started to put this together before but the paint wrinkled in spots so it was back to the drawing board. Not a curbside fan anyway.

Mid 4 Kit.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

11 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Do you think you’ll find room for an inline in that, Fred? 

10 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Can Fred use an inline 20?

Standard Royale powerplant is a 12.7 Litre straight eight.  Obviously that will need to be boosted.  I am pondering whether to use turbochargers or superchargers or both.
zenrat industries is investigating the production of a DOHC cylinder head, independent suspension and 4 wheel drive.

B)

On 12/14/2017 at 1:14 PM, Jantrix said:

image.png.a9eb8e3995b04900fd706eb94d34ea64.png

Welcome race fans, to the 11th annual running of the Model Car Cannonball Run. This year’s run is shaping up to be especially memorable as the racers will have to leave their beloved V8’s at home! That’s right, the only allowed power plants are in-liners of any variety. So expect some serious mad scientist engineering as our race teams are going to strive for every last possible horsepower. There is no shortage of in-line power plants available, both foreign and domestic. So which engine gets chosen and why will be of particular interest.

image.png.bb432203b71e4ad2dc9975a0e3388bf3.png

The rules:

The theme is in-line engines. Your build must feature an engine or engines with all cylinders in a row, of any variety.

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A rebuilder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run. I’ve decided to continue this rule from last year, as the goal of this CBP was always to get people building and finishing models.

2.       Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used. I have a feeling we’re gonna see some weird stuff this year.

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

4.       As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

-          You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

-          The car can be as eye catching or non-descript as you wish. Bright colors and/or racing livery will make you more noticeable to local law enforcement, but that’s your problem.

-          Build time begins on January 1st, 2018, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2018, local time. That’s 11 months’ folks.

-          After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

-          A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS! I cannot emphasize this enough, good photos are essential. No one has won this with crappy photos in poor lighting.

-          You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

-          You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

A question came up during the theme discussion - does a rotary qualify as an inline?  It doesn't have a V- or boxer set-up so what say you Rob?

4 minutes ago, djflyer said:

Apologies - I am asking about a Wankel design, not an aviation style.  The rotars may turn in a circular motion but all the combustion chambers align in a single plane.

I'm familiar with the Wankel. I'm inclined to say no, just to keep everyone on the same playing field. We chose in-liners. Although the rotary combustion chambers are as you describe, it really is an entirely different style engine.

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

I'm familiar with the Wankel. I'm inclined to say no, just to keep everyone on the same playing field. We chose in-liners. Although the rotary combustion chambers are as you describe, it really is an entirely different style engine.

No worries - I have a few other inlines I can come up with something for.  I just had a 4-rotor that I thought would be an interesting basis.