Model Cars Magazine Forum

Memorial build #1, Chaparral 2D Daytona

aurfalien

Hi,

This build is dedicated to my dear and late friend Ed Erbeck Jr, ie; CrazyEd.  He was very kind, friendly and a genuinely great guy with many interests.

Ed had passed away earlier this year much to my dismay and to the dismay of many others.  I was however fortunate enough to buy a few of his most treasured kits, the Chaparrals and boy did he love them!  Special thanks to his dearest wife Carol for making this happen.

I'm sure Ed would have been pleased in what I've done with his Chaparral coupe.  The build was bitter sweet in that I loved building his kit but hated why it came to be.

At any rate, this is the first of 4-5 planned memorial builds in his name.

Now on to the kit, I think Monogram did a fantastic job as the body is superb.  Great shape, good molded detail etc...  The rest of the kit is, well, basic but offers great opportunities for customization.

A few things I would have done different;

1) Added several more coats of white paint.
2) Made my own glass as the kit glass was too thick.
3) Found some Chaparral cartograph or other high quality decals.

Other then that, I'm very pleased with myself especially being some what of a newbie and struggling.

I was going to bloviate about all the added detail but will instead defer to the pictures as they speak for them selves.  I hope you all enjoy.

PS I'm trying imgur for photo sharing as imgbox resizes the images were as imgur doesn't.

1CuW3Kp.jpg

vB1UlC7.jpg

Fmooj8m.jpg

c9ULChI.jpg

fyLJC1D.jpg

jxsvrfp.jpg

716B6oG.jpg

0J9ocCf.jpg

YHzSm0P.jpg

Z9vpq5y.jpg

5KmBTTv.jpg

5rauyGn.jpg

w4IZBGi.jpg

GZ0uL93.jpg

8mkiGDb.jpg

fpSnuri.jpg

EyHcavX.jpg

V7Br0oY.jpg

U1iR2SL.jpg

PqYxbPv.jpg

2vYgl5E.jpg

8CCqu82.jpg

Your added details have really made the basic kit come alive. The skills displayed by your build indicate that you are beyond a "newbie", your friend would have been very pleased by the workmanship!

Congrats and cheers, Misha

Edited by Misha
Puncuation

25 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Well done Aurf !!

Ed would have loved the care and attention to detail, you gave this kit..

Looks GREAT

Cheers brother

X2.  You did a wonderful job, I'm sure Ed is looking down and smiling.  Thanks for sharing the story.

20 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

it looks awesome !  a great tribute to  Crazy Ed.   The  extra detail  really makes it stand out  .   what  aluminum wheel  inserts did you use ?   

Bill

Hi Bill and many thanks for such nice words.

The inserts are from ScaleProduction and fit 15-16" wheels;

http://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p2180_15--16--wheel-rings.html