Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Datsun Fairlady 240ZG... Under Glass!

jaymcminn

10 hours ago, freddy_fo said:

Very nice! Your build has inspired me to pull mine off the dusty shelf (built 14 years ago) and clean it up a bit. I too dislike the rubber seals around the windshield and hatch window. The edges of the window appear rough and are not hidden by the seal which I think is the most unattractive part. In retrospect I think I would have sanded the edges then coated with liquid cement to take out some of that look.

This is actually pics of my first run at the windows. I didn't like the visible edge of the window so I polished the edges and ran around them with a black Sharpie, which cleaned up the whole look a lot. I actually did print underhood decals, which really complete the car. I've been pretty lazy about getting under glass pics up of this model... I think I'll have to remedy that situation tomorrow!

Very fine looking work. I have one of these, and the rally car version, been on the shelf for MANY years. Your work is certainly inspiring.

Thanks also for the reference to Tamiya's replacement parts program. The tires from a 1/12 911 kit are dry-rotted, and finding them elsewhere has proven to be impossible.

22 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

This is actually pics of my first run at the windows. I didn't like the visible edge of the window so I polished the edges and ran around them with a black Sharpie, which cleaned up the whole look a lot. I actually did print underhood decals, which really complete the car. I've been pretty lazy about getting under glass pics up of this model... I think I'll have to remedy that situation tomorrow!

Good idea. I'm not too keen on popping out my windows to do that so I'll live with it for now. Maybe I can get a sharpie in the gap and at least do that part. Did you have a problem with the windshield not matching the contour of the body? On mine the lower right corner tends to pop out more. I need to come up with a plan to fix that somehow. Looks terrible the way it currently is.  I like your idea of carpeting using felt. I think I may do that to mine as well. May even try and retrofit a headliner in there. Will be kind of fiddly with the car being assembled but that would clean up the car interior real nice. 

As promised here are some under glass shots... If I had it all to do again I would DEFINITELY have waited and installed the plug wires before installing the motor. What a nightmare. I made wire guides from aluminum printer's plate. Underhood decals were printed on Micro-Mark decal paper from an online pic of an aftermarket set. Just for the hell of it, I scratchbuilt a hood prop rod as well. The window trim has been blacked out, which looks great against the dark green and hides the "chunkiness" of the moldings somewhat. I blacked out most of the body trim as well. 

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

This really scratched my annual itch for a big-scale build. It's a challenging kit, mostly due to the relatively primitive (and sometimes downright bizarre) engineering, but can turn out really nice with some extra effort. Thanks for looking, and as always questions and comments are welcome!

Edited by jaymcminn
added text
  • Like 1

• jaymcminn changed the title to 1/12 Tamiya Datsun Fairlady 240ZG... Under Glass!