Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hum3d - Large Source of 3D Modelled Autos

I don't have any experience with Hum3D, but I doubt if you can plug them directly into a 3d printer without a lot of modification. A good place to start with learning how to 3d print bodies would be the 3D Warehouse. Their digital models are free, but vary in quality from toy-like to very good. A digital body is a membrane and must be given thickness to be able to print. You do this by building a series of planes on the inside of the body. Download Sketchup and learn it. There are numerous videos and websites about it.

Let me enlighten you on Hum3d. I use them and the models are very good. At $75 a pop, their worth it to me. The 37 F & F Delehaye 135 I'm working on is from them. If you want a 3d printable file, it's $400. Since I am able to use a cad software, I can make the $75 file printable. 

48 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

Let me enlighten you on Hum3d. I use them and the models are very good. At $75 a pop, their worth it to me. The 37 F & F Delehaye 135 I'm working on is from them. If you want a 3d printable file, it's $400. Since I am able to use a cad software, I can make the $75 file printable. 

Interesting. Can you post up a couple of pics of what you've been able to do wit htheir $75 file? I'm genuinely curious about this.

:)

I got that same email this morning.  Probably because I recently bought some 1/24 scale AK-47 rifles from a Shapeways vendor, Anyuta. (They look really good.)

Along with all the car kits, the email mentioned some other interesting subjects - 3D-printed cats and guinea pigs! 

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Interesting. Can you post up a couple of pics of what you've been able to do wit htheir $75 file? I'm genuinely curious about this.

:)

It's not that easy to explain but, I try my best. First of, it's like a model. It's assembled in pieces. This is the total car:

20170504_160332.jpg.bd9a8ea4f196ac5953d0e1ee04cdd7e9.jpg  

here are some brake out shots:

Selection_236.jpg.a38855b4a673fedfb15a5742cb4dab35.jpgSelection_237.jpeg.27315d4e1ad1357aba7639d5b3961b8b.jpegSelection_364.jpeg.995969258c360a34e9d488aaa5a577bd.jpeg

Edited by my66s55

The rear fenders were one of the few parts that were one layer and are easier to fix. You just high light it and create it 3d by extending the surface inward.

5a3431dd92983_Delahaye_135_M_Convertible_Figoni_and_Falaschi_1937backfendershighlighted.png.416a24b0069e8c89b83a82f1eff12219.png

The result is this:

Selection_239.jpeg.e07f0aa543775c517db0ae972e4bf248.jpeg 

In the case of an already file that is 3d, you have to high light the inner face and make the part thicker:

5a343421b3ce7_Delahaye_135_M_Convertible_Figoni_and_Falaschi_1937bodybackC.png.20236ddc224d03001e08e43ecd6f480e.png

Other things to keep in mind is that none convertible is like an early promo. No interior or frame.The files I want are:  1935 Auburn Boat Tail Speedster

Bugatti 57sc Atlantic

1964 Buick Skylark convertible

1938 Buick Yjob

1953 Cadillac Eldorado convertible   

1940 LaSalle convertible coupe

1955 & 57 Lincolns

1956 Lincoln Continental

1939 Olds convertible coupe 

1938 Talbot Lago Teardrop coup

1957 & 1959 DeSotos            

So would it be safe to assume the files are based on high quality laser scans? That would explain the exterior surfaces only aspect of the model.

How good was the import file? Surface gaps and multi layered surfaces?

Is the import a single file and you break it into multiple components to print?

What cad are you using?

Thanks.

Carmak

On 12/15/2017 at 7:17 AM, Erik Smith said:

Shapeways sent me the link to this place 

Hum3d

Kind of fun to scroll through...not sure what you could do with these, maybe order that obscure car kit from your oddball wishlist?...

(this one’s for Steve Guthmiller ;) )

Yeah....probably not. :D

But I would be all over the Olds wagon, even though I'm not really a wagon guy.

I think this is the wave of the future guys.

I'm betting that it won't be long before the prices on this stuff comes way down & the quality goes way up.

Before you know it, some enterprising soul will be pumping out this stuff for about the same price as a modern kit.

I honestly think that we're looking at the beginnings of the future of modeling.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 12:56 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think this is the wave of the future guys.

Before you know it, some enterprising soul will be pumping out this stuff for about the same price as a modern kit.

I honestly think that we're looking at the beginnings of the future of modeling.

Steve

I believe that too!

Wow.  Neat stuff that I have absolutely NO IDEA what to do with.  I want my kits in a box ready to assemble.  BUT, I would love to have these cars in my Forza M7 game.  LOL.   75 Buick LeSabre?  Oh yeah.   That would be cool to have in plastic or game.  

There is some good looking scans, but also those who are off by a mile.

I was looking for a late '60s Opel Rekord just like my dad had while I was growing up, he didn't have the coupe, but a Caravan (stationwagon) like an uncle once had (these Opel's were very popular) ...

But anyway....he drew it as a 2dr. but the length of the door is far too short, it's more like a 4dr. with the RR door blanked out, also the shape  of the taillites is off, and the '72 model he has is a joke...

Edited by Luc Janssens