Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 57 Chevy Pepper Shaker - Newest reissue

pharoah

I love the smell of styrene in the morning. Just got the latest AMT 57 Chevy - Pepper Shaker. This kit will be very familiar to those of you who have built the original 60's  version ,and the many reissues after that.

The decals have been upgraded,and there are 2 sprues of clear parts, one that is tinted a light green. It has AMT's wide whitewalls and a set of hollow Good year printed slicks. Molded in white,with lots of chrome parts. The instructions are pretty much the same,but the paper seems really thin.

57_3.jpg

57_1.jpg

57_2.jpg

In all honesty. I don't have a single 1957 Chev in the stash of any kind. Or a 56 . And the only 55 I have is a Nomad to build the Paul Blevins car  and 1 of the Badman re-issues ( already done ) Otherwise I have zero interest to build one

I may pick up one someday to do the Hollywood Knights / PHR Project 57 ,,,someday

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Cool!  More pics of the Chrome, please? At least the Decals are good.

OK,this is from an older 'unwrapped' kit with a few parts missing,but it's still the same parts as always. Keystone mags, 2 chrome wheels,etc. Here's a better pic of the glass,too.

57_5.jpg

57_4.jpg

46 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

In all honesty. I don't have a single 1957 Chev in the stash of any kind. Or a 56 . And the only 55 I have is a Nomad to build the Paul Blevins car  and 1 of the Badman re-issues ( already done ) Otherwise I have zero interest to build one

I may pick up one someday to do the Hollywood Knights / PHR Project 57 ,,,someday

That car was a post sedan IIRC, not a hardtop. 

Edited by Snake45

An old classic. IMO still the best '57 Chevy kit out there. The trouble is, I don't need another one. Besides having at least one build up from a previous release. And maybe anther one sitting unbuilt. I have three other unbuilt '57 Chevys (not counting Corvettes) waiting in the wings. The other AMT '57 with the opening trunk. The Revell Convertible and 150 Sedan. And or course I have a built up Revell snap kit besides. So, despite my fondest of this kit, I think I'll be passing on this one for now. 

I don't for see buying the reissue only because I have several in the stash now. This is a very nice kit with only one exception in my mind. The body side moldings are just wrong. The kit's moldings go straight across the door and it should start to drop a little before it meets the cove on the rear fender. This puts the fender cove just a little to far up the body side also. I know most including my self tend to over look this but to someone who owned a '57 Two Ten Hardtop years ago it just hits me as wrong. I have to agree if you're looking for a more accurate '57 the AMT Bel Air with the open trunk would make a much better choice.

1 hour ago, espo said:

This is a very nice kit with only one exception in my mind. The body side moldings are just wrong. The kit's moldings go straight across the door and it should start to drop a little before it meets the cove on the rear fender. This puts the fender cove just a little to far up the body side also. 

Funny you should mention that. I'd never noticed it before, but last night when I posted the pics of my '57 above, I thought, "Man, something doesn't look right about that side trim." Thanks for outlining exactly what the problem is. 

The side trim on the old MPC flip-front '57 is wrong, too, which has kept me from building it all these years until I can figger out how to fix it. I've considered grafting on the rear fender sides from a Revell '57 kit (the old one), which I understand is pretty much unbuildable. 

Edited by Snake45