Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 57 Chevy Pepper Shaker - Newest reissue

pharoah

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Funny you should mention that. I'd never noticed it before, but last night when I posted the pics of my '57 above, I thought, "Man, something doesn't look right about that side trim." Thanks for outlining exactly what the problem is. 

The side trim's wrong on the old MPC flip-front '57 is wrong, too, which has kept me from building it all these years until I can figger out how to fix it. I've considered grafting on the rear fender sides from a Revell '57 kit (the old one), which I understand is pretty much unbuildable. 

I have all three of the old H-series Tri-Five Bel Air kits in various states of progress. Contrary to the bandwagon critics, they aren't as bad as some say. The '57, like the '55 and '56, has its issues with fit and chassis details. Nothing a little patience won't take care of, though. I added a lot of details to the chassis using an AMT '55 Bel Air as reference. It was only afterward that I realized I could, with a few tweaks, slam the AMT chassis under the Revell bodies. Coulda saved a whole lotta work. Oh well, live and learn. The '55 has a fully operational rear suspension. I scratchbuilt the leaf springs, mounts and shackles from scrap 2 mm wide PE frames and it also has functioning coil over shocks.

1 hour ago, espo said:

I don't for see buying the reissue only because I have several in the stash now. This is a very nice kit with only one exception in my mind. The body side moldings are just wrong. The kit's moldings go straight across the door and it should start to drop a little before it meets the cove on the rear fender. This puts the fender cove just a little to far up the body side also. I know most including my self tend to over look this but to someone who owned a '57 Two Ten Hardtop years ago it just hits me as wrong. I have to agree if you're looking for a more accurate '57 the AMT Bel Air with the open trunk would make a much better choice.

It's a pretty good kit otherwise. i built a few when I was a kid. Also the hood trim piece  is molded as one piece with the grille assembly, not separate like it should be attached to the hood. But I did like the 57 Buick grille insert which was a common custom trick in my home town to do.

14 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I have all three of the old H-series Tri-Five Bel Air kits in various states of progress. Contrary to the bandwagon critics, they aren't as bad as some say. The '57, like the '55 and '56, has its issues with fit and chassis details. Nothing a little patience won't take care of, though. I added a lot of details to the chassis using an AMT '55 Bel Air as reference. It was only afterward that I realized I could, with a few tweaks, slam the AMT chassis under the Revell bodies. Coulda saved a whole lotta work. Oh well, live and learn. The '55 has a fully operational rear suspension. I scratchbuilt the leaf springs, mounts and shackles from scrap 2 mm wide PE frames and it also has functioning coil over shocks.

I didn't have any problems fitting the Revell '57 together.  Some things will look "off" (positioning of interior side panels on the chassis) but resist the urge to re-engineer everything, and it will be fine.  The one pictured is built from the second most recent issue, the post-HOT ROD Magazine custom-only issue.  To get back to stock, I swapped wheels, tires, and some other parts with old AMT, newer AMT, and newer Revell '57 kits.  I chose that issue because it was molded in white (the Ed Roth issue wasn't available when I started on this one).  There are other issues with these kits, but anyone who is into these cars should tackle one of the old Revell kits just to be able to say they did.

Back to the AMT kit: I picked one up today, and looked for one minor thing first.  The stock "script" 283 valve covers have no sink marks within the script area.  I used two of those valve covers on the Revell build pictured, had to paw through several kits to find two really nice ones.

Revell 57 Chev 2.jpg

20 minutes ago, Mark said:

There are other issues with these kits, but anyone who is into these cars should tackle one of the old Revell kits just to be able to say they did.

I built the '56 in high school and didn't have any insurmountable problems with it. In the '80s or '90s I wanted to do another one, and bought a reissue (Hot Rod box). The body was warped so badly the glass wouldn't come close to fitting. So I bought another one, same thing. Have heard the same thing from many others. Some time ago I found a glue bomb '56 with a straight body that I thought would make a good basis for a build, with parts from the two "new" ones. And then Revell came out with the beautiful Del Ray post coupe, rendering the whole project moot. So that's the deal with me and the Revell '56. 

As to the Revell '57, our own Tim Boyd build all four (AMT, MPC, Revell, Monogram) kits in SAE back in the '80s and IIRC the Revell came in dead last for buildability/ease of assembly. That pretty much cured me of any desire to build THAT one. 

I do really like the more recent Revell snapper. I've had one ready for paint for well over a year now. I REALLY should dig that thing up and drag it across the finish line. 

4 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The one problem common to the Revell chassis is that the frame is offset to the right of center of the body pan and transmission hump,  making the right rear wheel well narrower than the left side. That creates problems when trying to use some tires.

I knew there was a problem with the '55, but not the '57.  I've only got that one '57 built so far, and it's stock.  But a couple others are planned, so that problem is likely to crop up.

As for the '55, the one I have in the works is the box-art drag version.  Cutting the quarter panels made that one work.  That narrow rear wheel tub on the '55 is what probably kept Revell from converting that kit over to those cheap-o two-piece tires like they did the '56 and '57 kits.

I have that Hot Rod '55 Custom Chevy Sedan, The Skip's Fiesta release and the '73 released H-1374. The Skip's version is the one presently in construction. I noticed issues with the fit (gaps) of the doors and hood. I found that the parts from the Hot Rod version fit much better and, conversely, the Skip's parts fit better with the HR kit. Go figure. Getting back to '57s, I prefer the Pro Shop release over the Pepper Shaker. 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Some time ago I found a glue bomb '56 with a straight body that I thought would make a good basis for a build, with parts from the two "new" ones. And then Revell came out with the beautiful Del Ray post coupe, rendering the whole project moot. So that's the deal with me and the Revell '56. 

I do really like the more recent Revell snapper. I've had one ready for paint for well over a year now. I REALLY should dig that thing up and drag it across the finish line. 

The later issues of the '56 are unbuildable.  But piece one together if you can...just use the 150 or Bel Air side trim.  I'm not sure what interior trim is depicted in that kit. 

Or, locate the custom parts from one of the early issues.

The Revell snap '57 is really nice.  I've got a stock one in the display case, bought a custom to pillage the wheels from (but will replace them with something "earlier").  I needed another AMT '57 like a hole in the head.  But I picked one up anyway... 

14 hours ago, Mark said:

The later issues of the '56 are unbuildable.  But piece one together if you can...just use the 150 or Bel Air side trim.  I'm not sure what interior trim is depicted in that kit. 

What's wrong with the 210 trim? That's the best looking IMHO. 

I built Revell's '56 Chevy when I was a kid in the '60's, it was probably the first release and as I recall it seemed pretty easily built.  I had their '55 and built it as a gasser with the wheel wells hogged out like the cover photo, painted it metallic burgundy with the chrome reversed wheels all around. I don't remember how ell that went together though.

I always shied away from Revell's 1957 Chevy however because IMHO, I feel that the front AND rear bumpers were oversized and seemed somewhat out of scale.

AMT's "57 I built as a custom "back in the day" and got  3rd place trophy (probably kid's class) at a Woolworth's Model Car Contest !  My big sister helped me spray paint it and there was black overspray everywhere ! :wacko: I remember leaving everything but the body in unpainted white styrene and using the felt sticky backed paper included in the kit for the interior !

Lot's of memories in those AMT/Round 2  1957 Chevy boxes ...

30 minutes ago, High octane said:

With redlines?

Yup. It's meant to be a "period piece," a high school hot rod of the late '60s-early '70s. The story line is that a kid inherited a nice, clean, garage-kept but high mileage '57 from his grandparents, and then swapped in the engine, tranny, and wheels from a wrecked '68 or '69 Chevelle, Nova, or Camaro. I think the Rally wheels are from the AMT '69 Chevelle and the front tires are a couple of original AMT Firestone Supreme redlines I had left over from back in the day. So, yes, redlines. B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Yup. It's meant to be a "period piece," a high school hot rod of the late '60s-early '70s. The story line is that a kid inherited a nice, clean, garage-kept but high mileage '57 from his grandparents, and then swapped in the engine, tranny, and wheels from a wrecked '68 or '69 Chevelle, Nova, or Camaro. I think the Rally wheels are from the AMT '69 Chevelle and the front tires are a couple of original AMT Firestone Supreme redlines I had left over from back in the day. So, yes, redlines. B)

Yup....this kit is perfect for a period piece mild custom/street rod/street machine/whatever;  just pick you era and what you would do with a '57 if you owned one back then.

I was given a list of kits by Round2 that required box-art builds a few years ago , asking which ones I would be most interested in.  This one was at the top of my list.  It may not be the most accurate, up to date replica of a '57 Chev, and we all know the tooling is long in the tooth, but it's just one of those kits I have fun working on.

My own period piece is a first-issue Pepper Shaker built as I would have done myself in the late '60's had I owned a real one...dual-quad small block (Corvette?), traction bars, Cragars on wide tires, an aftermarket steering wheel, and buckets/console lifted from a '69 Chevelle.  This kit has been built/rebuilt several times in different configurations, hence the aluminum BMF substituting for the decalized Bel Air side trim.

I can picture this thing running Snake's on some deserted backroad.               

75 box art.JPG

57 pepper shaker.JPG

57 pepper shaker (2).JPG

33 minutes ago, pack rat said:

My own period piece is a first-issue Pepper Shaker built as I would have done myself in the late '60's had I owned a real one...dual-quad small block (Corvette?), traction bars, Cragars on wide tires, an aftermarket steering wheel, and buckets/console lifted from a '69 Chevelle.  This kit has been built/rebuilt several times in different configurations, hence the aluminum BMF substituting for the decalized Bel Air side trim.

I can picture this thing running Snake's on some deserted backroad.               

57 pepper shaker.JPG

57 pepper shaker (2).JPG

Wow, that looks great. Started on one of these about a year ago, but like most of my builds these days it's stalled. Brought it up because it also has the buckets and console from a '69 Chevelle in it! :D

The Pepper shaker kit is almost the same as the Monogram 1/24 57 chevy, except in 1/25 scale. Compared these different copies of the 57 kit's  Monogram Vs Pepper shaker Vs Pro shop copy (yellow car on box) Vs Revell' Convertible and sedan.

DSC02326.JPG

DSC02327.JPG

DSC02328.JPG

DSC02329.JPG

DSC02330.JPG

DSC02331.JPG

DSC02332.JPG

DSC02333.JPG

DSC02334.JPG

DSC02335.JPG

Edited by ranma

2 hours ago, ranma said:

The Pepper shaker kit is almost the same as the Monogram 1/24 57 chevy, except in 1/25 scale. Compared these different copies of the 57 kit's  Monogram Vs Pepper shaker Vs Pro shop copy (yellow car on box) Vs Revell' Convertible and sedan.

DSC02326.JPG

DSC02327.JPG

DSC02328.JPG

DSC02329.JPG

DSC02330.JPG

DSC02331.JPG

DSC02332.JPG

DSC02333.JPG

DSC02334.JPG

DSC02335.JPG

The Monogram '57 is very similar to AMT's in parts breakdown.  Those were among Monogram's late-Seventies re-entry into "normal" car kits after doing only drag cars and Tom Daniel stuff for several years.  It seems like they were trying to come up with a new alternative to AMT's '57, with newer optional parts (and a companion Nomad kit).  But they slipped up by sticking with 1/24 scale, and did a face-plant with the proportions of the bodies in their kits.  Had they gotten them right, they'd have sold a lot more of them (though they did pretty well anyway).

4 hours ago, Mark said:

The Monogram '57 is very similar to AMT's in parts breakdown.  Those were among Monogram's late-Seventies re-entry into "normal" car kits after doing only drag cars and Tom Daniel stuff for several years.  It seems like they were trying to come up with a new alternative to AMT's '57, with newer optional parts (and a companion Nomad kit).  But they slipped up by sticking with 1/24 scale, and did a face-plant with the proportions of the bodies in their kits.  Had they gotten them right, they'd have sold a lot more of them (though they did pretty well anyway).

The Monogram 56-57 Chevys are a hot mess.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:48 AM, espo said:

I don't for see buying the reissue only because I have several in the stash now. This is a very nice kit with only one exception in my mind. The body side moldings are just wrong. The kit's moldings go straight across the door and it should start to drop a little before it meets the cove on the rear fender. This puts the fender cove just a little to far up the body side also. I know most including my self tend to over look this but to someone who owned a '57 Two Ten Hardtop years ago it just hits me as wrong. I have to agree if you're looking for a more accurate '57 the AMT Bel Air with the open trunk would make a much better choice.

I know what you mean about not being able to overlook something because you are familiar with the subject. I love 57 Fords and the Revell offerings just are horrible all around, but so many love the kit, they will never really fix it.

I never noticed that issue on the Chevy trim, Now it stands out like a sore thumb... 

Edited by Sledsel

19 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I know what you mean about not being able to overlook something because you are familiar with the subject. I love 57 Fords and the Revell offerings just are horrible all around, but so many love the kit, they will never really fix it.

I never noticed that issue on the Chevy trim, Now it stands out like a sore thumb... 

You mentioned the Revell '57 Ford kit and I noticed a few issues with shallow detailing around the rear window. The biggest issue I had was the front wheel wells on the two door. The area for the front tires seems very limited and putting even a 70 or 60 series tire in there is hard let alone a really wide tire. This seems to have been corrected some what on the Wagon. If you notice Revell has changed the inner wheel well on the Wagon issue. I don't think it is 100% correct but it is much better than the Wagon. The issues I have built with wider low profile tires and wheels I still have to reshape the inner wheel well to get the needed clearance. Other than that I really like that kit and accept it's short comings just to have it.    

14 hours ago, espo said:

You mentioned the Revell '57 Ford kit and I noticed a few issues with shallow detailing around the rear window. The biggest issue I had was the front wheel wells on the two door. The area for the front tires seems very limited and putting even a 70 or 60 series tire in there is hard let alone a really wide tire. This seems to have been corrected some what on the Wagon. If you notice Revell has changed the inner wheel well on the Wagon issue. I don't think it is 100% correct but it is much better than the Wagon. The issues I have built with wider low profile tires and wheels I still have to reshape the inner wheel well to get the needed clearance. Other than that I really like that kit and accept it's short comings just to have it.    

There is much more than that, but I am not getting into it..... You can see some of the mods I had to do to get the 57 better here: