Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 57 Chevy Pepper Shaker - Newest reissue

pharoah

I remember this build and I used your idea on my '57 Ford build to correct the same problem. I never got to thank you then so let me thank you now for the guidance to correct the inner fender problem.  Now back to the Salt Shaker.  

On 12/17/2017 at 11:13 AM, ranma said:

IMHO the AMT/ERTL Pro Shop (yellow car on box) Is one of the nicest 57 Chevy kit's to be made. Beware there are 2 different Pro shop 57 Chevrolet's , The very detailed kits and the pre -painted (pepper shaker) one.

57k.jpg

dEbay 57 Proshop chevy.htm

57 proshop.jpg

I always wondered why they never reissued that kit. They made a stock version and a street version. It won kit of the year (I can't recall in which publication) when it was released. I always thought it was the best '57 kit made.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:13 AM, ranma said:

IMHO the AMT/ERTL Pro Shop (yellow car on box) Is one of the nicest 57 Chevy kit's to be made...

20 minutes ago, avidinha said:

I always wondered why they never reissued that kit. They made a stock version and a street version. It won kit of the year (I can't recall in which publication) when it was released. I always thought it was the best '57 kit made.

Round 2 did reissue the factory stock version just within the last year or two, including the photo etch parts, I believe.

AMT983-2.jpg

Not sure if the Street Machine version was ever reissued.

Edited by Robberbaron

9 hours ago, avidinha said:

The stock version was also issued in a tin by Round 2.

Build this 57 for Nostalgic purposes guys because you built it as a kid. Personally, I like Monogram's 57 1:24 the best because I built a shelf full of them when I was a kid. I still build them now even though it is way wrong proportionally. The bonus glass is cool to me because it's for Gasser style builds, which is the way I'd build the car anyway.  Don't worry about the proortions being wrong it still builds up nice and has lots of potential. I seen one at a contest that took best in show back in 93 even if it's wrong it still gets the point across. Anyway, the decals and the whitewall slicks are enough for me to buy it. I appreciate Round 2 for bringing back these old kits and making them new agian. 

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Build this 57 for Nostalgic purposes guys because you built it as a kid. Personally, I like Monogram's 57 1:24 the best because I built a shelf full of them when I was a kid. I still build them now even though it is way wrong proportionally. The bonus glass is cool to me because it's for Gasser style builds, which is the way I'd build the car anyway.  Don't worry about the proortions being wrong it still builds up nice and has lots of potential. I seen one at a contest that took best in show back in 93 even if it's wrong it still gets the point across. Anyway, the decals and the whitewall slicks are enough for me to buy it. I appreciate Round 2 for bringing back these old kits and making them new agian. 

That's the correct attitude on this kit. Like you I built and enjoyed several of these thru the years. Other than the side trim being a little guffy it is still a great kit and still looks good when built.

On 12/20/2017 at 12:50 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

I'm tempted to get the new Pepper Shaker, since the last one I built in the early '70s didn't have a lot left from the original kit:

57chevy09.jpg.50df78a2f5d2fa3971014f0d23ac1b2f.jpg

junkyard.jpg.8cb0470b16cb13a856dfa99aeb71ce91.jpg

I do have some extra NOS Styline front ends that aren't in the new kit - anyone have the Styline rear end? Let's talk trades...

"Rapid Roy that stock car boy he's too much to believe he's always got extra pack of cigarettes rolled up in his T-shirt sleeve. He got a tattoo on his arm that says Baby! and another one that just says Hey! But every Sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon in a '57 Chevrolet!" 

I'm totally inspired to build this model for myself.... I  love Jim Croche and love Rapid Roy, Can you give me details of the car that you built back in the day? That is an Awesome build! It's a long shot but do you still have it? 

Edited by disconovaman

50 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

"Rapid Roy that stock car boy he's too much to believe he's always got extra pack of cigarettes rolled up in his T-shirt sleeve. He got a tattoo on his arm that says Baby! and another one that just says Hey! But every Sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon in a '57 Chevrolet!" 

I'm totally inspired to build this model for myself.... I  love Jim Croche and love Rapid Roy,  

Let's not forget Foreigner's "Headknocker": He drives a '57 coupe, walks with a stoop, swears James Dean isn't dead; he's a dedicated rocker, a real headknocker, don't look at his lady again....

Or Warren Zevon's "Roll with the Punches": Johnny had a '57 Chevy, four on the floor and a four-twenty-nine*; we used to take it out on Wild Horse Pike, run it out to the end of the line...

*Yeah, I know, but he had to make it rhyme.

Edited by Snake45

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I'm totally inspired to build this model for myself.... I  love Jim Croce and love Rapid Roy, Can you give me details of the car that you built back in the day? That is an Awesome build! It's a long shot but do you still have it? 

It was pretty basic; I just channeled the AMT body over one of the MPC Super Stockers chassis, cut down the rockers, and added window frames (carved from a Revell '53 Chevy) to make it look like a slightly chopped two-door sedan. A few heat-induced crumples, a brush paint job, some gray-brown "weathering" applied with a toothbrush splatter, and that was that.

As to its fate, I traded it and the rest of the junkyard diorama to Tom Beauchamp and Gary Neuhardt for some unbuilt kits. They incorporated much of it into their display for the World of Wheels car show; last I saw in the late seventies, the car was repainted solid red, with "Brame Auto Body"  added to the rear quarters B). Since then...?

No kidding?  That is cool history... I'm gonna build it with printed decals and clean unraced body without damage and  light weathering. I can't quite make out what the lettering says on some of it. Can you tell me what is on the trunk and roof and maybe what other decals/markings on it were?

"Rabid Roy" (a spoof of "Rapid Roy") on the driver's side roof, "Indio Auto Dismantling" on the passenger side roof and front fender, and atop the trunk (Indio is a small town in the CA desert east of Palm Springs), "427 C.I." twice on the hood along with "09", "Racer in Toe" on the vertical part of the trunk lid, a Pennzoil decal on each rear quarter, and the old AMT "eagle on slicks peeling out" decals on the quarters as well. Trunk lid is bolted down with plates from one of the AMT Modified Stocker kits (Falcon or Olds I think). Happy Modeling!

On 23/12/2017 at 5:50 PM, disconovaman said:

Here are some of my Monogram 57 projects... when you get passionate for a certain kit it's hard to stop building them, for me anyway... I know there are far better kits out there and I build them too. But I still love the first one I ever built...

20171223_123544.jpg

Great collection Anthony. Never warmed to the Monogram issue but they all look real nice.

6 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

Great collection Anthony. Never warmed to the Monogram issue but they all look real nice.

Thanks bud, Yeah I know there is all kinds of stuff wrong with the Monogram car but like the Amt car it builds up great. I don't get too wrapped up in the flaws just build the darn thing and be happy. Our club is proposing a build challenge. "Do your best with what you have to work with" theme. I think mine will be that Mpc 69 Camaro convertible... yuk! I can make it nice I think... 

7 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Our club is proposing a build challenge. "Do your best with what you have to work with" theme. I think mine will be that Mpc 69 Camaro convertible... yuk! I can make it nice I think... 

The MPC '69 Camaro would rate very highly on my "Worst Model Car Kits of All Time" list. And I've earned the right to say that; I've built five of the wretched backbirths. 

A guy in Model Airplane World just finished one of these, and posted lots of build pics. He's an airplane guy, not a car guy, but the thread might be interesting to you: 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/232723/thread/1514489390/last-1514538200/(View+All+Messages+In+This+Thread)

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Thanks Snake45 It's interesting to see that much love thrown at one terrible kit..  It's nicely built.  Do you have ideas for other kits that fit the "Do your best" challenge? 

Monogram 1/24 '69 Camaro, Monogram '66 Chevelle, AMT (ex-MPC) '57 Corvette flip-front "gasser." Maybe the AMT '72 Nova. These kits are all IMHO unusually difficult to build and have come out looking halfway decent. 

AMT '62 Corvette isn't difficult to build, but its too-small headlights take it off my "good" or "serious model" kit list. 

Maybe one of the first-gen AMT funny cars? ('66 Mustang, '67 Comet, '65 Nova, etc.) 

How about the first-issue Monogram 1/24 '70 AAR Cuda? The roof is so horrendously misshaped that IMHO it's a complete waste of time to try to make a serious replica out of it. BUT what about whacking off the hideous roof and do it as a convert? 

Oh, the AMT/MPC '69 Firebird is pretty bad, too. Not quite as bad as the Camaro, but still pretty bad. 

Edited by Snake45

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The MPC '69 Camaro would rate very highly on my "Worst Model Car Kits of All Time" list. And I've earned the right to say that; I've built five of the wretched backbirths. 

A guy in Model Airplane World just finished one of these, and posted lots of build pics. He's an airplane guy, not a car guy, but the thread might be interesting to you: 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/232723/thread/1514489390/last-1514538200/(View+All+Messages+In+This+Thread)

Just looked at the above thread: Yikes! I might have to agree with your assessment on that MPC Camaro.  The poster sure gave his best effort, but as he said: lipstick on a pig.

Between the narrow body, incorrect wheel wells, taillights, and bumpers, that thing actually seems a little Palmer-ish.  Makes the old Monogram 1/24 '69 Camaro seem elegant...