Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 57 Chevy Pepper Shaker - Newest reissue

pharoah

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Between the narrow body, incorrect wheel wells, taillights, and bumpers, that thing actually seems a little Palmer-ish.  Makes the old Monogram 1/24 '69 Camaro seem elegant...

Exactly! And before Revell's 69 Camaro came along the Monogram 69 was my Go to 69 I built a many... Rampage, High Roller and all the rest. Even though I don't build them anymore I still appeciate their effort. Not to steer the thread down another road but I'd love to see Round 2 re-issue the Rockin-Roller 57 with the flip front. I liked that kit. with tinted glass and new decals that would be cool.

• 9 months later...

A qwik question about engine parts in the reissued '57 "Pepper  Shaker" Chevy kit;

There's an unusual blower set-up for the 409 engine in this kit. That blower set-up sits low on the intake manifold, and has 4 carbs that attach to the blower, two on each side sticking out horizontally.  Can anyone educate me as to what this represents from the 1:1 world?  

23 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

A qwik question about engine parts in the reissued '57 "Pepper  Shaker" Chevy kit;

There's an unusual blower set-up for the 409 engine in this kit. That blower set-up sits low on the intake manifold, and has 4 carbs that attach to the blower, two on each side sticking out horizontally.  Can anyone educate me as to what this represents from the 1:1 world?  

I think it would be for under hood clearance and Performance , total sleeper !

3 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

They are Carter side draft carburetors, like used on the '53-'54 Corvette "Blue Flame" in line 6 cylinder. 

No doubt the set up is to allow multiple carburetors while fitting under the hood.

5 hours ago, Deuces said:

I believe the supercharger is one of the Lathom types with the side draft carbs... They come in other AMT '57 Chevy kits... I have a few of those...

No, it's not a Latham style supercharger, which has the air inlet and outlet located at the extreme ends of the supercharger. 

It is a smaller Roots-style blower, but the manufacturer is not specified in the kit/instructions:

AMT57CBEH2.jpg

My first thought was that it represents a 1:1 Latham supercharger, but if that's what it's supposed to be, than the representation isn't very good. I seem to remember another type of late-1950's/early-1960's supercharger that looks more like these kit pieces but I can't remember the name/brand.

30 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

My first thought was that it represents a 1:1 Latham supercharger, but if that's what it's supposed to be, than the representation isn't very good. I seem to remember another type of late-1950's/early-1960's supercharger that looks more like these kit pieces but I can't remember the name/brand.

It looks (sort of) like a vintage SCoT supercharger as used on flathead Fords back in the day

I was thinking of building a 1960 Corvette Gasser using this Roots-style blower set-up on top of a 283 V-8 to make it somewhat unique. Anybody know if the Roots-style blowers were used in mid-1960's gassers very often, and if they had been used, were they very effective? (increase in horsepower/torque)?

The other thing that I'll have to figure out is if it'd fit inside that narrow Corvette engine compartment!

SCoT Supercharger 1600x991 - SCoT Supercharger

S.Co.T. / Italmeccanica Superchargers

SCoT Superchargers were a favourite of the salt lake racers of the ’50s and ’60s, they could be easily fitted to a flathead V8 for a significant boost in power. SCoT stands for Superchargers of Turin, the kits provided by the company saw widespread use in motorsport applications in North America, Europe and further afield in New Zealand and Australia.

Of course anything that makes a car faster is going to be popular with those seeking to make their road cars faster too, and the majority of kits built by SCoT are thought to have been fitted to road cars. The supercharger you see here is an all-original model.

This is the closest thing I could via Google, a Mickey Thompson setup:

s-l500.jpg

The AMT '57 kit's carb manifold appears to have a cover on it, though, so maybe it's a Cragar product, as I want to say the chain drive setup was made by Cragar.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

No, it's not a Latham style supercharger, which has the air inlet and outlet located at the extreme ends of the supercharger. 

It is a smaller Roots-style blower, but the manufacturer is not specified in the kit/instructions:

AMT57CBEH2.jpg

Your right!!!! Sorry.... ?

On 10/14/2018 at 10:09 AM, Casey said:

AMT57CBEH2.jpg

On another note... I still have one of those engine stands that's not assembled..... I was thinking about tracing those parts out on a sheet of .020" or .025" thick styrene and cut a bunch out for assembly.... Should be easy to do.... 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, 59 Buick said:

It is a shame that the styline parts didn’t resurface in their entirety. Nice the see the old kit is back.

742C1C37-C905-4308-8683-0262BF5C091F.jpeg

I think in some of the early Round 2 runs they sort of did. But they cut the parts off of the sprues before packaging. Note the quad headlight unit left of center they missed. Later runs have everything welded back off.

The bottom photos are an AMT/Ertl issue with a short shot of the rear Styline piece, and a Round 2 Pepper Shaker tree showing the opened, but trimmed gates.

20190924_215752.jpg

20190924_215845.jpg

IMG_9202-vi.jpg

20190924_215106.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

• 4 weeks later...