Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad ALC101 over Tamiya fine white primer

Hi Guys,

I recently laid down some Alclad ALC101 aluminium over Tamiya fine white primer on a spoon. The Alclad attacked the primer and wrinkled up giving a rough finish, however the colour was exactly what I was after.

I had another spoon which had Tamiya fine white primer and on top of that, a coat of shiny black nail polish. The Alclad did not attack the black nail polish, and gave an almost mirror finish that was a bit darker (more like steel colour)

I believe using white nail polish (or any white lacquer maybe) as a base coat, will come out great.

Has anyone had trouble with ALC101 attacking the Tamiya fine white primer before?

As an upside, I think I may only need to buy ALC101 to achieve both aluminium and steel looks now, just depending on the base coat used.

Mike

It works fine over Tamiya's Fine Gray primer. I don't know why the white would be different. I like Alclads own gray primer under their paints. It goes on shiny and seals well. Also are sure the spoon was not crazed? I found the spoons very sensitive to crazing

Edited by 935k3

Alclad is meant to be sprayed over gloss paint, so if you want/need to prime a model first, you must do the following:

1. Prime with lacquer-based primer.
2. Spay with gloss lacquer paint.
3. Wait about 1 week. (Maybe less. Your mileage may vary.)
4. Spray with Alclad.

Enamel paints could be substituted for lacquer (both primer & color coat must be the same).

The smoother your color coat (black or otherwise) the better the Alclad will look.

You can use any color you want underneath, and yes, it will change the way it looks. Personally, I like black underneath any of the Alclad metals except Magnesium. At any rate, my real point was that the paint under the Alclad needs to be glossy. Alclad directly on Tamiya primer will not give the best look. (I do agree with 935K3 that I have no idea why the Alclad would attack the Tamiya primer.)

Hi,

I have some ALC101 and Tamiya white primer and as a test sprayed a piece of Evergreen.

Things turned out well, no weirdness.

However I've had similar issues were something underneath the primer caused the top coat to react.

I dare to say that this could have happened to you.  The Tamiya primers are not sealers and it's feasible that a chemical reaction could have take place between what was above and below the primer.

A fantastic site regarding Alclad;

http://www.austinsms.org/Alclad-Lacquer-Metal-Finishes.php

Edited by aurfalien

17 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

At any rate, my real point was that the paint under the Alclad needs to be glossy. Alclad directly on Tamiya primer will not give the best look. (I do agree with 935K3 that I have no idea why the Alclad would attack the Tamiya primer.)

Not under every Alclad II paint - only under the the ones which give you polished metal finish (like Chrome).

Most Alclad II paints can be applied to a surface with any type of finish and they will produce a metallic look with the texture of the underlying paint.  Sometimes a rough surface is desired (like an aluminum transmission casting, or aluminum intake manifold for example).  You can even apply the Alcald II paints which are designed to be applied over glossy undercoat to a satin or flat surface and whey will still give you metallic color, but without the polished look.