Model Cars Magazine Forum

10 Years of Cannonball Run CBP

Lunajammer

10-years ago, Jantrix (Rob Mattis) started the community build project that invites racers to build cars for a cross country race that pays homage to Brock Yates' Cannonball-Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash and welcomes the creativity of the Cannonball Run movies. It's followed by a poll which represents "the race" with forum voters determining who wins. It started on the Scale Auto forum, but when that site no longer supported the needs of this CBP, it found a welcoming home here at MCM forum. 

Before we end 2017, I'm posting photos of all the finishers from all years. I was able to salvage most photos, but due to the sands of time and the infernal mooks at Photobucket, I couldn't gather them all. Some archive photos are low resolution. If you see a crappy, pixilated pic of your model, please PM me a nice photo and I'll swap it out.

Cannonball 2018, (sub-theme Inline Engines) will begin soon in the Community section.

001slick001

2v2ur6GmuxfGubg.jpg

wagonmaster

2v2ur6GSzxfGubg.jpg

VWDave92

2v2ur6GVoxfGubg.jpg

2v2ur6Gh2xfGubg.jpg

Jantrix

2v2ur6GgUxfGubg.jpg

Zenrat (WINNER)

2v2ur6GLvxfGubg.jpg

crazyhorse

2v2ur6GW9xfGubg.jpg

classic plastic

2v2ur6GnJxfGubg.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

___2011 (sub-theme Pre 1983)____

001Slick001

2v2ur6rMnxfGubg.jpg

ace-motorsport

2v2ur6jvLxfGubg.jpg

alex bman33

2v2ur6jEqxfGubg.jpg

ARC

2v2ur6jZLxfGubg.jpg

BKcustoms

2v2ur6jKGxfGubg.jpg

hvymtl74

2v2ur6jBgxfGubg.jpg

crazyhorse

2v2ur6jcFxfGubg.jpg

Jantrix

2v2ur6j7qxfGubg.jpg

jonnogtv (WINNER)

2v2ur6jmnxfGubg.png

Lunajammer

2v2ur6jVdxfGubg.jpg

MLMDesign

2v2ur6jWGxfGubg.jpg

Slantasaurus

2v2ur6jFdxfGubg.jpg

TFchronos

2v2ur6jjnxfGubg.jpg

Zenrat

2v2ur6jzdxfGubg.jpg

2v2ur68vrxfGubg.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

____2013 (sub-theme Open Build)_____

001slick001

2v2urt2zyxfGubg.jpg

64ss350

2v2urt3o5xfGubg.jpg

103 0977

2v2urt32NxfGubg.jpg

2v2urt3vjxfGubg.jpg

chevycoupe41

2v2urt3U8xfGubg.jpg

Clay

2v2urt3JdxfGubg.jpg

Dominik

2v2urt3erxfGubg.jpg

driftingrookie

2v2urt3bMxfGubg.jpg

janthlie

2v2urt3KzxfGubg.jpg

jm485

2v2urt3pyxfGubg.jpg

JordanWhite

2v2urt3c5xfGubg.jpg

kekefe

2v2urt3frxfGubg.jpg

Knarf

2v2urt3AjxfGubg.jpg

Kurtisebear

2v2urt36MxfGubg.jpg

madhorseman

2v2urt3tzxfGubg.jpg

maltsr

2v2urt3YoxfGubg.jpg

MLMDesign

2v2urt37yxfGubg.jpg

Nick Winter

2v2urt3i8xfGubg.jpg

roadrunner1979 (WINNER)

2v2urt34zxfGubg.jpg

slantasaurus

2v2urt3moxfGubg.jpg

TFChronos

2v2urt3S5xfGubg.jpg

2v2urt3VNxfGubg.jpg

Zenrat

2v2urt3L8xfGubg.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

___2015 (sub-theme "Sleeperball")_____

001slick001

2v2urt918xfGubg.jpg

64ss350

2v2urt9pMxfGubg.jpg

Bill 67

2v2urt9fyxfGubg.jpg

Christian-W

2v2urt96rxfGubg.jpg

chunkypeanutbutter

2v2urt9sdxfGubg.jpg

DeeCee (TIED WINNER)

2v2urt9k5xfGubg.jpg

Dominik

2v2urt9iNxfGubg.jpg

Dragfreak

2v2urt9DrxfGubg.jpg

Foxer

2v2urt94jxfGubg.jpg

Helix

2v2urt9SzxfGubg.jpg

Jantrix

2v2urt9hyxfGubg.jpg

MeatMan

2v2urt9LNxfGubg.jpg

MLMDesign

2v2urt9G8xfGubg.jpg

Pat Minarick

2v2urt9nMxfGubg.jpg

Pim

2v2urt9qzxfGubg.jpg

Rotorbolt73

2v2urt9d2xfGubg.jpg

TFchronos (TIED WINNER)

2v2urt9rjxfGubg.jpg

vekasiini

2v2urt9MzxfGubg.jpg

Wrecker388

2v2urt9zoxfGubg.jpg

Zenrat

2v2urtuo2xfGubg.jpg

belugawrx

2v2urtuqyxfGubg.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

17 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

10-years ago, Jantrix (Rob Mattis) started the community build project that invites racers to build cars for a cross country race that pays homage to Brock Yates' Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash and welcomes the creativity of the Cannonball Run movies. It's followed by a poll which represents "the race" with forum voters determining who wins. It started on the Scale Auto forum, but when that site no longer supported the needs of this CBP, it found a welcoming home here at MCM forum. 

Before we end 2017, I'm posting photos of all the finishers from all years. I was able to salvage most photos, but due to the sands of time and the infernal mooks at Photobucket, I couldn't gather them all. Some archive photos are low resolution. If you see a crappy, pixilated pic of your model, please PM me a nice photo and I'll swap it out.

Cannonball 2018, (sub-theme Inline Engines) will begin soon in the Community section.

Ok, I'm going to be the cranky old guy here and point something out.  It would be a good thing to know the actual history of the 1:1 event so here it is.  Although Brock Yates and Car and Driver were behind the whole shebang, the true name of the event was The Cannonball Baker Sea to Sea Memorial Trophy Dash.  It was held first in 1971 and had very humble beginnings.  All the movies and other stuff that came after did not do justice to what amounted to a bunch of gear-head anarchists sitting around and  more than likely alcohol was involved, having a discussion about what the best car and best route to drive from New York to California was.  Remember, this was pre GPS days when a good map and some knowledge was king.  For those who are interested, here from the dusty archives it the C&D article of the original run. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-cannonball-baker-sea-to-shining-sea-memorial-trophy-dash-archived-feature.  Incidentally the original race had only 9 participants of which there was a Ferrari Daytona(winner) , MGB-GT, AMC AMX, several vans and a motorhome(last place).

Edited by Pete J.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Definitely nice to seeing such a diverse range of work. Great that you posted for the first ten years.

+1

I'm glad to have been part of last years. Definitely looking forward to be part of it again.

• 3 years later...

I just stumbled across this thread while researching past Cannonball winners.. we're going on 14 years now and what a ride it has been... I'm glad to be part of the CBP history now. I barely missed the 10 year mark, discovering the Community build page some time around 2016.

I'm glad I found it for the 6cyl theme, It inspired me to build one of my favorite creations with the Gulf Gas service truck... and now I'm hooked!? 

Thank you Mike for your dedication, attention to detail, and excellent care here with the Cannonball Community Build Challenge. 

29 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Thank you Mike for your dedication, attention to detail, and excellent care here with the Cannonball Community Build Challenge. 

Ditto. Really enjoyed learning a bit of the CBR history. The standard of the builds over the years is really impressive!

Besides great debate over which type of vehicle / which brand of vehicle would be most likely to win, the early planning and formulation of the event also included considerable brew-driven argument over which ocean was the "shining sea" and which ocean was just the "sea."  Territorial disputes are everywhere!  

??

Edited by Danno