Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just got this from PhotoBucket; all I can say is (censored)

Ace-Garageguy

I've started getting three or four emails a day from them again, trying to sell me junk. 

I'm waiting for an email from them saying they've decided to allow third-party hosting again for some reasonable fee, like $29.95 per year. Until I get that, they're dead to me. 

Last week, I received an offer for the third-party hosting starting at $49.95. In the event that you run out of choice invectives, I have a selection of  maledicta, previously unused here, which you are welcome to use at the reasonable rate of only 29 cents per curse word.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Last week, I received an offer for the third-party hosting starting at $49.95. 

That's better than $399.99 but still about 50% too high. And even at $25-$29 per year, I don't want to see ANY ads, of the kind that made using PB a nightmare so often in its last year of "normal" operation. 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That's better than $399.99 but still about 50% too high. And even at $25-$29 per year, I don't want to see ANY ads, of the kind that made using PB a nightmare so often in its last year of "normal" operation. 

I just subscribed for another year of Fotki for basically $2.00 a month.

No ads, no BS!

Even if PB would clean up their act I wouldn't go back!

Everybody else can "forgive & forget" if they like.

I'm through wasting my time.

Steve

43 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just subscribed for another year of Fotki for basically $2.00 a month.

No ads, no BS!

Even if PB would clean up their act I wouldn't go back!

Everybody else can "forgive & forget" if they like.

I'm through wasting my time.

Steve

I might end up doing that. For the moment, I'm enjoying uploading pics direct to this site. But of course that doesn't help me much when I want to post pics to a model airplane or gun site. 

32 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I might end up doing that. For the moment, I'm enjoying uploading pics direct to this site. But of course that doesn't help me much when I want to post pics to a model airplane or gun site. 

I still use Fotki for posting here, mainly because then I can just use the same procedure for any forum that I may want to post on.

Steve

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've started getting three or four emails a day from them again, trying to sell me junk. 

I'm waiting for an email from them saying they've decided to allow third-party hosting again for some reasonable fee, like $29.95 per year. Until I get that, they're dead to me. 

I'm with You on that Snake.....at least on the "dead to me" part!!

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I feel the same way Snake! I have deleted my account for the reason that they may get their act together...

Happy Holidays!

Starting today, and until January 20,
bg_line.jpg

A super cool Fotki membership sale starting at just $12.88 per year! 
(when you pay for 5-years "Premium 100" plan)

5-years - $12.88 per year ($64.40)
 3-years - $14.00 per year ($42.00)
 2-years - $15.40 per year ($30.80)
 1-year - $16.80 

And we have many other membership options to choose from!

Go and buy Premium Membership Sale! 30% OFF!

Another shout out for Fotki!

I've been using then since 2004, and I've never had a problem except for that time they were moving their servers, and there were more than a few hiccups.

Other than that, I find them very user friendly to post pics (unlike PB), and of course there are no annoying ads to deal with. One change they did make that I think annoyed some folks is that they no longer offer a "free" account. In a sense they do, but for posting pics and such you'd need to upgrade to the premium account.

For $25 bucks a year, that's a great deal and there's no bandwidth limit. ;)

I just joined Fotki with a 5 year plan. Now, I just need to migrate all the pictures and update all my old threads. I don't think I will update my threads on the forums I am no longer active on as it will be enough work to update just the active ones.

35 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

I just joined Fotki with a 5 year plan. Now, I just need to migrate all the pictures and update all my old threads. I don't think I will update my threads on the forums I am no longer active on as it will be enough work to update just the active ones.

I'm not going to worry about updating my old threads, unless someone digs one up and specifically asks about pictures. 

On 12/16/2017 at 10:45 AM, Snake45 said:

They can offer it for $10 a month and I wouldn't go back !  Most of what I had on PB is now on Fotki , then I deleted all of the photos on PB before deleting my account .  And like you I probably won't be updating old posts , but I may take new photos of a few and repost them . 

8 minutes ago, TooOld said:

They can offer it for $10 a month and I wouldn't go back !  Most of what I had on PB is now on Fotki , then I deleted all of the photos on PB before deleting my account .  And like you I probably won't be updating old posts , but I may take new photos of a few and repost them . 

I wouldn't go back for $10 a month either ($120/year). I'd go $30 a year just for the convenience, but not a dime more. 

I got this email for PB last week

Unlock your Photobucket images today with our new plan

Hello ,

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $119.99 / year.

The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.

We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

2 hours ago, Atmobil said:

I think they are getting desparate and are full of BS.

Or maybe they are just ridding themselves of those who have no intention of ever paying to use their hosting services. I suspect they have all the number and data to back up their decisions, so now that those super dependent upon maintaining their image hosting have paid the $399.99, they are going after the less dependent members with a less expensive offer. I bet they will offer a $99.99/year plan in a few weeks, which is probably reasonable for most people. I pay $39.99/year for my account, but it will expire next February, so considering the huge amount of 3rd party hosting I use my account for, I have no problem paying a bit more to continue that service without disruption.