Model Cars Magazine Forum

"My Year In Review" Threads

Looks like the time of year I hate is here, where everyone fills up the Under Glass section with "My Year In Review" threads where they show again everything they've already showed. What I dislike about this is that it pushes interesting NEW builds off the front page far too quickly and good new work goes unseen. 

I won't be posting a "My Year In Review" thread, and I won't be clicking on yours. I already saw and commented on anything of yours I liked. 

Am I alone in this? 

Or maybe there could be just ONE "Post Your 2017 Year In Review Builds Here" thread, and everyone could participate, and leave the rest of the front page of Under Glass alone? 

37 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Bah humbug on you Richard!    :wacko:

Just because you didn't finish anything!  (Me neither!)

Post on folks...

Oh, but I DID finish quite a few things. Some of which I haven't posted yet. 

I should be finishing a few more before the end of the year, because I always take the last week off and do a lot of modeling. 

Come to think of it, I've got at least three that I finished the last week of LAST year and never got around to posting, waiting for all the MYIR threads to die....

I think I've finished only 1 or 2 builds this year, so I won't be taking up much space. :rolleyes:

These "year in review" threads never bothered me.

I guess my thought is, the fewer restrictions to what people want to post the better.

We don't want this forum to end up like so many others have.

Post everything you've got! :P

Steve

21 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think I've finished only 1 or 2 builds this year, so I won't be taking up much space. :rolleyes:

These "year in review" threads never bothered me.

I guess my thought is, the fewer restrictions to what people want to post the better.

We don't want this forum to end up like so many others have.

Post everything you've got! :P

Steve

I agree.  If you don't want to look, fine.  Easy enough to click on page 2, or unread content.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Looks like the time of year I hate is here, where everyone fills up the Under Glass section with "My Year In Review" threads where they show again everything they've already showed. What I dislike about this is that it pushes interesting NEW builds off the front page far too quickly and good new work goes unseen. 

I won't be posting a "My Year In Review" thread, and I won't be clicking on yours. I already saw and commented on anything of yours I liked. 

Am I alone in this? 

Or maybe there could be just ONE "Post Your 2017 Year In Review Builds Here" thread, and everyone could participate, and leave the rest of the front page of Under Glass alone? 

While I agree with you on the "New" builds getting shoved down. I have seen this also and I feel sorry for someone who has put their efforts out there for all of to see and then watches as it slowly sinks too the second or third page. I know that some post builds that they may not have shown threw the year. Your idea of having a separate place to post year end picture seems like a great idea and maybe if there is a practical way to do that the moderators could see their way to get it done.

8 minutes ago, espo said:

Your idea of having a separate place to post year end picture seems like a great idea and maybe if there is a practical way to do that the moderators could see their way to get it done.

Short of creating an entirely different section, it's really not up to the moderators, that's up to us.

But, as you know, things like this can be a little like herding cats around here & I doubt that it would be adhered to.

I'm fine with the idea, but I have little faith that it would work.

Steve

15 minutes ago, espo said:

if there is a practical way to do that the moderators could see their way to get it done.

There is. If and when such a thread is started, just post pics of your finished projects from this past year in a reply. Or, is that too obvious?

Edited by SfanGoch

14 minutes ago, espo said:

While I agree with you on the "New" builds getting shoved down. I have seen this also and I feel sorry for someone who has put their efforts out there for all of to see and then watches as it slowly sinks too the second or third page. I know that some post builds that they may not have shown threw the year. Your idea of having a separate place to post year end picture seems like a great idea and maybe if there is a practical way to do that the moderators could see their way to get it done.

I don't see such a big deal about it. We are past half of December, so, we would have what, two weeks where people post the year in review threads? Like 1/24 of the year? And looking a cool stuff each builder did during the year, in just one thread by the builder, is way cool, at least in my point of view. The under glass section is not just the first page. I use to look at ten, 15 pages on a regular basis. No big deal guys.

20 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

I enjoy the year end posts as well, the thing I don't like is when someone quotes the whole post to say "nice builds"...

Pet(ty) peeve

Agreed!

It's very easy to quote if you would like without re-posting all of the photos associated with a particular post.

As an example of this, go take a look at the "Collection Pics" thread in the under glass section.

Page after page of the same photos re-posted over & over again! :rolleyes:

I only leave the photos in a quoted post if I want them there for some sort of comparison.

So please people, if we could refrain from that, it might eliminate the congestion & confusion of a dedicated thread for the year in review.

Steve

33 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

I enjoy the year end posts as well, the thing I don't like is when someone quotes the whole post to say "nice builds"...

Pet(ty) peeve

Not to mention calling the cars builds was the perfect way to piss off Harry. "It's not a build, it's a model car" Harry would say, and give us a mean look with his Clint Eastwood avatar. Boy I miss Harry. 

12 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Not to mention calling the cars builds was the perfect way to piss off Harry. "It's not a build, it's a model car" Harry would say, and give us a mean look with his Clint Eastwood avatar. Boy I miss Harry. 

Ops. That would be me I guess.

6 minutes ago, espo said:

Ops. That would be me I guess.

Don't worry about it. "Build" is a perfectly acceptable and commonly used noun in Model Airplane World, in Real Car World, and in Gun World, not just here in Model Car World. This was just a pet peeve of Harry's but I can assure you, he was in the minority on that. B)

Really!?!?!?!? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't see what getting the panties in a bunch here, because unless I'm missing something, there are only "My Year in Review" threads currently on the front pages of all 3 (including the pickup under glass and big rig under glass sections in the truck area) of the under glass sections of this forum, and both are in the car section! I guess that must just be two too many for some to handle! :rolleyes::o:lol:

I agree that the problem of Year In Review threads upstaging newly completed end-of-year projects is a meaningful one. It's a real challenge during the 4 weeks on either side of the New Year not losing them to the Dreaded Second Page. Perhaps a dedicated single thread might work, although it lacks the personal focus that making your own thread provides.

In any case I look forward to these summaries each year for several reasons. First off they inevitably feature wonderful models that I somehow missed, either by happenstance or out of shear prejudice, allowing the title of the original post to deceive me. And, in fact, there are some members who only post their completed models as a Year In Review. So, as a matter of choice, I look at every one that's posted, knowing that I will find some lost treasures if I do. Secondly, among the posts some members choose to write something about there overall impression of their Year At The Bench. I find that interesting and inspiring. For me it's an opportunity to experience a broader perspective on the community we share over our common interest here on the MCM Board. I think this is fitting during the Holiday Season.

In the other direction, the Year In Review ritual creates an opportunity for me to look back at my own year and summarize my own successes and failures, sharing this with those modeling friends on the board both familiar to me and who I might not have been aware of. I've noticed over the years, much as I comment on Year In Review posts by modelers whose work I have not acknowledged during the past year, there are quite a few comments by members who have otherwise not posted on my projects.

Edited by Bernard Kron