Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gluing Parts

Like espo, Model Master is my choice. It has a thin metal "needle point". 

Be careful - Testor's liquid cement is packaged similarly, but it has a plastic "needle point". I've found it more difficult to use and less precise from a packaging standpoint. I think the cement's the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Another trick I learned after purchasing a tool from micromark and giving it a closer look was, take a sewing needle and nip or grind the eye end off to make a fork. Then use this fork to transfer a tiny drop of glue to hard to reach assembly points. Surface tension of the liquid glue will hold in the fork until touched to the part. Works great for all types of thin adhesives. Mount the needle to a handle of your liking for better dexterity. Sewing needles come in a variety of sizes so you may want to use a smaller size for the thinner viscosity adhesives.

Nice thing about this set up is when it gets gunked up with glue it can be cleaned with the proper solvent and reused.

Edited by JohnU

On 12/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, JohnU said:

Another trick I learned after purchasing a tool from micromark and giving it a closer look was, take a sewing needle and nip or grind the eye end off to make a fork. Then use this fork to transfer a tiny drop of glue to hard to reach assembly points. Surface tension of the liquid glue will hold in the fork until touched to the part. Works great for all types of thin adhesives. Mount the needle to a handle of your liking for better dexterity. Sewing needles come in a variety of sizes so you may want to use a smaller size for the thinner viscosity adhesives.

Nice thing about this set up is when it gets gunked up with glue it can be cleaned with the proper solvent and reused.

I have been using this trick for years (long before Micro Mark started selling their tool).  I read about this tip I believe in the Finescale Modeler, in the '90s, in their reader's tips section.  As far as the gunked up tips go, I just scrape the glue off using a hobby knife with a well-used #11 blade.  It is quicker than using solvent.