Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Dodge Monaco gluebomb restoration

pack rat

This one was almost too far gone to save.

Purchased as an un-painted gluebomb on ebay years ago, the original builder used almost a whole tube of glue assembling it.  The glass was welded in so bad that I couldn't remove it; I had to use a polishing kit to remove the blobs of glue on the front and rear windows, then (very carefully) grind out the glue-covered vent windows with a Dremel.

After doing all that, sanding the glue blobs/fingerprints from the body masking the windows and priming it, I dropped the body, shattering the right front corner into about 5 pieces.

Considering what a mess this thing was, I'm happy.  I forgot to install the replacement vent windows I fabricated for it...but I'm almost afraid to touch it.    

DSCN4412.JPG

DSCN4414.JPG

DSCN4416.JPG

DSCN4424.JPG

1 hour ago, kelson said:

I would love to see some before pics.

Funny you should mention that; I took before pics as I was prying/sawing it apart, but I lost them.  This kit hates me. 

I have one old pic that doesn't show much of the damage, but if you look close at the driver's side A-pillar area you can see some of the glass damage (the rear window was much worse).  

aMPC 65 Dodge Monaco.JPG

Beautiful - and, as others have said, I would never have guessed that you'd started with a glue bomb.

I've posted a couple of models that lacked vent windows. There can be various reasons for doing that and if you don't mention it, nobody notices.