Model Cars Magazine Forum
jeffdeoranut

3d printing question

looking for a scrap piece of 3d printed material from a 1/25 or 1/25 part...I want to examine the surface texture before I buy 3d printed stuff...thanks

Well I can tell you first hand.Not sure if you've heard of Shapeways.com.They have a very large collection of pro mod bodies.Really wild stuff,in all different scales.Anyway I purchased a 66 Nova pro mod body.The body itself is very cool.However,it needed a very large amount of sanding,and even filler in certain areas of the car.The surface is pretty rough,and there are layered circles with in the body.I guess thats the best way I can describe it.Like I said,get plenty of sand paper.

I’ve got plenty of scraps I could send your way. PM me and I can help you out.   Ron is correct about it being rough, But I have ordered in 1/25 scale and 1/12 scale and the smaller scale isn’t  as bad and it depends on material also.  The ultra detail is worth the extra money in my opinion. 

Good points from all of you.  I have started a small business doing prints for the model community and can add to the discussion.  These are concerns I have had over the years using shapeways and in summary the surfaces have gotten better.   I use shapeways for my output and have felt they are the best for my uses.   The images shown here should give you a good sense of the surface difference.  The price difference Cheez referred to is an issue for some and not others.  For example the Wheel on the left was printed in the FED(Frosted Extreme Detail).  That wheel cost me 9.90 while it would have been 3.23 at the WSFP(White Strong Flexible Polished).  This wheel is at the 1:16 scale.  The price can increase quite a bit. 

Hopefully this answers you question when it comes to using prints.  If you have other questions I'll be more than happy to answer.

Happy Holidays.

Mike

IMG_4971.JPG.b3235a50c2850152acb0bdc246aa034f.JPGIMG_4972.JPG.a98f989afdc6ee3ad8fe5f6021a5bf61.JPGIMG_4973.JPG.4cf618460f30734875d2caeed4b22c34.JPG