Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Ford Engine Options?

If you're thinking of going with a Drag theme another kit to consider would be on of the Revell '64 Ford Thunder Bolt kits. The engine is supposed to represent the 427 High Riser 2-4's that Ford used in their Drag Racing  program at that time.

10 hours ago, espo said:

If you're thinking of going with a Drag theme another kit to consider would be on of the Revell '64 Ford Thunder Bolt kits. The engine is supposed to represent the 427 High Riser 2-4's that Ford used in their Drag Racing  program at that time.

I am indeed going for a vintage drag car theme. Thanks for the suggestion, David.

30 minutes ago, Dodge Driver said:

Also needing a spray can source for Vintage Burgundy paint, if anyone can advise.

Testor Model Master has a Burgundy enamel in spray cans, or at least they used to. It should be close. I can tell you that you can "influence" the color of it depending on the primer you use--white, black, red, or some shade of gray. Plastic spoon experiments would be indicated here. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Testor Model Master has a Burgundy enamel in spray cans, or at least they used to. It should be close. I can tell you that you can "influence" the color of it depending on the primer you use--white, black, red, or some shade of gray. Plastic spoon experiments would be indicated here. 

Thanks. I read on the forum that color was discontinued. I did find some on ebay. I better snatch some up.

In the Tamiya line there may be some choices to get to the color you're after. TS-11 Maroon may be on the dark side but maybe with a White primer it maybe OK. TS-33 Dull Red is a little lighter but is a dull finish. Your going to clear the paint job anyway so that shouldn't matter. New to me is their Oxide Red primer that maybe close also with a clear coat. Model Master offers Honduras Maroon #948 which is very close but it is a metallic and I don't think Ford had a metallic Maroon on their Drag Cars at that time.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

Model Master offers Honduras Maroon #948 which is very close but it is a metallic and I don't think Ford had a metallic Maroon on their Drag Cars at that time.  

Honduras Maroon is a brick-red maroon that isn't very close to Burgundy at all. 

'64 Ford Vintage Burgundy is listed as "poly," which means metallic in car-paint-speak. 

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1964-Ford-pg01.jpg

Here's what Model Master Burgundy looks like, more or less. 

69Olds1.jpg.00e5bfc6a4e1e9edc59278bd4b6bc5b0.jpg

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

The AMT 60 Ford Starliner Custom kit has an excellent 3X2  390/406/427 engine.  Very well detailed, one of AMT's best.

That engine is in the Custom kit and the 2 'n 1 kit, the factory stock kit above only has the stock 352 single four barrel option.
This is the best FE in kit form IMHO and the '60 Starliner kit is a great donor for other '60-'64 Galaxies and as you say one of AMT's best, period!
But, the 3X2 barrel option was not available on the 427, it was for the 390 (M-code '62-'63) and 406, (G-code '62-'63) the 427 was only available with single four barrel 410 hp (Q-code) or dual four barrels 425 hp (R-code) in '63½ and '64.
Except for the 3X2 the 2X4 option is also in the Custom and 2 'n 1 kits and the single 4 is in the factory stock and 2 'n 1 kits.
The Custom and 2 'n 1 kits also has the medium and long factory cast iron headers, a couple of valve cover options, the oval air cleaner and lots of other great stuff.

Edited by Force

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The ancient but outstanding Revell parts-pack Ford 427 has a very nice dual 4-bbl setup.

These kits have a reputation for being "fiddly", but a competent modeler can build a real gem from it.

Image result for revell parts pack ford 427       Related image

I have several of these parts packs but I never noticed this before, but it seems like Revell took some artistic freedom or made it easy for themselves on the supercharged version and put the distributor (wich looks to be a Spauding Flame Thrower magneto) at the back.
The only Ford engine that has the distributor at the back of the engine is the Y-block.

Edited by Force

5 hours ago, Force said:

I have several of these parts packs but I never noticed this before, but it seems like Revell took some artistic freedom or made it easy for themselves on the supercharged version and put the distributor (wich looks to be a Spauding Flame Thrower magneto) at the back.
The only Ford engine that has the distributor at the back of the engine is the Y-block.

You're partially correct. The FE engine represented here does indeed drive the distributor from the front of the block, like all fords except the Y.

This is correctly represented by the distributor location on the normally-aspirated engine.

To mount a "magneto" to the original distributor drive hole (and clear a blower) would only take an angle drive with bevel gears or an offset drive. Not really too much of a problem. A drive from the Gilmer belt, or off the back of the blower itself, or off the front cover is also an option...but YOU ARE CORRECT, the parts-pack-kit blown engine has the ignition gizmo in a place it couldn't be in reality.

HOWEVER...just to make things 100% clear, the Spalding "Flame Thrower" IS NOT A MAGNETO. It's simply two 4-cylinder distributors in a single housing, with two sets of points running on a 4-lobed rotor. Dwell-time is increased and coil-saturation is improved dramatically over a conventional ignition system, but it requires TWO EXTERNAL COILS...which of course a mag would not. Grant built the same unit after buying out Spalding, and it's a kinda PITA to setup for some guys, 'cause both sets of points need to be timed on a distributor machine.   B)

spalding4.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

15 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You're partially correct. The FE engine represented here does indeed drive the distributor from the front of the block, like all fords except the Y.

This is correctly represented by the distributor location on the normally-aspirated engine.

To mount a "magneto" to the original distributor drive hole (and clear a blower) would only take an angle drive with bevel gears or an offset drive. Not really too much of a problem. A drive from the Gilmer belt, or off the back of the blower itself, or off the front cover is also an option...but YOU ARE CORRECT, the parts-pack-kit blown engine has the ignition gizmo in a place it couldn't be in reality.

HOWEVER...just to make things 100% clear, the Spalding "Flame Thrower" IS NOT A MAGNETO. It's simply two 4-cylinder distributors in a single housing, with two sets of points running on a 4-lobed rotor. Dwell-time is increased and coil-saturation is improved dramatically over a conventional ignition system, but it requires TWO EXTERNAL COILS...which of course a mag would not. Grant built the same unit after buying out Spalding, and it's a kinda PITA to setup for some guys, 'cause both sets of points need to be timed on a distributor machine.   B)

Well I haven't gone in that deep in the workings of the Flame Thrower, now I know more.:P

7 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Is the Thunderbolt color what your after ?

If so maybe try Tamiya ( will update this post when I find the can I used for these )

EDIT, Found it. Tamiya TS11 maroon

2.thumb.JPG.a08822e134f27169a0fb157f7263515e.JPGA.thumb.jpg.b7a0bd1fcecf66ba632a25a544a1526c.jpg

Here's the color I am going for. I could very well have the name of the color wrong. The Tamiya Maroon looks very close, though.

image.png.ba3906e8bc776cd5f66323aa21f87fc6.png