Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Class of 2017

da Speedinger

Nice clean looking builds. The January and February "toys" made me smile. May is the "center fold" and August is really interesting and practical looking. October will get you in trouble for sure. March looks like you have to much disposable income, but I like it.  

All very well done - crisp and self assured. I especially like the "abstract" pieces at the start of the year, the simplified, brief bits of modeling expression. I've often thought about trying this approach - a kind of modeler's action painting. They must be tiny indeed, given the lanyard in January's little cart. Because the detail is so well done it's hard to determine the scales of most of these models, but in general they look quite small, so the execution is especially impressive to my eyes. The Porsche, for example, would look attractive in any scale. 2017 was a creatively fulfilling year on your bench, I'd say. I don't recall encountering them during the year on the Forums so it's nice to see them all here. All the best in 2018.

I liked them all, but the January build, oh boy!! That brings back memories. Almost killed myself in one just like yours. Here in Brasil, they are called "carrinho de rolimã". Me and my cousin Marcelo built two of those back in the '80s. We took them to the city hall hill in my home town, and we went like bullets downhill all afternoon. Bad part was to walk uphill with those things!! And dodging incoming cars... 

The party was over when my mother found us. Grounded forever!!!

1 hour ago, Bernard Kron said:

All very well done - crisp and self assured. I especially like the "abstract" pieces at the start of the year, the simplified, brief bits of modeling expression. I've often thought about trying this approach - a kind of modeler's action painting. They must be tiny indeed, given the lanyard in January's little cart. Because the detail is so well done it's hard to determine the scales of most of these models, but in general they look quite small, so the execution is especially impressive to my eyes. The Porsche, for example, would look attractive in any scale. 2017 was a creatively fulfilling year on your bench, I'd say. I don't recall encountering them during the year on the Forums so it's nice to see them all here. All the best in 2018.

Thank you very much for your kind words, Bernard.
In fact, those two scratch builds are not that small. The tyres of the boxcart were taken from a 1/24 Gunze Fiat 500 kit and the wheels of the pushbike are from a 1/18 Maisto diecast motorcycle. The idea behind was simple: if you can build it from wood, you can also build it from styrene.
The cars are 1/24 or 1/25, the bikes 1/12.

Edited by da Speedinger