Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chevrolet Fleetside Pickup Is Finally Done!!!

i am hoping you dont mind the tips below.   did you happen to primer the body before painting it?

also, i had paint cracks one time and found that by lightly sanding the body with 1200 then 1500 sand paper going opposite directions, then washing very thoroughly with dish soap before the primer and i never had any issues again. Also, make sure the primer is the same type of paint as the paint itself. like acrylic primer with acrylic paint (i typically try to use the same brands if possible).  I spend more time prepping the plastic vs actually painting

also, i found that if you do multiple thin coats instead of thicker coats will give you a paint job that will not run. The thinner the paint, the quicker it will dry/less likely for dust and other stuff to get into the paint. * the more coats you do does give more opportunity for dust or other stuff to land in the paint.

your interior and custom work is tremendous.

Edited by youpey

As I said before, painting is a "hit or miss" with me.  Yes, the cab and hood were primered after they were washed.  The problem lies with the fact that I had run out of paint with my old can and I went out and purchased a new can of the same brand and type of paint.  I had hoped that adding additional light coats of paint, I would be able to cover up were  the old can left off, but that didn't happen.  I am not totally unhappy with this "disaster", but like everything else in life, it's part of the learning curve that life throws at us.  I'll fix it and move on.  Thank you for the tips!

The Story

It wasn't long before a Brighton patrol car arrives on the scene.  McNally explains to the cops what had happened and how he caught Davey and it wasn't long before Lt. Macklin arrives with Lt. Troy right behind him.  The cops swap handcuffs on Davey and return McNally's cuffs and place him into their car for a ride downtown to BPD Headquarters.  David and his roommates watch from the front porch as the Brighton patrol cars leaves with their prisoner.  Another patrol car arrives and the cops start questioning David and his roommates while Lts. Macklin and Troy search Davey's room with McNally.

McNally and the cops leave David's house and return to BPD Hq.  Davey is placed into an Interrogation Room for questioning.  Davey thinks he has the upper hand by giving them cute and vague answers until Lt. Macklin turns up the heat with his questioning.  Davey realizes that he is in over his head and demands a lawyer.  The cops get up and leave the room and meet up with Lt. Troy outside in the hallway.  "McNally, what do you have in your hand," asks Lt. Macklin?  McNally replies, "Just a copy of the Boston Globe.  You guys mind if I go in, sit and read?"  Lt. Troy says, "Go ahead."

Lt. Macklin questions if McNally has the right to question the suspect and Lt. Troy says, "Just watch."  McNally sits at the table and starts reading the paper quietly when Davey says, "You hurt me!  Something's broken and I hurt inside and I'm gonna sue you for everything you own because of it!"  "No you won't," says McNally.  "You only used muscles you haven't used before."  "Oh ya?  I'll sue you so bad, you'll be begging me for the keys to that Chevy pickup over at Ollie's."  McNally folds the paper, gets up from the table, says thanks and walks out of the room.

The Build

With the hood and roof assembled, I started sanding the body and hood to get them fitting squarely.  I added some styrene to the hood hinge opening to narrow it.  This will keep the hood from moving around on the fenders.  This also allows me to keep the hood open without having to use a support.

McNally will return...

65Fleetside37.JPG

65Fleetside38.JPG

65Fleetside39.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Will do Greg!  Just make sure that you stay 2 steps behind me so I can show you the bits and pieces of my build.  ;)  One of the reasons for my being here is to show you guys little ideas like the hinge slots!  I have lots of them...I just haven't thought of them yet! :D

The Story

McNally and the two lieutenants meet upstairs in Lt. Macklin's office to discuss a strategy for raiding Ollie's Body Shop in Brighton.  Macklin calls his UC, Det. Harry Colm to find out where he is and if he can come into the office.  Det. Colm says he can and will be there in 15 minutes.  McNally asks Lt. Troy how this will affect his investigation of the Mathieus murder and Adam replies that he question Davey further and the evidence he has is pointing towards him.  Macklin tells McNally since he is a public citizen, he cannot participate in the raid and that he doesn't have any protection like a bullet-proof vest, to which McNally replies, "Oh, yes I do!" 

McNally walks out of the office and goes to his car to retreive his vest and Det. Colm walks into the office while he is gone.  He brings the lieutenants up to speed on his undercover investigation.  McNally returns to the office with his bullet-proof vest which has "PI" stenciled on the front and back.  It's an idea that he had while watching a TV show about a New York cop and a writer.  The vest has been through several car crashes and destructions, but it's still in very good condition.

The Build

I did a mockup of the truck to see how it is coming together.  So far, I like it!

McNally will return...

65Fleetside40.JPG

65Fleetside41.JPG

65Fleetside42.JPG

Edited by mrmike

The Story

Since Lt. Det. Macklin is in charge of this operation, Lt. Det. Troy and McNally will wait until they are given the OK to enter the body shop.  A group of officers from Auto Theft, Homicide, and off-duty patrol officers will make up the force entering the body shop with a smaller group of officers arresting the chopper and thieves.  Lt. Troy in the meantime will continue to question Davey about the murder of Peter Mathieus.  The search of Davey's room found the murder weapon, a large folding knife, hidden in an heating duct still covered with traces of Peter's blood and Davey's fingerprints.  A doorbell video shows a hooded figure with a partial view of the murderer's face committing the gruesome crime.

The Build

I painted the Chevy this morning and it looks pretty good.  A wetsanding, clear coat, and polishing and then I can assemble the truck. 

McNally will return...

65Fleetside43.JPG

65Fleetside44.JPG

65Fleetside45.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The Story

Lt. Det. Macklin organizes the raid on Ollie's Body Shop while Lt. Det. Troy tries to question Davey on the murder of Peter Mathius.  Davey is uncooperative and his public defender tells him to not answer any questions.  Lt. Troy decides to return to the body shop with McNally to help with the raid with Lt. Det. Macklin and the Auto Theft Squad.  It is now after well midnight and the Police officers quietly surround the building.  With all exits covered, Lt. Macklin gives the command to go and the Police enter the shop with their weapons drawn and the occupants are caught off guard.

The Build

I had to repaint the bed of the truck when I noticed several marks on the passenger side when it was found resting on it's side  A careful masking and repaint was in order but the color is a shade darker so I'll have to mask off the body and add another coat of paint and several coats of clear to it.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to do this, but armed with a with a cup of Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White, a 000 brush, and my magnifier, I painted the lettering on the tailgate.

McNally will return...

65Fleetside46.JPG

65Fleetside47.JPG

65Fleetside48.JPG

Thank you David!

The Story

As the Police roundup the suspects and handcuff them all, McNally and Lt. Troy walk into the garage and stand in the doorway looking around.  McNally looks to his right and sees the Chevy Pickup off to the side.  He walks over to the truck and looks inside and the keys are in the ignition and the truck overall looks to be untouched.  Lt. Macklin walks over to them and says, "There's your missing truck, McNally."  McNally smiles and replies, "Yep.  You've got your work cut out for you."  "It's gonna be a long night," replies Lt. Macklin.

The day after Peter's funeral, McNally pulls up to the Mathius house follow by a flatbed wrecker.  The wrecker has Peter's missing pickup on the back.  The wrecker stops in the street and unloads the old Chevy into the street and McNally gets in and starts it up and drives the pickup into the driveway next to Caroline's Chrysler 300.  She comes out of the house to see McNally just as an old Plymouth Neon pulls up to the house and David gets out of the car.  Caroline thanks McNally for his work and goes over to David and they hug each other.

McNally walks over to the wrecker driver and signs his paperwork.  He puts the papers into the truck except for the towing bill which goes into his pocket.  He gets into his Dodge Challenger SRT8 and drives away, watching mother and son hug each other.

McNally will return...

The Build

I have finished my '65 Chevy Fleetside Pickup and it is posted in Under Glass.  As I started final assembly, I notice the cab and the bed are two different shades of metallic orange.  They will stay that way since both have been painted and clearcoated and I don't feel like trying to correct the mis-matched colors.  I would like to thank all those who have taken the time to view and to comment on my build.

Edited by mrmike

• 1 month later...