Model Cars Magazine Forum

I guess I'm far enough into this that it's going to get done. This build is inspired by the "King of Obsolete" L9000 that was on Ice Road Truckers a few seasons back though I'm making several changes. I lifted the truck a bit and added a sleeper, I'm also going to add an auxiliary transmission, at least one hydraulic winch, and a headache rack. Power is a non-turbo 8v-71 from the 4070A kit with the accessories moved around a bit, the cab and frame are from a Coke delivery truck shortened two or three inches. The wheels are also from the 4070 kit, the sleeper is from the GMC General kit, the rear suspension is from the California Hauler, and the hood is a resin piece from ebay. I bought it thinking it was a Plaskit piece but I fear it might be a copy. The color will be weathered black with gray wheels. I still have to pick the tanks and scare up a fifth wheel, along with building the headache rack.20171219_014836.thumb.jpg.b37d9b75c9a2cf4431e261afb0afcb8d.jpg20171219_014855.thumb.jpg.53a9f27cb25114aa1e9cf7e82b456e03.jpg20171219_014959.thumb.jpg.792de665dbd6b230d40aa84e1b41629b.jpg

I'm really liking this build! Everything about it is cool! Detroit power, Auxiliary trans, and a Louisville cab, with a GMC sleeper to boot. Great start on a great project!

By the way Auslowe has some great Ford tanks (Rectangle with the battery box on top), but it takes about 6 weeks to get them. The quality is very nice though.

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I'm really liking this build! Everything about it is cool! Detroit power, Auxiliary trans, and a Louisville cab, with a GMC sleeper to boot. Great start on a great project!

By the way Auslowe has some great Ford tanks (Rectangle with the battery box on top), but it takes about 6 weeks to get them. The quality is very nice though.

I think I might rob some out of one of the Mack kits out now, the real truck has big mismatched auxiliary tanks too so I've got a bit freedom.

36 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

L 9000 project looks great.  Already it is a big improvement over the LN front end. The L was always more popular than the LN,  but leave it to AMT to do the oddballs. IF, the L front end was easily available, I would buy 4 or 5 today.

Yep, the kit would be so much more versatile as a regular L.

In a new endeavor in self flagellation I've come up with a way to make tire cables out of small jewelry chain and guitar string. I've had to order some cheap bulk strings to get enough for all four wheels so it will be a while yet until I can finish this, hopefully the weather will clear so I can get some painting done.

chains.thumb.jpg.1cc7f96a3dad490d53374785a9937767.jpg