Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ryder 1980 Mack Cruiseliner

I started this project with the intention of building it box stock except for the wheels. The company that my dad worked for in the early 80's rented one of these for a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to build a similar one. I didn't realize the changes to the Cruiseliner from 75 to 81 until I started this project. My goal is to build a well worn rental truck.

Here's the engine. I started it before I realized that I was going to make this one an 80 model. If I had known, I would have probably painted it grey.

25303634698_ea2767a154_k.jpgIMG_6992 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

39168723391_b0e8cd7fd4_k.jpgIMG_6990 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

25303641668_130acb310d_k.jpgIMG_6989 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

The 77 and newer models had filler panels beside the headlight. I made some by cutting the corners out of an old cab.

27391526419_441c6bc11a_k.jpgIMG_7017 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

The paint turned out so good that I almost hated to spray dull on it, but a daily rental wouldn't be super shiny. Today was a very shaky day for me. The trim around the vents didn't turn out as good as I would have liked it to. I added some finger prints in common areas.

39138423442_fa2452e8bd_k.jpgIMG_7073 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

39138417702_a5ff7cadf7_k.jpgIMG_7072 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

39138411122_7b7763f1dc_k.jpgIMG_7077 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Thanks guys!

4 hours ago, guitarsam326 said:

Lookin good Brian! 

Just a little tip i learned while building the acar, if you weather the cab with oils then they will flow better along panel and detail lines before you shoot the dull coat. After the dull coat oils tend to spider instead....just a thought!

Thanks Sam! I've done some weathering on the cab with mixed feelings about the results. I'm debating between starting over and making it factory new, or proceeding as planned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the comments guys! I've started back to work on this one. I've had sort of mixed feelings about this build. After I began to weather the cab, I almost wished that I would have left it shiny. Oh Well! It's growing on me. The chassis is done other than weathering. Still have to put the extras on the cab. Then a little finish work.

17 minutes ago, Pete68 said:

Looking good I like the drive tires 

Thanks Lee. I like them too. I would really like to know who made them and where to get some more. I got them off Ebay.

40234795741_731e0bc27e_k.jpgIMG_7496 by Brian Smith, on Flickr