Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever have leftover parts and wonder what to do with them?

You might think these parts would be cool for something...but what?

I got a 1/24 Opel Blitz fire truck. I will not be using the fire truck parts, so I'm wondering what to use that water tank for. I know, kind of a weird train of thought.  The thread about show cars has me thinking of some early '70s oddball rod, but the idea is just not coming together. 

Maybe a weird post. Sort of a "thinking out loud" kind of thing.

3 hours ago, LDO said:

I got a 1/24 Opel Blitz fire truck. I will not be using the fire truck parts, so I'm wondering what to use that water tank for. I know, kind of a weird train of thought.  The thread about show cars has me thinking of some early '70s oddball rod, but the idea is just not coming together. 

Dirt-track water truck or even just a trailer, behind a beat-up AMT '53 Ford, Lindberg Dodge L700, etc.?  Local (residential) fuel delivery truck, behind...something?  Anthony Hazelaar cut down a Monogram 1/24 Mack tank and built a Model TT tanker, link below.  That might cross right over into your "oddball rod" idea.

Speaking of leftover parts...when I started the old MPC '34 Ford Modified Stocker recently, I learned pretty quick to identify exactly which parts would be used.  The leftovers I put aside in a plastic bag.  That thing has 4 different hoods, 3 different firewalls and 2 different rear bulkheads IIRC, 2 or 3 different air cleaners, etc. etc. I know they did that to cover the several different versions of the kit. But it got confusing pretty quickly. Especially since almost every part number on the sprue had a sink mark right in the middle, making it really hard to read the part numbers.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/tonhazelaar/wwwhome/25t-tanktruck.html

Edited by Mike999
error