Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep Rubicon Conversion to four door hardtop

Here’s another scratch build fun project using the kit pictured, since to my knowledge no four door hard top late model kits have been made.  Maybe Tamiya?  I’m not paying that, and scratch building is much more fun.  I cut the body, chassis, interior tub to allow for the black doors.  Right now it it’s rough, but will get the putty and sanding treatment to look original.  The hard top will have to be entirely scratch built.  

48F9A5BD-74C3-43BF-B6A2-8E7D361A579B.jpeg

C48BFDCF-6026-44D2-899D-7864FDF1483F.jpeg

CB9A8819-B317-428B-B87C-44C3AD45F8EA.jpeg

7244F8B2-1AAD-4375-9FCB-60CFC8E349B6.jpeg

21 hours ago, cpspoogie said:

Here’s another scratch build fun project using the kit pictured, since to my knowledge no four door hard top late model kits have been made.  Maybe Tamiya?  I’m not paying that, and scratch building is much more fun.  I cut the body, chassis, interior tub to allow for the black doors.  Right now it it’s rough, but will get the putty and sanding treatment to look original.  The hard top will have to be entirely scratch built.  

48F9A5BD-74C3-43BF-B6A2-8E7D361A579B.jpeg

C48BFDCF-6026-44D2-899D-7864FDF1483F.jpeg

CB9A8819-B317-428B-B87C-44C3AD45F8EA.jpeg

7244F8B2-1AAD-4375-9FCB-60CFC8E349B6.jpeg

I wouldn't hold my breath that a model kit manufacturer will make a "TJ" Rubicon 4 door kit- it was never made in 1:1. The TJ platform Wrangler (like the Revell kit you are building) was made for the 1997-2006 model years. While the "Rubicon" and "Unlimited" nameplates did indeed make their debut in the Jeep TJ platform, the Unlimited TJ was simply a longer wheelbase 2 door than the base Wrangler...the 4 door Wrangler Unlimited was not released until 2007 in the all new "JK" platform. 

If you want to build a 4 door TJ, it will be cool regardless- lots of customized Jeeps in the real world including pickup conversions, but it will be a phantom never offered by Jeep. After you are done with your TJ build, if you get the bug to build a JK platform 4 door Wrangler, the (expensive) new Rubicon kit from Meng might be a good starting point for conversion to a 4 door:

^^ probably the only game in town, unless another manufacturer decides to kit the "JKU" 4 door. I'd expect to see a model kit of the all new 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL that will soon hit dealers' lots (and be sold alongside the older JK for part of 2018 model year) before any of the model kit manufacturers tools up for a Jeep JK Unlimited.

5 hours ago, gman said:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/four-door-tj.5000/

^^ here is a custom 1:1 for you should you need some inspiration

Gman, thanks so much for all the info and resources.  This is a one off for me, as I like to do them for friends.  I either do their first cars or favorite cars, and this one she wants the new 2018 four door. I don’t know a thing about jeeps.  I figured I’d cut up and amend this one into something she’d like.  I hope it turns out ok.  I’m still learning but I love to scratch build or customize builds.  Thanks again!  

22 hours ago, gman said:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/four-door-tj.5000/

^^ here is a custom 1:1 for you should you need some inspiration

Gman, thanks so much for all the info and resources.  This is a one off for me, as I like to do them for friends.  I either do their first cars or favorite cars, and this one she wants the new 2018 four door. I don’t know a thing about jeeps.  I figured I’d cut up and amend this one into something she’d like.  I hope it turns out ok.  I’m still learning but I love to scratch build or customize builds.  Thanks again!  

Some additional progress.  The chassis has been done in flat black and will get some gray dry brushing for highlights.  I’m on the fence if I want to make this one dusty and slightly muddy...will have to ask the new owner.  The scratch build is a challenge.  I’m going to have to start making actual measurements instead of eye balling and trimming, but what you see here is going to be puttied over and sanded, and I’ve used some very thin sheet styrene for new doors.  I’ll make hatches and door handles the same way.  

D18298DE-E5EB-4106-8EFD-12D53352B818.jpeg

C0EF245E-E106-47B5-85A8-601E73F5C2AE.jpeg

Doors fitted.  Lots of sanding and trimming to do. It’s not easy.  The hardtop is not fitting well, but I think with some putty it will be ok.  Was going flat black for the top, but will try and make it as close to this one as possible.  My friend is trying to win one like this for her business, so I figured I’d make her this one ha!

78671453-D0F0-4668-8E6D-B019213F9736.jpeg

On 25/12/2017 at 12:39 PM, cpspoogie said:

Doors fitted.  Lots of sanding and trimming to do. It’s not easy.  The hardtop is not fitting well, but I think with some putty it will be ok.  Was going flat black for the top, but will try and make it as close to this one as possible.  My friend is trying to win one like this for her business, so I figured I’d make her this one ha!

78671453-D0F0-4668-8E6D-B019213F9736.jpeg

Now that's just what I would like but difficult to get here in the UK.

I did some filling and sanding.  It’s going to take a LOT of that.  You can still see the lines aren’t spot on yet, because I have to do it in short sessions due to my hands.  I think once it all lines up and gets new door lines carved in and sanded, door handles, hinges, etc., it should be ok.  Ways to go yet...

E405A2D9-AB68-48A4-AC3E-6A1AE4407053.jpeg

4D92380E-DE61-41FD-BD80-BBBE33AF7A3F.jpeg

Squadron is easy to shape but relatively coarse.  It sands easily and so it is good for roughing in shapes.  I then follow that with Tamiya white.  It is much finer and harder.  Still sands easily and leaves a smoother surface.  I usually get things close with this and then use automotive spot putty after this.  It is basically thick primer and sands very smooth.  I also use it to sharpen body lines.  Then a coat of filler primer (Dupli-Color) which is thick but sands off easily. Then a fine primer and topcoat after that.

3 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Squadron is easy to shape but relatively coarse.  It sands easily and so it is good for roughing in shapes.  I then follow that with Tamiya white.  It is much finer and harder.  Still sands easily and leaves a smoother surface.  I usually get things close with this and then use automotive spot putty after this.  It is basically thick primer and sands very smooth.  I also use it to sharpen body lines.  Then a coat of filler primer (Dupli-Color) which is thick but sands off easily. Then a fine primer and topcoat after that.

Excellent advice and thank you!

On 1/5/2018 at 7:56 PM, chadrob30 said:

Here is one a buddy of mine did...

25734073_10214704188656271_2405314112289488759_o.jpg

Wow that’s a great job!  Looks like it came that way.  This one won’t look as good since I had to make that top and windows, but I’ll learn a lot in the process.  Thanks for sending!

On 1/7/2018 at 11:38 AM, chadrob30 said:

No problem. Are you a member of any model building groups on Facebook? Tons of knowledge and great folks in most of them lol

Thanks but I absolutely hate Facebook.  I tried trading and selling in some of those groups too, and got hacked three times in one week.  Never again.  But I appreciate the thought!