Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ya ever notice how many different Hemi Valve covers there are

Guest Gramps-xrds

Guest Gramps-xrds

It seems that every time I build something w/ a Hemi in it, the valve covers are different lookin. Here's some I picked outa the box and these aren't new. I personally like the 392 style. Some of the old Duces had them but they had no gasket flanges, so I decided to add some. The ones on the lower left are them.

DSCF0826.jpg

It really is amazing huh? I got kits from the early '60s to today and theres about more than 70-80 different hemi valve covers...I got a whole large plastic bin full of them valve covers as well as the engines. AMT made the best ones which were more realistic for the late '50s to late '60s. Even got a few dual plug valve covers from the early '70s MPC Pro stock kits

Like you, I'am quite fond of the 392 covers! Theres just something about collecting Hemi valve covers. :(

~ Jeff

Jeff, when I used to go to Charlotte North Carolinia there were alwat folks who were selling som variation of Hemi valve covers. My Favorite shows were the two that were held at the Fairgrounds, Metrolinia to be exact the weather there in the winter can really bother ya as I suffer from arthritis real bad. It's a great show and I would always see models for sale thjere too. It was also where I could see Dennis Carpenter of Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproductions. his stuff might be expensive, but it always fits. I wish his shipping people would tighten up sometimes though . Ed Shaver

:D Yeah Bill, I know whacha mean. My all time favorite 426 Hemi valve covers came on the Jo Han models.The ones with the raised fins and M/T logos! The real ones went for 250.00 a pair back in the day! Probly well over a 1000.00 today!But yeah, seems like EVERY Hemi had different valva covers!Or would they be called rocker arm covers? :D

Guest Gramps-xrds
i'll join ya ;) . Hey gramps how many hemis do you have??? I never knew that there were so many valve covers. Nice observation

Florian

Well I just did a quick count of the ones I have on the bench ready for rebuild and theres 23 there, and god knows how many I have stuck in cars on the shelf and that's not counting the ones still in unbuilt kits. So really I don't know how many I have.

Raul

Did I read what you said right ? The new revell Willys comes w/ a hemi now? :D;)

That just goes to show how long it's been since I bought one. I have the 41 coupe and the pick up and neither had a hemi. But both are quit old kits. :(;) That's all I need is another hemi :o:P

Florian

Well I just did a quick count of the ones I have on the bench ready for rebuild and theres 23 there, and god knows how many I have stuck in cars on the shelf and that's not counting the ones still in unbuilt kits. So really I don't know how many I have.

Raul

Did I read what you said right ? The new revell Willys comes w/ a hemi now? :D:lol:

That just goes to show how long it's been since I bought one. I have the 41 coupe and the pick up and neither had a hemi. But both are quit old kits. :D:D That's all I need is another hemi :blink::blink:

The '40 Coupe/Pickup is an AMT kit. I'm not sure which engine comes in that kit.

The '43 Willys pickup from Revell and recently released by the Model King have a Ford engine.

The newer Revell Willys kits, (Stone, Woods Cook, John Mazmanian and the Street Rod versions without the opening doors), all had the 392 HEMI.

Guest Gramps-xrds
how do you get so many engines?!

im just getting started with scratch builds and such and there are so many projects i cant finish because i dont have the right engine, i cant find a place to buy them

Conner I've got a big shoe box full of the decent engines that I dig through to find one I want to use and I think there's 2 model boxes that are junk engines. :D:lol: But I've been building models for 40 some yrs, so I've had a while to acumulate them. Most of the older models came w/ 2 engine options, stock & rod versions. Give it some time and you'll have collected a few yourself :D:D

Conner I've got a big shoe box full of the decent engines that I dig through to find one I want to use and I think there's 2 model boxes that are junk engines. :lol::lol: But I've been building models for 40 some yrs, so I've had a while to acumulate them. Most of the older models came w/ 2 engine options, stock & rod versions. Give it some time and you'll have collected a few yourself :P:P

man i hope so, i have 3 models that have been waiting on the right engine. but then again that also means ill have all three of their stock engines too...

haha ok so maybe i really have started my own collection already :lol:

A hemispherical (i.e., bowl-shaped) combustion chamber allows the valves of a two valve-per-cylinder engine to be angled rather than side-by-side. This creates more space in the combustion chamber roof for the use of larger valves and also straightens the airflow passages through the cylinder head. These improvements significantly improve the engine's airflow ("breathing") capacity, which can result in relatively high power output from a given piston displacement. With a hemi combustion chamber, there is minimal quench and swirl to burn the fuel-air mix thoroughly and quickly; the spark plug is frequently located at or near the centroid of the chamber to facilitate complete combustion. Engines with hemispherical combustion chambers often use dome-topped pistons to attain the desired compression ratio.

All this creates a very wide head.

Chrysler built three generations of hemi engines for automobiles: the first (known as the Chrysler FirePower engine) in the 1950s, the second from the mid 1960s through the mid 1970s, and the third in the early 2000s.

Stands to reason that each era would have different shaped and styled valve covers. The modern Hemi doesn't look that much like a hemi at all and more like a SOHC Ford Modular engine at a glance. :lol:

Chrysler also made industrial engines for agricultural work. As a kid I saw one of these "workhorses" behind the back of a Canadian barn in 1975 inside the pump shed connected to an irrigation pump. The engine was not real huge.... almost like it was a 7/8's scale but it was soooo pretty in rusty patina with those huge valve covers!

There is also the Desoto Firedome. I don't think the Desoto Fireflyte was ever modeled

That's right, Sam. Fireflyte valve covers 1:1 are scarce as hens teeth, too. (I have a DeSoto Firedome in my 1:1 '27 T Tub: Hiboy on '32 rails)

My brother and I have 354 Chrysler Hemis in our '27 T Hiboy roadsters, and both have '37 LaSalle boxes. His valve covers say "Chrysler IMPERIAL", while mine are "Chrysler INDUSTRIAL".